Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Gatineau - bottle purchases

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

notdan

Post by notdan »

Zuma wrote:Thought you all might like to know that SAQ has some new additions;

St. Bernardus 12 (750ml) $9.10
Rochefort 8 $3.90
Gouden Carolus Classic $3.35

Limited quantities of each.

....those of you who are too far away to visit Quebec should feel free to cry.
Goddamn. Need to make one last trip to Gatineau tomorrow before heading back to school. I would LOVE to keep these beers on hand.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

notdan wrote:
Zuma wrote:Thought you all might like to know that SAQ has some new additions;

St. Bernardus 12 (750ml) $9.10
Rochefort 8 $3.90
Gouden Carolus Classic $3.35

Limited quantities of each.

....those of you who are too far away to visit Quebec should feel free to cry.
Goddamn. Need to make one last trip to Gatineau tomorrow before heading back to school. I would LOVE to keep these beers on hand.
They have under 6 cases for the outaouais region. My friends hoarding combined with the fact I'll be hitting the SAQ tonight... dont expect much quantity.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Anyone know the best way to get to Brouehaha by transit? It looks like catching STO #65 from downtown Ottawa would drop me walking distance from there...

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Shit son.

When are you going to be here? If I can, I'll pick you up and drive you there.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Heading into town on the 3rd. Anyone up for heading to BDT for a drink or two?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Love to but I'm dragging the family to Beau's on the 2nd so I have to pay the pauper on the 3rd and have a "family day"

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

I found another place in Gatineau via distribieres.com with a good bottle selection: Cafe La Brulerie on St. Joseph, not too far from BdT (It used to be right around the corner from BdT on Montcalm, so be careful when looking up the address).

http://www.labrulerie.ca/en_prd_brasserie.asp

This place is a fancy coffee roastery (you'll get a good look at their roasting room as you walk in the door) and an upscale supermarket rather than a "pub" as might be inferred by the website. Not as big a selection as Broue Ha Ha, but I saw some Charlevoix items (Lupulus, Hibernus, some of the specialty hopped double IPAs) that I haven't seen on the shelves elsewhere in Gatineau lately. The owner is friendly and seemed happy to talk about Quebec beer and food.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I might check it out on Sunday

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Brews Phillips wrote:I found another place in Gatineau via distribieres.com with a good bottle selection: Cafe La Brulerie on St. Joseph, not too far from BdT (It used to be right around the corner from BdT on Montcalm, so be careful when looking up the address).

http://www.labrulerie.ca/en_prd_brasserie.asp

This place is a fancy coffee roastery (you'll get a good look at their roasting room as you walk in the door) and an upscale supermarket rather than a "pub" as might be inferred by the website. Not as big a selection as Broue Ha Ha, but I saw some Charlevoix items (Lupulus, Hibernus, some of the specialty hopped double IPAs) that I haven't seen on the shelves elsewhere in Gatineau lately. The owner is friendly and seemed happy to talk about Quebec beer and food.
Nice place, was able to pick up a couple from Simple Malt, Lac St-Jean and Charlevoix.

Since I had to leave town early it was handy that Brulerie opens at 7am (on weekdays) and sells beer at that time.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Just an FYI... was at Broue Ha Ha last week, and the owner told me he was expecting some Trois Mousquetaires gift packs towards the end of Nov. Said he thought the packs would contain two large format bottles including one of the Baltic Porter, and a glass.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'll be in Ottawa for business the 13th and 14th. Of course i'll be up for a couple pints, but is there a decent Greek or Sushi place I can grab lunch at in the city?

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

OK, I'm headed to the in-laws after Christmas 10min. outside of Gatineau. I'm going on a beer buying pilgrimmage.

Where are the must go shops?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think the go-to place now is Broue Ha Ha:

http://brouehaha.com/

La Trappe au Fromage is always a solid spot.

Make sure you stop in for a beer at Brasseurs du Temps.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Omni is good too, and slightly closer to the Ottawa side, but Broue Ha Ha is definitely the best stop these days.

modus_11

Post by modus_11 »

Just thought I would let everyone know that the SAQ once again has Rochefort 8 in stock. I grabbed six from the de la Carriere location today and they had a bunch more on the shelves. A few other stores in the area also appear to have renewed stock...