Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo(Village Beer Merchant)

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rossolee

Buffalo(Village Beer Merchant)

Post by rossolee »

I usually hit up Premier or Consumers when in Buffalo, but I stopped by the Village Beer Merchant yesterday. Its located near the downtown on Elmwood, a good stop on your way to Coles. Anyways.. a great selection of U.S/Euro micros. Very reasonably priced.. bombers were priced around $5. It was hard to only grab 6 at that price(S.N Harvest Fresh Hop, Laugunitas Maximus,Bear Republic XP p.a, Stone IPA)but I didn't want to push my luck at the border, since I was only going over for a few hours. Beer Village is certainly worth checking out if going to Buffalo. They also have a Growler station, and deli with some great looking cheeses,meats,condiments etc...

I stopped by Coles for wings and both the GreenFlash IPA and HopHead Red. Hop-a-licous :)

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Village Beer Merchant is a great spot and an nice addition to the Buffalo beer scene. Great Growler options as well.

Greg/Cass - perhaps move this thread under the "planning a trip to Buffalo" thread? This local beer guide is a great idea, but it will become just as messy and unorganized as it was before if various threads about the same place are scattered...

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

Its the token Buffalonian chiming in here..

VBM is a great place (and a 5 minute walk from my house!) - I highly recommend it to everyone, especially if you're already going to Cole's or Goodbar.

VBM has a (horrible to look at) myspace page, at http://www.myspace.com/villagebeer -- They occasionally post info on events, what is available in bottles & growlers, etc.

cheers,
rudy

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

tupalev wrote:Greg/Cass - perhaps move this thread under the "planning a trip to Buffalo" thread? This local beer guide is a great idea, but it will become just as messy and unorganized as it was before if various threads about the same place are scattered...
Cass might know something I don't, but I don't think there's any way to merge threads on this forum software.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

If the threads for a given location can't be merged then I'd suggest having only the most detailed or most recent be the one given the place designation. We could merely add replies that quote the URL for the other threads that relate to that place. I was thinking of doing this for the several old threads that are specific to London England.

Ideally I'd always imagined one topic for every place with all info being posted there to keep it all simple. If we can't post/merge the old info this way perhaps we can institute this policy moving forward. Any new info about a location should only be added to an existing thread about that place unless it hasn't previously been discussed and therefore merits a new thread.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Or conversely Jeff - If one thread were principally about one store (Premier Gourmet) perhaps it's good not to make a whole bunch of them into a 'monster thread' that's hard to follow.

2 cents - good to keep it fresh, & old threads die off for a reason (unwieldy & the information is so old it's now 50% useless.)
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Popped into Village Beer Merchant yesterday to fill up my backpack. Awesome little place which makes you realise how hard done by we are. Prices seemed very reasonable, and the selection was extensive. Lots of Stone, NY micros, Belgians, Germans and British stuff. I picked up:
Smuttynose Wheatwine
Southampton Imperial Porter
North Coast Old Stock 2007
Troegs Nugget Nectar
Sam Adams Hallertrau Imperial Pils
Lagunitas Brown Shugga
Celis White
Great Lakes Imperial Dortmunder

Its about 10 minutes walk south of Cole's on Elmwood.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

I tried to go there when at the Cole's rare beer fest but they didn't open at 12 like they were supposed to so I just went up to Premier. Will have to try again next time. :)
Mat

carguy

Post by carguy »

You can actually do a day trip to Buffalo and come back with beer? I always thought you had to be there 48 hours in order to bring back liquor.[/quote]

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

carguy wrote:You can actually do a day trip to Buffalo and come back with beer? I always thought you had to be there 48 hours in order to bring back liquor.
[/quote]

you can cross spend 1/2 hr in a bottle shop and come back through, you just have to pay customs on your purchase

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Nope, you can bring back upto 45L. You need to declare what you have, and they'll make you pay duty if you have very much. The duty on about $500 of beer one time for me was $100. The 48 hour thing just gives you an exception from paying duty on an amount of liquor.
Mat

carguy

Post by carguy »

Well, I did not know that. Thanks for the info guys!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

mjohnston wrote:The duty on about $500 of beer one time for me was $100.
Mat - that must have been quite the beer run!

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

Yeah, I guess. I don't remember what I bought. Freakin hell. I lost control :)
Mat

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Anyone know what the legalities are on taking growlers over the border? I've got a couple and was wondering if its possible to fill them at VBM and bring them back?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole