Thunder Bay

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Sanchex

Thunder Bay

Postby Sanchex » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm going to be in Thunder Bay soon for an entire week.... please, someone tell me it isn't a beer wasteland.
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Postby SteelbackGuy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm

There used to be a couple places there. A brewery that closed last year, which was Great White North Craft Brewery. I still have a bottle of their pale ale.

The second place closed a couple years ago I think, which was some sort of brewpub.

Your best bet might be finding an LCBO "A" store and staying home.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
Sanchex

Postby Sanchex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 pm

I was looking through the Thunder Bay tourism site and under Microbreweries, they listed UB Brewing and Thunder Bay Winery & Brew Shoppe? Anyone heard of these?
GregClow
Beer Superstar

Postby GregClow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 pm

Sanchex wrote:I was looking through the Thunder Bay tourism site and under Microbreweries, they listed UB Brewing and Thunder Bay Winery & Brew Shoppe? Anyone heard of these?

Probably u-brews, I would guess.
markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Postby markaberrant » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:10 am

talk to demcorhip on BeerAdvocate.
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Postby SteelbackGuy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 am

You could also pop on over to Wisconsin.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!
Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Jon Walker » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:38 pm

SteelbackGuy wrote:You could also pop on over to Wisconsin.

If you do pick your destination carefully. I drove through Wisconsin on my last roadtrip and the selection was iffy in most places...unless you want a bunch of Old Milwaukee.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.
Sanchex

Postby Sanchex » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 pm

markaberrant wrote:talk to demcorhip on BeerAdvocate.

Thanks. I sent him a message and he was really helpful. Will definitely try to fit in a trip to Minnesota... maybe even make it as far as Superior, Wisconsin.
sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Postby sprague11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Not sure if you completed the trip or not, but the very few craft beer drinkers usually hit Minnesota and load up. The Lakehead is prettymuch a wasteland for beer.
Sanchex

Postby Sanchex » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:17 pm

yep. i took a drive up to grand marais, had dinner at the gunflint tavern, tried some summit red and surly coffee bender. afterwards i popped into the city liquor store and stocked up on surly bender, furious, and new belgium ranger just to name a few. the trip made tbay a little more bearable.
SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Postby SteelbackGuy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Sanchex wrote:yep. i took a drive up to grand marais, had dinner at the gunflint tavern, tried some summit red and surly coffee bender. afterwards i popped into the city liquor store and stocked up on surly bender, furious, and new belgium ranger just to name a few. the trip made tbay a little more bearable.

The fly fishing there is also excellent by the way.

Return to “Local Beer Guides”