Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

125 Places to Drink Before You Die

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Fuck, only 2.
ive only been to the Wooly in Guelph

notdan

Post by notdan »

Only Beerbistro :(

Hopefully after this summer I can check off a few of the stops in Belgium. Probably the Guinness brewery and a few others around Europe as well.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I've done three on that list.

The Blue Tusk and Clarks Ale House, both in Syracuse. I prefer Clarks, as I've already mentioned. That place is a must visit and not just for beer. They do a fantastic roast beef sandwich.

Speaking of Syracuse, Empire Brewing Company isn't on the list but is worth visiting if you're ever down that way.

beerbistro in Toronto would be my third.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Only 5 for me, but Volo and Dieu du Ciel should both be on that list so I'll claim 7:

17. Mondial de la Bière, Montreal, Quebec

47. The Map Room, Chicago, IL

84. Goose Island Brewing, Chicago, IL

106. Brick Store Pub, Decatur, GA

113. beerbistro, Toronto, Canada

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobbyok wrote:Only 5 for me, but Volo and Dieu du Ciel should both be on that list so I'll claim 7:

Yeah, it is a pretty subjective list.
If the Wolly is on that list, then so should the Judge, Volo, Du Ciel.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

notdan wrote:Only Beerbistro :(

Hopefully after this summer I can check off a few of the stops in Belgium. Probably the Guinness brewery and a few others around Europe as well.
Same here, looking like we will be in Netherlands and Belgium early June for 12 days.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

I thought I'd better post before that Beaumont guy comes on and says he's been to all of them twice. Mostly because I'm very old, I've been to 37 of these places. The Library Ale House in Santa Monica looks familiar, but I can't be sure so I left it out. I went to the Guinness brewery so long ago that I think Arthur himself conducted the tour, but they sure didn't have the Gravity Bar then, so that doesn't count. It's an interesting and frequently eccentric list, to be sure. We would all make very different lists, though some of their choices should be pretty much unanimous -- Cantillon, t'Brugs Beertje, Spuyten Duyvil, Map Room, White Horse, etc. One I haven't checked off is the place at the top of the CN Tower. Am I missing anything?

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Beermat wrote:One I haven't checked off is the place at the top of the CN Tower. Am I missing anything?
The view

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

I've only done 11

18. Horizon’s Café, CN Tower, Toronto, Ontario
33. The Wynkoop Brewery, Denver, CO
35. Great Lakes Brewing, Cleveland, OH
42. SandLot Brewery, Coors Field, Denver, CO
45. Selin’s Grove Brewing, Selinsgrove, PA
48. The Blue Tusk, Syracuse, NY
65. F.X. Matt Brewery Tasting Room, Utica, NY
84. Goose Island Brewing, Chicago, IL
97. Clark’s Ale House, Syracuse, NY
105. The Church Brew Works, Pittsburgh, PA
118. Top of the Hill Brewery & Restaurant, Chapel Hill, NC

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Ouch, only 7, and most don't count:

8. The Gravity Bar, Guinness St. James Gate Brewery, Dublin, Ireland
18. Horizon’s Café, CN Tower, Toronto, Ontario
26. French Quarter during Mardi Gras, New Orleans, LA
63. Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island, MI
116. Anchor Bar, Buffalo, NY
119. The Bell, Aldworth, Berkshire, England

8. I've been to many times. And I always want to go back.
26. Okay, it wasn't Mardi Gras, it was St Paddy's but I still saw a lot of boobs. Sadly, I was too young to drink.
63. Again, too young to drink.
116. Too young and also a vegetarian. Pretty much a no go in both directions.
119. I got excited till I read that it wasn't the Bell in Bath, which is one of my favourite all time bars. All locals, hand-pump ales, and I met Portishead's drummer. A great night. Just not at the Bell in question.....

I guess I only got three. Oh well. And indeed where is Volo, both Granites, Oliver St John Gogarty's (Dublin), and The Crown Liquor Saloon (Belfast)? Those would have seriously upped my count.....

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Greetings from #12, Brickskeller. Having a Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. Rodenbach on tap next?? :-)

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Some strange ones on the list. For example I've been to Antwerp three times but have never heard of the only bar from the city on the list, De Hopduvel. Yet Antwerp has the Kulminator, possibly the most famous beer bar in the world, and it is not listed. Jerusalem in London and Cafe Belgique in Amsterdam aren't there either. :roll:

I've been to the following:

2. Grand Place, Brussels, Belgium
3. U Fleku, Prague, Czech Republic
56. In de Wildeman, Amsterdam, Holland
96. Heineken Brewery, Amsterdam, Holland (I'm assuming this is the old brewery that is now a museum)