Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Gatineau - bottle purchases

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
mintjellie wrote:Is there an English option for their website?
Just type the web address into google and it will give you the option to translate the page into English.
Stupid me. I've done that before, and never thought to do that for this site.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Nice, looks like I'll be stimulating the Gatineau economy this weekend! I wonder how much of their business (this place, Trappe, Jovi) depends Ottawans...

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Bytowner wrote:Nice, looks like I'll be stimulating the Gatineau economy this weekend! I wonder how much of their business (this place, Trappe, Jovi) depends Ottawans...
Damn even include Costco. Ottawans roll in to grab the 55 can Coors/Dry/Export cases.

A lot of people I know buy their beer in Quebec, good beer or not.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Was in Broue Ha Ha yesterday and they have filled their shelves out nicely. Lots of stuff that both Omni and Trappe don't carry.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

cfrancis wrote:Was in Broue Ha Ha yesterday and they have filled their shelves out nicely. Lots of stuff that both Omni and Trappe don't carry.
When I talked with the owner, he mentioned he was working with shipping companies to see how he can improve his pull from all parts of the province. Sounds like it is starting to pay off.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

inertiaboy wrote:
cfrancis wrote:Was in Broue Ha Ha yesterday and they have filled their shelves out nicely. Lots of stuff that both Omni and Trappe don't carry.
When I talked with the owner, he mentioned he was working with shipping companies to see how he can improve his pull from all parts of the province. Sounds like it is starting to pay off.
On top of that, he seems pretty eager to take requests. When I asked if he carried a particular Quebec brewery, he went straight to the phone to make some calls to find out if they actually shipped bottles. (No, in this case)

And who doesn't enjoy being offered a sample glass of beer when they walk in the door? Just plain civilized if you ask me :D

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Pretty good selection. Loaded up on some of Charlevoix's better beers last weekend when I was in the area.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I had the opportunity to visit BDT, Marche Omni and Broue Ha Ha this past weekend and had good experiences at all three.

BDT was great. I recommend going as soon as they open for lunch on the weekend. It's well staffed, you have the place to yourself and the food and beer are top notch.

Marche Omni, despite being a convenience store with small aisles and bright lights still gets points from me because it's A) closer to the bridges and BDT B) had what I was looking for.

Broue Ha Ha on the other hand is new, clean and well organized. It's refreshing just walking into the place. But it's a bit off the beaten path. The owner was nice and clearly interested in what I was looking for - unfortunately he didn't have any of it. He did make some suggestions though. I think once his inventory strengthens up he should do well.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Broue Ha Ha finally got a shipment from Brasserie Illimites. And in it was a fabulous 6pack. 2 x Cascade IPA, 2 x Golding IPA and 2 x IPA. I picked up a couple. They also have a shipment of this years St. Ambroise Framboise.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

cfrancis wrote:Broue Ha Ha finally got a shipment from Brasserie Illimites. And in it was a fabulous 6pack. 2 x Cascade IPA, 2 x Golding IPA and 2 x IPA. I picked up a couple. They also have a shipment of this years St. Ambroise Framboise.
Good find. Check out the labels. The warnings used to be pretty amusing. Not sure if they are still putting the same jokes on there.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Broue Ha Ha finally got a shipment from Brasserie Illimites. And in it was a fabulous 6pack. 2 x Cascade IPA, 2 x Golding IPA and 2 x IPA. I picked up a couple. They also have a shipment of this years St. Ambroise Framboise
Was at Marche Omni on Tuesday and they had plenty of both in stock as well. That Cascade is really nice... a session IPA if there ever was one.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The Cascade is great. I think the only beer of theirs that has the warning labels is the Grand Merci.

Is LTM Oktoberfest 2010 starting to show up?

notdan

Post by notdan »

sprague11 wrote:The Cascade is great. I think the only beer of theirs that has the warning labels is the Grand Merci.

Is LTM Oktoberfest 2010 starting to show up?
Yeah I grabbed a 750 of the Trois Mousquetaires Oktoberfest a couple weeks ago. Think it was from Broue Ha Ha, but Omni had it too. Haven't tried it yet but it's definitely around.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Was in yesterday and Charlevoix Columbus IIPA is out and sold out at Broue Ha Ha although Omni still has some.

Broue Ha Ha had St. Ambroise Citrouille and Dieu du Ciel Decibel.

Omni also has a LOT of Dieu du Ciel Rigor Mortis if anyone is interested. And St. Ambroise Framboise

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Thought you all might like to know that SAQ has some new additions;

St. Bernardus 12 (750ml) $9.10
Rochefort 8 $3.90
Gouden Carolus Classic $3.35

Limited quantities of each.

....those of you who are too far away to visit Quebec should feel free to cry.