Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Breweries offer Hands-on Tours

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

zane9

Breweries offer Hands-on Tours

Post by zane9 »

Hi all. My first post on The Bar Towel, and I hope it's in the right forum!

Read an interesting article in the Sunday NY Times today. Craft breweries in the USA are moving into offering a deeper experience for beer lovers. With tie-ins to hotels and inns, hands-on "make it and drink it" weekends are now available and are moving "beer tourism" well beyond the typical brewery tour.

Several craft breweries are highlighted including Dogfish Head in Delaware, and the Woodstock Inn Station & Brewery in New Hampshire.

Jim Koch of the Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) has a great insight into why there is such an uptick in interest:

"Just like baby boomers adopted wine, their kids are adopting beer, and the parallels are extraordinary and enormous,” Mr. Koch said. “People want a better experience with their beer.”

The article is here.

Anything like this going on in Canada?

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I seem to recall Granite did some kind of Brewer for a day thing? I don't recall the specifics (or I could be totally misremembering) but I think I read something about that in their newsletter at some point.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

JerCraigs wrote:I seem to recall Granite did some kind of Brewer for a day thing? I don't recall the specifics (or I could be totally misremembering) but I think I read something about that in their newsletter at some point.
Yes, the Granite does the Brewer for a Day. Here is some info: http://greatcanadianpubs.blogspot.com/2 ... anite.html

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'd say Canadian micros aren't quite the "destinations" that some of the more popular ones in the US are. That's certainly not a knock against them or their beers.

A couple come to mind that have an accommodation offering which makes them more of a beer destination - Spinnaker's in Victoria has a set of guest rooms and houses which makes a stay & drink there very enjoyable. Dieu du Ciel also has a guest apartment above the brewpub, but it isn't tied to a tour.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, the cottages at Spinnakers are absolutely fantastic (stunning view, among other things), though pricey. I would agree they make Spinnakers the #1 "destination brewpub" in Canada.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

I guess the craft brewers looking at overnight-stay beer tourism have a bigger challenge than the winemakers.

The wine guys can leverage their location at or near the vineyard, typically in an attractive countryside setting with nearby hotels and other attractions. Craft breweries can be located anywhere, and might not be thought of as a "destination".

Thanks for your insights. I'm enjoying The Bar Towel. :)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Swan's has an Inn as well... but I've always stayed at Spinnakers. Great stuff.... fresh baked breakfast brought to your door in the morning.

It's right up there with Spezial in Bamberg... which has a take-out window. You just ring the door bell & they'll fill your 0.5L stein with a phenomenal lager for less than a Euro! You can get fresh Bretzel as well. I walked across the street & Fassla filled my stein as well, but they gave me a funny look when I handed them the Spezial stein. ;D