Just got back from 3 nights in Vegas. Bottle wise the strip is pretty much the pharmacies and some of the small liquor shops. Nothing crazy special, but it's very cool to grab a New Belgium Ranger or a bottle of grapefruit sculpin and walk around! There is a giant new CVS opening soon next to Treasure Island that seems to have a huge beer cooler in the back. Stay tuned.
In terms of places, here are some of my highlights for Bars/pubs:...
- Aces & Ales: great spot. Tons of cool taps, server was an awesome guy, food was great (Fried Oreos!!). The inside, especially the bar side was bizarre, nearly pitch dark. Even the more open side was not that appealing, so we sat outside by ourselves for a late lunch on their great patio. It's a huge hike to get out there, but worth it given how few really great beer spots there are in LV.
- Todd Urban P.U.B: in the Crystal shops at the entrance to Aria. Solid beer selection for the strip, service was ok and disastrous in my two stops. Big problem with this place is that they have like a dozen standard taps, and then a dozen or so rotations by breweries, but the beer menu doesn't list the rotations by beer name, just by brewery. So, if you wan to know what the "Firestone" feature is, you ask. Server one night was on top of things and could nail them all. Second night dude had no idea what was on at all. Anyway, they had three cask options when I was there. Food was ok.
- Public House: basement of Venetia in the restaurant row. Upscale restaurant spot, but the bar area is fun. Solid tap list, although I had that stupid iPad app thing they had. Food was ok, very pricey. Pretty fun place, I would have liked to try and go back.
- Tom's Urban: in New York New York. Solid tap list and fun spot.
- Sin City: bunch of locations on the strip. Beer was just ok, made by Gordan Biersh folks. Usually small tasting rooms with 5 or so taps. Make sure to ask as they had some extra taps that weren't listed.
Most of the casino bars had at least a few interesting taps. One of them inside Aria had a Stillwater beer made just for them.
- Bier Garten: neat little oasis at one end of the Freemont circus. Maybe a dozen or so taps. Grab a sculpin in a plastic cup and check out the fat guy wearing a pink thong and a tutu!
- Banger Brewing: another spot to sit and and watch the freakshow outside. Beers were just ok. Had a wheat beer run through a habanero randal and my asshole was not happy with me the next day.
Atomic bar was also recommended to me on Freemont by the server at Aces and Ales, but when we got there my stupid wife forgot to bring her ID and they wouldn't let her in. Grr. I can walk around with a bottle of Lukcy Bastard in my hand, but my wife can't go into a bar!?!? A bit of a treck from the Freemont mess, which is both good and bad I guess!
Last edited by rejtable
on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.