Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Halifax?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Beer in Halifax?

Post by The_Jester »

Bobsy wrote:
Magni wrote:Belgian: Premium Wine and Spirits in Halifax
That's a damn good store, with a nice selection of Rogue. The guys who run it also seem knowledgeable too.

I was going to ask this off-topic in another thread, but decided to move it over here.

I have a buddy heading to Nova Scotia in a couple of weeks. What do I ask him to get me (that I can't get in Ontario)? I've got an $80 to $100 spending limit. I'd like to sample a few East Coast beers, but am also interested in imports. Premier's website isn't very helpful.

(I've already put Propeller Porter, Bitter and IPA, and Garrison Black Lager, Brown and IPA on the list).
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Youve covered pretty much all the locals worth trying (Propellor and Garrison).

PM OKbeer if he doesn't post here and he may know whats up at PG.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Garrison weizenbock (if its still in stock...and only at the brewery by Pier 21) is an outstanding beer. Their Martello Stout is also worth seeking out. I had a look for the black lager, but I was shit out of luck, so I doubt he'll find any. Premier carries some flying dog stuff (including horn dog - which I highly recommend - and road dog porter), as well as some Sam Smith's (the taddy porter is out of this world). Their best Rogue offering is probably the Shakespeare Stout, but if I remember right they also had mocha porter as well as some of the ones we have seen come in through the LCBO in the past few years. Propeller pilsner is an excellent beer, and I believe their IPA is pretty good (I have one in the fridge right now). All the beers I mentioned were available when I was in Halifax 4 weeks ago, so your friend should be able to pick up some good stuff.

If he likes beer himself, I would highly reccomend he visits the Rogue's Roost brewpub on Spring Garden. They do an excellent IPA, weizen and brown.

Magni

Post by Magni »

Bobsy has pretty much covered beer in Halifax, a bit of porter from propeller wouldn't be so bad either.
I'll be in Premier within the next day or two, i'll make a list of what they are carrying but i am quite sure it's just a few rogues, samual smith - what was mentioned before.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Can't add much, other than to make sure to tell your friend it's Premier rather than Premium, and that there's an off chance that Vinart Wines (in Bayer's Lake which your friend might well end up in if they're planning on any shopping) might still have some Black Lager. They were the only ones to still have it a few months ago and it didn't look like it was going anywhere fast.

Premier has had some Belgians that aren't necessarily widely available. They're not in stock consistently. Poperings Hommelbier, the Het Kappitel beers (Abt, Pater, Prior, Blond), Scotch Silly, Wittekirke, and a few others that may not be availabel in Ontario.

Oh, and of course, there's the rumour I mentioned in the other thread that Premier has 6 beers coming in from Dieu du Ciel. That's from 2 guys in the local beer/homebrewing club quoting people working in the store.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Thanks very much, everyone.

My buddy Chris is on his way to becoming a beer guy, is open minded, and appreciates a good brew. So all suggestions are appreciated. The key will be to keep him from drinking everything before he gets back.

As an aside, do any of the East Coast micros offer tours. He toured Keith's last summer - said the beer was bland but the tour was interesting.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I haven't taken that tour but I've been told it comes complete with all the propaganda about their beer being akin to the style made for troops in India during the 1800's. "hence the name"! Then they hand out the weak, hop lacking swill they brew there and expect everyone to be impressed. ACK!
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The_Jester wrote:Thanks very much, everyone.

My buddy Chris is on his way to becoming a beer guy, is open minded, and appreciates a good brew. So all suggestions are appreciated. The key will be to keep him from drinking everything before he gets back.

As an aside, do any of the East Coast micros offer tours. He toured Keith's last summer - said the beer was bland but the tour was interesting.

I also wanted to do a tour of Garrison or Propeller, but they only offer them for groups, so unless he can rustle up a posse he's struck out on that one. Has anyone done any of the brewery tours in Toronto, and are they worthwhile?

Magni

Post by Magni »

I did a tour of Propeller on Canada day, it's a good tour, you may be lucky and manage to sneak your way into a tour group doing it.
The Keiths tour is pretty decent, but yes, the beer is bland.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Bobbyok wrote: Oh, and of course, there's the rumour I mentioned in the other thread that Premier has 6 beers coming in from Dieu du Ciel. That's from 2 guys in the local beer/homebrewing club quoting people working in the store.
Just got an email confirming the DDC beers are now in stock.

Magni

Post by Magni »

Well then, looks like I'll be making my way there. Today.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Bobbyok wrote: Just got an email confirming the DDC beers are now in stock.
Don't suppose they've got Aphrodisiaque . . . ?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

The_Jester wrote:
Bobbyok wrote: Just got an email confirming the DDC beers are now in stock.
Don't suppose they've got Aphrodisiaque . . . ?
No, they're only bottling 6 of their beers currently:

Corne du Diable (IPA)
Peché Mortel (Imp Coffee Stout)
Dernière Volant (Belgian Blonde)
Fumisterie (something with hemp)
Rosée d'Hibiscus (Hibiscus Wheat)
Route des Épices (Peppercorn Rye)

Aphrodisiaque makes pretty rare appearances. Ask JerCraigs about that.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bobbyok wrote: Aphrodisiaque makes pretty rare appearances. Ask JerCraigs about that.
They have also recently started bottling Equinoxe de Printemps.

The Aphrodisiaque story Bobby refers to can be found here

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JerCraigs wrote:
Bobbyok wrote: Aphrodisiaque makes pretty rare appearances. Ask JerCraigs about that.
They have also recently started bottling Equinoxe de Printemps.

The Aphrodisiaque story Bobby refers to can be found here
:D :D :D

Man, and I got it on my first visit to DDC. Guess I'm a lucky bastard!