Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Syracuse

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I know the drill. :)

I wasn't buying Centennial, just happened to see it on the shelf.
iguenard wrote:What are you doing driving 2 hours to buy Centennial when you can get it fresh here?

When in Wasserstad, buy fresh stuff (Enjoy By, etc) and big stuff (Speedway, etc), and leave the bad expired stuff to Watertoonians.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Was in Syracuse on a sunday night in december. Stayed at the Marriot in the Armoury district, nice little area. Hotel was walking distance to Blue tusk,empire brewing,Al's etc. Very quiet and almost dead on a sunday night/monday morning.

We had some dinner at Small Plates and they had decent tap selection, Stone, Ommegang, Bells. Decent food and decent prices. Crushed a few pints of Bells two hearted ale extremely quickly.
We went across the road to the blue tusk for a beer, but it was very quiet, so moved on after one. Walked around the area a little while, but nothing was happening, then stumble upon Al's. Loved this place, little dive bar with good tap selection and un-beleivable whisky selection. Plus, a live band and the fact that its basically the only place with people in it on a sunday night. Really eclectic crowd. Had about 8 pints between the two of us there, got to try some really fresh Founders, Ommegang,Smuttynose, Big Eye,Great Lakes, a really good local bourbon.....then things got fuzzy. Highly recomend this place.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

In the area this weekend. Dinner at Empire Brewing was solid, and both beer I tried were pretty good.

Stopped in at Byrne Dairy by Destiny, not a bad selection, although like many in the area some issues with old beer on shelves. Scored an Enjoy By.

Also was into Party Source. Maybe a bit better selection than Byrne, but similar freshness issues.

Was into Ithaca for dinner and hit up Finger Lakes Beverage Centre, really good selection for the area. Wanted to go to the Ithaca AleHouse, but it was a huge wait, so we ended up at Kilpatrick's. Tap list was just ok, but had an always nice Ithaca Cascazilla.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Lot's of good info in this thread, thx to all contributors. I'll be in Syracuse for the weekend doing the ironman 70.3 and will be treating myself to a couple craft brews post race! Anyone know whether Clark's Ale House is re-opened? Sounds like some of the key places are closed on Sunday, hoping to find at least a few options that are open.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Anybody been lately? Heading down for a quick one-nighter tomorrow. Looks like Clark's is open. Anything new to report on the bar/bottle shop front?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

went a few months ago, nothing new in the bottle shop department. Although Party Source has started getting in some stuff like Tilquin, Cigar City, Westbrook, etc

worth a look

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Another solid night in Syracuse. Stopped into the usuals, J'Ryan's and Blue Tusk, had good beer and food at both.

Also was into the new Clark's. Was never into the old, so nothing to compare to. Space is pretty uninteresting, bar area has a few tall tables and tons of just empty space. Peanut shells everywhere. Beer list was pretty solid with 30 or so pretty intersting options, nothing crazy rare or whatever, but lots of good beer. Didn't eat. My only issue was the place was absolutely INFESTED with fruit flies. I felt like Pigpen in there with a cloud around me the whole time. I wanted to stay for more than one beer, but I simply couldn't. I have never seen anything like it. I also hate their glasswhere, little dimpled mugs, but that's besides the point. I'd much rather spend time at JR or BT.

Was also into the World of Beer at Destiny. Pretty neat spot in the insanity that is that section of the mall. Beer list was very good, craploads of bottles. Food was good. If I go back with the family I'll stick the kids on the go-karts and have a pint or two at WoB.

Typical bottle shopping in Syracuse, Brilbecks, Party Source and Byrne near Destiny. Nothing too exciting and definitely buyer beware for bottle freshness at all of them. Stopped into Bear World on the way back for the first time. Crazy selection, no doubt (grapefruit sculpin for growler fills!). I wouldn't buy anything I'm not convinced is in good shape in there, but there are lots of great options to pick from even knowing that.

All in all, Syracuse always makes a pretty solid night out. No big whales to be had, but lots of tasty taps for reasonable prices.

Oh, and do we have a US Border complaints thread, man my trip back was an event. Fckin arse at the inside counter was wielding his Ignorant + Power hammer. I knew his job better than he did, and he wasn't liking it one bit.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I preferred bottle caps beverage cenntre to bear world on my last to trips...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

both have some decent finds.. and they're both close in proximity. I always go to both when passing through watertown

Bottlecaps will let you split up any 4/6 pack they have, which is a bonus. Bearworld you can only buy singles from what is part of their 'mix 6 section'
Masterplan wrote:I preferred bottle caps beverage cenntre to bear world on my last to trips...

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I did a quick day trip into Watertown a few weekends ago, and yeah, they each have their own quirks and charms. Bottle Caps had Lunch on growler fills, which was pretty sweet.

I also went for lunch at the brewpub in the mall, what an odd spot to have a brewpub, but the beer was pretty solid and the food was great. With a $1.30 dollar, that mall will soon be an even bigger ghosttown than it is now, but if in town the brewpub is definitely worth a stop.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Was in Watertown today. Bear World wasn't much to see. Same as usual. Bottle Caps had a really nice selection of some of the NYC beers.. Carton, Grimm, Finback, and Night Shift from MA. KBS Growler Fills.

Was into Maggie's for the first time, really good spot!! Lunch and KBS on tap, can't go wrong.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Quick trip to Buffalo and Syracuse this weekend.

Auburn: Stopped into Prison City on Saturday afternoon. Place was packed, and I have never seen more kids in a bar in my life. Was like a daycare. I bring my kids all over, so I'm not normally one to notice or complain, but this was crazy. Ah well. For the beer, they only had 5 of their own available, the pale ale and session IPA were really nice, right in the hazy/juicy stream. After that was pretty meh brown and amber. Neat bar though, if they had more on tap.

Syracuse:
Blue Tusk: really wasn't feeling it. Beer list was very uninspired, and I never noticed how they serve the small servings in those huge mugs. Only stayed for one.
J Ryan's: was in twice during the night, by far the better beer list compared to BT. Great service, good vibe. Had fun.
Clarks: closed again.
Now & Later: the former Brillbecks corner store has been converted into a crazy cool neighborhood bar and bottle shop! A dozen taps including Interboro, Finback, Suarez! Solid bottle selection as well. Was my fave spot, just too bad it's so far out.
Party Source: under new management as of that day, they had a big party going on inside. Beer was pretty uninspired, nothing really stuck out.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

This thread is a little dated. Anyone got any recent info on Syracuse?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Masterplan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:17 pm This thread is a little dated. Anyone got any recent info on Syracuse?
Funny you should have posted this up! I actually recently checked the thread again to see how old it was. I’m in the midst of planing a “A Quick Beer” filming visit to Syracuse, as the local tourism board was interested in helping out.

I’ve started to do some research and it looks like there’s a lot of new breweries from the older days. Middle Ages is still going, and evidently they are opening up some kind of expansion this spring. Talking Cursive was a place I had on my list as it was women & veteran owned and thought there was a good story there. I think I pinned about a half dozen places in the downtown area when I was doing some googling.

The old school beer bars Blue Tusk and Clark’s have been gone for a while.

Will probably be heading down in April so will report any updates leading up to the trip, and after I visit of course!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

My trip is booked for next weekend. The Syracuse tourism board is generously helping out with accommodation so I can produce an episode of A Quick Beer there!

There’s a lot on the list to do, so will report back findings and share the episode when it’s ready!