Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Canton or Malone, NY

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Canton or Malone, NY

Post by JesseMcG »

Ok so here's a TOTAL shot in the dark. I don't travel to the states much, but I do go on a golf trip every September to Malone, NY. We cross at Prescott, play a round in Canton, and end up in Malone for a couple of days.

The BEST beer the grocery store in Malone has to offer is a Sam Adams mix pack. Otherwise you can get a 43262752 pack of Miller High Life for about 20 cents.

Does anyone know ANYWHERE within a short drive, that may have at least a small selection of american micros?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

One thought would be to get in touch with a brewery like Ommegang and ask where you could get it in the area. That might point you to a good store or at least get some Ommegang!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Derek wrote:I'd take a day trip to vermont:

http://beermapping.com/maps/maps.php?m= ... 609375&z=9
Oh that's just EVIL. If I could, I would.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Strange you should ask, as I was just down to Canton and Potsdam on Monday.

In Canton you can go to Bessettes Bottles n Beverage on 39 Gouverneur Street. They had a few Victory, Dogfish 90 minute IPA, Sierra Nevada, and a number of Stone products including Ruination and the 13th Anniversary beer that just came out. Limited selection and nothing groundbreaking, but enough.

Just make sure you check the dates on the neck of the bottles before you buy. A few years ago I picked up a sixer of Prima Pils on my way camping and it was a couple YEARS past the best before. Not good for a pilsner. I looked at the necks of the Dogfish 90 and they were nice and fresh.

Hope this helps.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Zuma wrote:Strange you should ask, as I was just down to Canton and Potsdam on Monday.

In Canton you can go to Bessettes Bottles n Beverage on 39 Gouverneur Street. They had a few Victory, Dogfish 90 minute IPA, Sierra Nevada, and a number of Stone products including Ruination and the 13th Anniversary beer that just came out. Limited selection and nothing groundbreaking, but enough.

Just make sure you check the dates on the neck of the bottles before you buy. A few years ago I picked up a sixer of Prima Pils on my way camping and it was a couple YEARS past the best before. Not good for a pilsner. I looked at the necks of the Dogfish 90 and they were nice and fresh.

Hope this helps.
Amazing. Thanks Zuma!

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

If you go to Potsdam, there is also CJs at Seacom Plaza

117 Leroy St
Potsdam, NY 13676-1615, United States
(315) 265-0226

There's also Maxfields, a pub,, which has a decent tap selection (for the area)
15 Market St
Potsdam, NY 13676-2808, United States
(315) 265-3796

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Zuma wrote:Strange you should ask, as I was just down to Canton and Potsdam on Monday.

Hope this helps.
So I took your advice and went to this place to see what I could find... strangely enough they didn't have anything you saw when you visited. But they had some Ommegang Abbey Ale, Ommegang Three Philosophers, Ommegang Rare Vos, Racer 5 IPA, Lagunitas IPA, Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, and Stone IPA.

I GLADLY stocked up on all of this. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'll be hitting this place up for what I'm sure will be a surprise mix of beers every September now.

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

It's been mentioned before in other threads on Bessettes but it's worth remembering that the selection can vary widely depending on when you go. I think the story is they get most of their beer delivered near the beginning of the month. If you show up later in the month, then the selection will not be as good.

If you have flexibility about when you go, then calling ahead is probably a good idea.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

No problem.

It's too bad the Stone Anniversary 13 was gone when you went. Excellent beer. I wish I had picked up more than one.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

hops are your friend wrote:It's been mentioned before in other threads on Bessettes but it's worth remembering that the selection can vary widely depending on when you go. I think the story is they get most of their beer delivered near the beginning of the month. If you show up later in the month, then the selection will not be as good.

If you have flexibility about when you go, then calling ahead is probably a good idea.
I go the weekend after Labour Day weekend every year. So not flexible at all.

But I have no problem being surprised by the selection, it's almost preferable so I can get new things. The fact that they have ANY micros whatsoever makes it worth my while. The store is literally 3 minutes from the golf course we play... so it's perfect.