Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dutchcanuck

Ottawa

Post by dutchcanuck »

I'm heading up to Ottawa in a couple of weeks and I wondered, does anyone know of a good beer bar or brewpub that I could grab dinner at? I'll also be heading over to Gatineau for my first ever Quebec beer run, so if you know an amazing place to eat there as well that would be great. Feel free to mention any must haves that I should pick up while I'm in the area.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

If you are looking for a brewpub, hit up the Clocktower. The beers are pretty average, and the food is about average too. But if you are in the area, it is worth a shot.

For a pretty good selection of beer, especially Belgians, try Pub Italia. Just don't order the food. Worst I had almost ever. Twice.

For the best of food, I'd say the Black Tomato in the market is the place to be. They also have micros on tap which is nice.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

I am going to sound like a broken record, but.....

Go to Bistro L'Autre Oeil in Aylmer after/before you buy your bottled stuff at Jovi. The food is limited, but the sausage plate is excellent and you have, by a large margin, the best beer selection in Ottawa.

Black Tomato's beer selection gets worse every time I go there. The best they have to offer these days is Corporal Punishment and a Heritage beer. The rest is standard St. Ambroise taps.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Vineyards in the market is good wine & beer bar that has served me and my friends well for the past 10 years. It's downstairs from the Fish market, very cozy atmosphere, good service and has a large selection of beers on hand.

Their $12 fries are wonderful. Includes an excellent steak and ceasar salad! :)

http://vineyards.ca

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Pub Italia has a good selection of international beers (an abysmal selection of Canadian beers). The Lieutenant's Pump on Elgin has a few good English ales.

The Manx doesn't have a good selection, but it's a nice pub nonetheless.

Head out to Beau's in Vankleek Hill if you have the time.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

New beer sighting in Ottawa, check out this Menu:
http://www.johnnyfarina.com/site/beer-cocktails.asp

Limited choice, but De Koninck and Delirium on tap??? Yes please! Their food is pretty good too.
Last edited by Bytowner on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Wow. Did not know Delirium was at this place. Thanks for the info. It is good to know The Manx is not the only place to find a good beer on Elgin.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I alsmot fell off my chair. We were trying to decide between John A. (also a good beer list, Fuller's ESB on tap) and Farina's. So I was trying to decide between good beer and good food, assuming Farina's just had overpriced Heineken. I was pretty thrilled and the two De Konincks I had will definitely speed up the rest of my Friday!

probstk

Post by probstk »

Bytowner wrote:I alsmot fell off my chair. We were trying to decide between John A. (also a good beer list, Fuller's ESB on tap) and Farina's. So I was trying to decide between good beer and good food, assuming Farina's just had overpriced Heineken. I was pretty thrilled and the two De Konincks I had will definitely speed up the rest of my Friday!
Hot damn!! That's great! The Atomic Rooster on Bank St. had Koningshoeven Quad on tap last time I was there...equally shocking!!

Also, Les Brasseurs du Temps is opening their new brewpub in Gatineau (old hull) this week or next. http://www.brasseursdutemps.com/index.htm

I've had some of the brewmaster's beer previously and it should be fantastic...

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Bistro L'Autre Oeil just put up a new web site. It is only in French for now, but you can still browse the bottled beers they carry and their tap list.

http://www.lautreoeil.com/index.cfm

probstk

Post by probstk »

Zuma wrote:Bistro L'Autre Oeil just put up a new web site. It is only in French for now, but you can still browse the bottled beers they carry and their tap list.

http://www.lautreoeil.com/index.cfm
Thanks man! I love that place and now can entice others to join me...what a SICK selection. Makes Pub Italia look pretty poor, I think.

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

I just got back and as far as places to buy beer I would have to say that Trappe A Fromage de L'Outaouais beats the pants off of Marche Jovi for both selection and price. One of the employees at Trappe was really helpful and (hopefully) gave me some really good recommendations. Also, I can vouch for the Black Tomato. They had Beau's Beaver River and Mill St Coffee Porter as featured draughts and they also pour Corporal Punishment full time.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

ALso, on my most recent visit, I found a little place called Chez Lucien near the market. Lots of good taps, and excellent burgers...better than the workz!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Chez Lucien was definitely a good find. They have the best burgers (and fries) in Ottawa. Plus you get to wash it down with a Blanche De Chambly.