Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thunder Bay

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Sanchex

Thunder Bay

Post by Sanchex »

I'm going to be in Thunder Bay soon for an entire week.... please, someone tell me it isn't a beer wasteland.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

There used to be a couple places there. A brewery that closed last year, which was Great White North Craft Brewery. I still have a bottle of their pale ale.

The second place closed a couple years ago I think, which was some sort of brewpub.

Your best bet might be finding an LCBO "A" store and staying home.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

I was looking through the Thunder Bay tourism site and under Microbreweries, they listed UB Brewing and Thunder Bay Winery & Brew Shoppe? Anyone heard of these?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Sanchex wrote:I was looking through the Thunder Bay tourism site and under Microbreweries, they listed UB Brewing and Thunder Bay Winery & Brew Shoppe? Anyone heard of these?
Probably u-brews, I would guess.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

talk to demcorhip on BeerAdvocate.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

You could also pop on over to Wisconsin.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

SteelbackGuy wrote:You could also pop on over to Wisconsin.
If you do pick your destination carefully. I drove through Wisconsin on my last roadtrip and the selection was iffy in most places...unless you want a bunch of Old Milwaukee.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

markaberrant wrote:talk to demcorhip on BeerAdvocate.
Thanks. I sent him a message and he was really helpful. Will definitely try to fit in a trip to Minnesota... maybe even make it as far as Superior, Wisconsin.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Not sure if you completed the trip or not, but the very few craft beer drinkers usually hit Minnesota and load up. The Lakehead is prettymuch a wasteland for beer.

Sanchex

Post by Sanchex »

yep. i took a drive up to grand marais, had dinner at the gunflint tavern, tried some summit red and surly coffee bender. afterwards i popped into the city liquor store and stocked up on surly bender, furious, and new belgium ranger just to name a few. the trip made tbay a little more bearable.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Sanchex wrote:yep. i took a drive up to grand marais, had dinner at the gunflint tavern, tried some summit red and surly coffee bender. afterwards i popped into the city liquor store and stocked up on surly bender, furious, and new belgium ranger just to name a few. the trip made tbay a little more bearable.

The fly fishing there is also excellent by the way.