Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nova Scotia Beyond Halifax

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Spab

Nova Scotia Beyond Halifax

Post by Spab »

I'm in NS for 2+ weeks and will be traveling all around. Naturally hoping to get in some decent beers along the way. I've read plenty about Halifax (including the threads here), but I was curious if anyone knew about decent spots beyond there. Last year I got to The Port in Port Williams (near Wolfville) which was quite nice but that was it. Is there anything else that anyone knows of that's worth trying? Thanks.

Rob.Russell

Post by Rob.Russell »

It's not beer, but it's a stellar example of how craftsmen can make something truly exceptional: http://www.stutzcider.com/

If you're going up near Wolfville again, I'd recommend heading over to Grand Pré to check out the wine country. All the beer is really in Halifax, or maybe Sydney, but the best patios are in the little coastal communities like Lunenberg, Wolfville or Yarmouth.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

If you are interested in whisky, the Glenora Distillery is worth checking out in Cape Breton.

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

The Red Shoe Pub, owned by the Rankin Family in Mabou, can give you some local flavour, I'm not sure of what kind of beer they have there though.

http://www.redshoepub.com/
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

If you're only after beer, stay away from Cape Breton entirely. Though the previously mentioned Red Shoe should have a Garrison or Propeller tap. I think Garrison was providing them something to sell as a house beer. The Distillery is nice though if you're heading to the island.

The brewpubs outside of Halifax aside from The Port/Sea Level are Rudder's in Yarmouth and Paddy's Pub in Wolfville and Kentville. Chedabucto Bay at the Rare Bird Pub in Guysborough is apparently not brewing this summer. A nice pub though. Some nice pubs that should have Propeller or Garrison for you include the Knot in Lunenburg, The River Pub in Bridgewater, the Mug and Anchor in Mahone Bay, and the Spitfire Arms in Windsor (including a handpump for the Granite Brewery).

Assuming you're in Halifax at all, there's a new gastropub called the Hart and Thistle on the waterfront where John Shippey's Brewpub used to be - and now featuring the beers of Shippey's brewmaster Greg Nash (mastermind behind Garrison Imperial Pale Ale and most recently with Pump House in Moncton). Their initial beers are 37 Hour Simcoe SMaSH IPA and Black Nitro - a Black Pale Ale checking in at 75 IBUs.

And if you weren't aware, Saturday is the Seaport Beerfest adjacent to Garrison Brewery. http://www.seaportbeerfest.com/
Last edited by Bobbyok on Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Coincidentally, I've just found out I'll be in Sydney for a day or two. Rather than start a new thread, can anyone comment on Sydney specifically? Anywhere that might have Propeller or Garrison on tap? Thanks.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I don't know places there really, but if you happen to see Pump house S.O.B there, be sure to get some.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Spab

Post by Spab »

Thanks for the thoughts. I got up to the Valley yesterday for lunch at the Port (and got to try a few of their beers I hadn’t tried my other time there). Also did get to the Domaine de Grand Pré winery. I noticed Paddy’s Pub on the drive through Wolfville so I’m going to try to get there in the next few days. Heading into Halifax today (sadly familial commitments make the Seaport Beer Festival unrealistic) and I’m planning to try to get to the Hart and Thistle.

I have found that there are Garrison and Propeller products on at a lot of pubs though almost always the same couple (the Irish Red and Tall Ship Amber from the former and the Bitter and Honey Wheat from the latter).

I’ve actually had pretty good luck with the nearby NSLC. Unlike the last time I was here they had Garrison’s Imperial Pale Ale this year. I also picked up some of the Garrison Hop Yard Pale Ale as well as the Pump House S.O.B. Both were quite good. Add to that the bottles of Sea Level I picked up yesterday after lunch at the Port and things have been pretty good beer-wise so far. Hopefully I'll be able to hit a few of the spots Bobbyok mentioned since I do anticipate still getting to Mahone Bay and Lunenburg.