Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Portland & Seattle

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass did you drive between the two? What route did you take? (e.g. coast vs. inland?)

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

IPA Boy wrote:Got to say, I'm suprised you didn't do Pyramid in Seattle or Rogue in Portland.
I can't believe he didn't go to the Horse Brass in Portland!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

JerCraigs wrote:Cass did you drive between the two? What route did you take? (e.g. coast vs. inland?)
Partial coastal. Went from Portland to the coast and up to Astoria, then back over to the main interstate up to Seattle.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

viggo wrote:
IPA Boy wrote:Got to say, I'm suprised you didn't do Pyramid in Seattle or Rogue in Portland.
Not that I needed more beer consumption on that trip but...

- The main brewery for Rogue is Newport, which is not close to Portland. I didn't think one of the satellite locations would be worthwhile with everything else to go to, seeing as I've been to them before.

- Portland is a very spread out city for its population. It was not terribly easy to get around, so some places we just couldn't fit in.

Anyway, had a great time in both cities, worth checking out for sure.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Cass wrote:
viggo wrote:
Not that I needed more beer consumption on that trip but...

- The main brewery for Rogue is Newport, which is not close to Portland. I didn't think one of the satellite locations would be worthwhile with everything else to go to, seeing as I've been to them before.

- Portland is a very spread out city for its population. It was not terribly easy to get around, so some places we just couldn't fit in.

Anyway, had a great time in both cities, worth checking out for sure.
The Rogue house there is pretty mediocre. Once you've been to one you've been to them all

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Cass wrote: - Portland is a very spread out city for its population. It was not terribly easy to get around, so some places we just couldn't fit in.
You think so?

There are a few places spread out, but there's a heck of a lot in the downtown core (with free trolley service). We stayed around the corner from Henry's & had free transit all the way down to Riverplace (Full Sail Pub):
http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.ph ... 939453&z=3

I loved that town... though I was there over our thanksgiving weekend (rather than winter), so I didn't mind walking a bit.
http://www.portlandbeer.org/crawls/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Derek wrote:
Cass wrote: - Portland is a very spread out city for its population. It was not terribly easy to get around, so some places we just couldn't fit in.
You think so?

There are a few places spread out, but there's a heck of a lot in the downtown core (with free trolley service). We stayed around the corner from Henry's & had free transit all the way down to Riverplace (Full Sail Pub):
http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.ph ... 939453&z=3

I loved that town... though I was there over our thanksgiving weekend (rather than winter), so I didn't mind walking a bit.
http://www.portlandbeer.org/crawls/
In my mind (prior to visiting) I thought it was denser due to all I had heard about the city and its transit infrastructure. What skewed it for me was that we stayed at the Kennedy School which was way out of downtown.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

You'll have to go back!

We got a good deal on a Queen Suite using the "name your price" service at:
http://www.markspencer.com/rooms.html

(Now that I think of it, we went mid-week around thanksgiving).

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Cass did you drive between the two? What route did you take? (e.g. coast vs. inland?)
Partial coastal. Went from Portland to the coast and up to Astoria, then back over to the main interstate up to Seattle.
Would you recommend that? Am considering Portland > Pelican brewpub > Astoria > Seattle.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

If you have the time, I would really recommend driving south from the Pelican along the Oregon coast to a place like Yachats (This will take you through Northport, so you can still visit Rogue! I'm sure Lewis and Clark would have approved.). Lots of rugged beaches, whale watching from the shore etc.... South of that you hit sand dunes before ending up in Redwood National Forest in northern California. Plus, IIRC, beaches are public access everywhere in Oregon.

If you make it to Seattle, the Issaquah Brew House and the Snoqualamie Brewery and Taproom make a good day trip if you want to get out and see some mountain scenery.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

JerCraigs wrote:
Cass wrote:
Would you recommend that? Am considering Portland > Pelican brewpub > Astoria > Seattle.
In one day? That looks like a long ride.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote:
JerCraigs wrote: Would you recommend that? Am considering Portland > Pelican brewpub > Astoria > Seattle.
Its about 8 hours of driving according to google maps... I was thinking early start and late arrival but even that might be pushing it once stops are factored in won't it? Hmmm. May have to rethink that.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

JerCraigs wrote:
Cass wrote:
JerCraigs wrote: Would you recommend that? Am considering Portland > Pelican brewpub > Astoria > Seattle.
Its about 8 hours of driving according to google maps... I was thinking early start and late arrival but even that might be pushing it once stops are factored in won't it? Hmmm. May have to rethink that.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you really love being behind the wheel. It's slow driving out there getting from Portland to the coast and then up the coast itself.

If beer is your #1 focus then do a straight shot up from Portland to Seattle. If you want to see scenery by all means head out there - it's very pretty and there's quaint towns and such. Check out Cannon Beach, it's cool and I think there's even a brewpub there.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Well, I'm planning for June/July so I have lots of time to tweak the itinerary!

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

JerCraigs wrote:Well, I'm planning for June/July so I have lots of time to tweak the itinerary!
Oh man, at that time of year you might consider going to something like the Portland/Seattle Int'l Beer Fests or the Oregon Brewers' Fest. Now you got me planning my summer vacation!