Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

London, Ontario and Area

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

If you're referring to brewery bottle shops, the best/most exciting brewery in the city is Storm Stayed, located just south of downtown on Wharncliffe. They have a small fridge of bottles and cans with a decently varied selection, but things usually sell fast so I would call ahead to check what's available. Craft Farmacy is up the street if you have time for dinner/lunch and a beer. Toboggan is not too far from Storm Stayed and they also have a bottle shop. I think they recently released their DIPA in cans. Forked River is arguably the second best brewery in the city. They're way out in the east end but are worth a visit. Lots of stuff available in bottles and cans. Anderson and London Brewing are right beside each other and are worth hitting if you have the time, but I personally think their beers are less exciting than Storm Stayed and Forked River.

For LCBOs the best stores are Wellington Road South (White Oaks), Fanshawe Park Road (Masonville), Boler Road (Byron), York Street (Downtown), Wonderland Road South (Westmount), and the new one at Oxford and Wonderland (Oakridge). Hope that helps.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Thank you Cratez!

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

A couple additions for brewpubs:

Dundas and Sons Brewing Company - 400 Adelaide Street North, London, ON, N6B 3H6 Website: http://www.dundasandsons.com

Powerhouse Brewing Company - 100 Kellogg's Lane, London, ON, N5W 0B4 Website: http://www.powerhousebrewery.beer

distr0

Post by distr0 »

ErkLR wrote:A couple additions for brewpubs:

Dundas and Sons Brewing Company - 400 Adelaide Street North, London, ON, N6B 3H6 Website: http://www.dundasandsons.com

Powerhouse Brewing Company - 100 Kellogg's Lane, London, ON, N5W 0B4 Website: http://www.powerhousebrewery.beer
Are either open yet? Both websites say 'coming soon'

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

distr0 wrote:
ErkLR wrote:A couple additions for brewpubs:

Are either open yet? Both websites say 'coming soon'
I can confirm that Dundas & Sons is open. Don't know about Powerhouse, though.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Powerhouse beer is certainly showing up occasionally, I haven't visited the actual brewery yet though.

themenace

Post by themenace »

Looks like Beerlab is finally opening. https://bensbeerblog.com/2019/05/31/lon ... y-to-open/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thought I'd bring this back up to mention a few notes about London. The Tourism board was generous enough to assist with a trip for A Quick Beer video, so I did a whirlwind tour last weekend.

More to come in the video, but some quick notes:

- Milos and Beerlab continue to anchor beer awesomeness downtown. Two great, complementary places where the owners all like each other so easy to float from one to another.

- In the east end Forked is still great, and they've expanded their taproom so have a lot more space to sit & enjoy. Kyle's Fried Chicken which was a pop-up at Beerlab now has a permanent space within Forked.

- Anderson is still solid as always, and London Brewing (no longer co-op) is a block away making it a good one-two punch.

- Powerhouse is located in a massive development in the old Kellogg's plant, and it is a really huge scale. The closest thing in Toronto I suppose was the Distillery redevelopment, but this is way bigger. There is a Hard Rock hotel under construction, a 2nd brewery, plus there's retail, commercial, a massive Dave & Buster's style games bar, kids play zones, and more. I never realized something this big was being developed in London.

- Storm Stayed is also still solid. A focus on IPA and lager a bit more nowadays. They have a side patio that came during COVID.

- Toboggan is a friendly spot in the Richmond nightlife zone, a bit of a respite from the other bars along that strip.

- Chaucer's was a trip as it's super old school and focuses on bottles and Euro taps. A rarity nowadays.

- Holy Diver is a cool "city style" bar down from Beerlab close to the train station. Lots of industry folks here, and they even have a side pull tap which you would not expect to see in a place like this - the influence of the industry patrons.

Overall London feels like a "mature" Ontario craft beer city - it was late to the game but now has a number of breweries that seem to be doing well. The folks that run the breweries and bars are all friendly and welcoming so a nice city to visit.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Cass wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:02 am Thought I'd bring this back up to mention a few notes about London. The Tourism board was generous enough to assist with a trip for A Quick Beer video, so I did a whirlwind tour last weekend.

More to come in the video, but some quick notes:

- Milos and Beerlab continue to anchor beer awesomeness downtown. Two great, complementary places where the owners all like each other so easy to float from one to another.

- In the east end Forked is still great, and they've expanded their taproom so have a lot more space to sit & enjoy. Kyle's Fried Chicken which was a pop-up at Beerlab now has a permanent space within Forked.

- Anderson is still solid as always, and London Brewing (no longer co-op) is a block away making it a good one-two punch.

- Powerhouse is located in a massive development in the old Kellogg's plant, and it is a really huge scale. The closest thing in Toronto I suppose was the Distillery redevelopment, but this is way bigger. There is a Hard Rock hotel under construction, a 2nd brewery, plus there's retail, commercial, a massive Dave & Buster's style games bar, kids play zones, and more. I never realized something this big was being developed in London.

- Storm Stayed is also still solid. A focus on IPA and lager a bit more nowadays. They have a side patio that came during COVID.

- Toboggan is a friendly spot in the Richmond nightlife zone, a bit of a respite from the other bars along that strip.

- Chaucer's was a trip as it's super old school and focuses on bottles and Euro taps. A rarity nowadays.

- Holy Diver is a cool "city style" bar down from Beerlab close to the train station. Lots of industry folks here, and they even have a side pull tap which you would not expect to see in a place like this - the influence of the industry patrons.

Overall London feels like a "mature" Ontario craft beer city - it was late to the game but now has a number of breweries that seem to be doing well. The folks that run the breweries and bars are all friendly and welcoming so a nice city to visit.
It was fun bar crawling with you guys. I'm glad you enjoyed London's humble yet worthy beer scene. Your assessment of where things are at is bang on. I appreciated the introduction to Holy Diver, as I wasn't aware it had changed from Nite Owl. It was also nice to hear more about the planned second brewery at 100 Kellogg Lane. Needless to say, things have come a long way from the days when Len and I would hype up bars that had some craft taps and LCBO seasonals (lol by today's standards), to the current landscape where there are multiple breweries and several good bars/restaurants. If you have more time on your next visit, Company Bar, Craft Farmacy, and BackRoads are all worth a stop. Cheers!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Definitely nice to hang @cratez!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm finally getting the Quick Beer video of London off the line, and it's going to be multi-parter as I spoke with so many folks there.

Here's a quick teaser with a fun story from Milos Kral of Pub Milos about his first experience with beer after arriving in Canada. Hopefully the first full episode will be out tomorrow or on the 1st.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Happy new year folks!

Posted up part one of my A Quick Beer in London. This will be a big one, as I did interviews with Milos (this episode) plus Anderson, Forked, Beerlab & Storm Stayed.

This one will be of particular interest to those who remember the old days of Ontario beer as Milos talks about how the scene changed over the years.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Next up, visits to Beerlab and Storm Stayed and chats with Nick, Adil & Justin. Check it out!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

And another, this one visiting Forked River with a barrel tasting from Dave.

Final episode in London hopefully coming on the weekend with the final spots in town.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Final episode from London with visits to Anderson, Powerhouse, Toboggan, London Brew, Holy Diver, Bungalow and Chaucer's. A fun visit for sure.