Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

K-W

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Beermat

K-W

Post by Beermat »

I ran into a couple of K-W Bartowellers at the Victory recently but neglected to ask them for pub recommendations in that fine double town (I'm from Brighton & Hove, so I know from twin towns). I have occasion to get to K-W briefly very soon and wondered if there was anywhere to drink while there. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nick

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Hi Nick. That might have been me, I saw you at Victory a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately with The Castle now closed, we are severely lacking. The best in the area is the Golden Kiwi in Cambridge by far. In KW itself, we have some pubs with a few decent taps (The Kickoff is the best I have come across), plus the brewpub Huether Hotel (which I enjoy for atmosphere downstairs - great old place, with inoffensive beer). I have only been here a year, so some other locals might have better recommendations.

Drop me a line if you are ever in town and want to grab a beer - I seem to run in to you enough in Toronto, might as well do it out here as well :)

Jeff

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Where exactly are you going to be? If it's near the university area I would definitely say go to the Kick Off (which I can give directions to if need be). It's just a small little soccer-bar in University plaza with an almost exclusively micro tap line-up, as well as some good Euro imports. It's really my go-to place because I spend most of my time in the area and have a good report with the bartenders.

If you're near Cambridge at all, Golden Kiwi will not let you down. Other than that, unfortunately KW is kind your typical Southern Ontario beer wasteland :-? .

notdan

Post by notdan »

I also can only suggest Kickoff. It's convenient for us students. There aren't a ton of taps but there's something different every time I go in (usually once a week). They also have a nice selection of Unibroue bottles, you can try Don de Dieu or Chambly Noire if you haven't yet.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Don't forget the Gold Crown Brewery, downtown Waterloo on King St.

Also, a short drive west, just off Hwy 7/8: Country pubs
In Petersburg: The Blue Moon--lots of Ontario micros and great food
In Baden: The Baden Hotel--more Ontario micros and great food

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

The Kick Off has at least 14 taps.

Don't go to the Huether or Gold Crown, unless you enjoy shitty service and mediocre-at-best beer.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:The Kick Off has at least 14 taps.

Don't go to the Huether or Gold Crown, unless you enjoy shitty service and mediocre-at-best beer.

Agreed service there is poor, and last time I went, the lettuce on my Chicken Sandwich smelled like rotten eggs, but if you are in the area, you might want to see if they are making their pumpkin beer again. It is really good.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I agree with Kick Off. I used to go there often enough when I was in school.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Agreed on the beer, but not on the service. I know you had a bad experience there Jesse, but I go once/week with the family for brunch a pint and I have had some of the quickest service in town. I still think for an out of town visitor, it is worth a stop, especially the downstairs which has a very neat atmosphere to it. To each their own though.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Oh, and for ratebeer tickers, they make a lime beer now... :)

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Thanks, one and all. I have a bit of time tomorrow afternoon, so will seek out recommendations. I'm accustomed to places with not much beer, even though I've just walked in from the Victory -- it's easy to forget how spoiled we've become in Toronto. I was talking with Ralph last night about his forthcoming adventures. The word "ah-oogah!" springs to mind. Jeff, if you're free tomorrow afternoon, let me know. I'm not sure what time I'll be there. I imagine you're occupied, it being a day of the week and all.

Nick

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

tupalev wrote:
Agreed on the beer, but not on the service. I know you had a bad experience there Jesse, but I go once/week with the family for brunch a pint and I have had some of the quickest service in town. I still think for an out of town visitor, it is worth a stop, especially the downstairs which has a very neat atmosphere to it. To each their own though.
I didn't mean any offense to you Jeff because I know you're there a lot, but in my defense the service has been lousy every time I've been there (I just used to make a lot of excuses for them). Apathetic and slow, obligatory tips never deserved and I've heard stories of customer complaint cards being literally thrown back in people's faces. The message to students is pretty clear "We don't want you here, you aren't welcome", in a neighbourhood dominated by students :roll: .

Sorry for the rant. Again, no offense Jeff, and if you enjoy your stays there more power to you. I personally can't tolerate the place anymore.

I was at the Kick Off tonight and had a very pleasant time. They've got Unibroue Don de Dieu and Chambly Noire in bottles now.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Thanks, one and all. I have a bit of time tomorrow afternoon, so will seek out recommendations. I'm accustomed to places with not much beer, even though I've just walked in from the Victory -- it's easy to forget how spoiled we've become in Toronto. I was talking with Ralph last night about his forthcoming adventures. The word "ah-oogah!" springs to mind. Jeff, if you're free tomorrow afternoon, let me know. I'm not sure what time I'll be there. I imagine you're occupied, it being a day of the week and all.
Nick, I am working from home tomorrow and have a very flexible schedule - I sent you a private message with me cell #, give me a call or post here and I'll meet you wherever in town.
I didn't mean any offense to you Jeff ...
Jesse, no offense taken, just giving another perspective.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

The Huether has been know for lousy service for a long time...but in my experience the service has been consistantly horrible on the patio but pretty decent inside...they do have good food (best wings in town imho), decent beer, and a nice ambiance.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Hey KW folks - I am having some people from out of town tomorrow up for a visit - if they were interested in samplers at the Huether, is it best to drink upstairs or downstairs? I like the downstairs a lot more, but I've never really seen anyone but staff a the bar before. Upstairs is fine but sort of sports bar'ish. Just curious, thanks for any tips.