Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Ogdensburg NY

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Any suggestions on reasonably nice/romantic accomodations in this general area? Wife and I are looking for ideas for a quick one-night escape in a few weeks. Don't really want to go as far as either Syracuse or Lake Placid. Looking for something with a couple hours of Ottawa, at most.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

It's a place to eat, not a place tp stay, but I've read on Ottawafoodies.com that this place in Potsdam is nice:
http://www.1844house.com/

You can find cottages in the Adirondacks on vrbo.com. Not sure if they rent by the night though. Usually by the week.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

rejtable wrote:Any suggestions on reasonably nice/romantic accomodations in this general area? Wife and I are looking for ideas for a quick one-night escape in a few weeks. Don't really want to go as far as either Syracuse or Lake Placid. Looking for something with a couple hours of Ottawa, at most.
If you're willing to go a couple of hours, my personal recommendation is to go the extra hour and head to Lake Placid, which is only three hours away and is probably the nicest spot in the area. Saranac Lake is also nice and is a touch closer. There is the thousand Islands area in NY, such as Alexandria Bay and Cape Vincent. I've only driven through so I can't provide a first hand recommendation as a place to stay, but they seem nice. Alexandria Bay would be about two hours away, which would be in your range.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Any recent thoughts on this area? The Potsdam IGA looks great considering where it is, can't find a ton of info on stores otherwise.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Bessettes in canton has stepped up their craft beer selection recently, and has growler fill ups too. It's only about 25min from ogdensburg. The benefit of going to the Potsdam IGA is that they sell all their beers as singles. You will have to buy the entire 6-pack etc at bessettes. I also like to check out CJ's when I go the IGA, they have some odd/rare beers sometimes

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

If you want to stop for lunch, the Blackbird Café in Canton is nice. They have a pretty good selection of craft beer to accompany said lunch. We were lucky enough to partake of a freshly tapped keg of Hill Farmstead Edward last summer. According to FB, they had cans of Heady Topper this past May.

http://www.theblackbirdcafe.com/

Last summer the Sunoco (!) in Canton had Yeti and Arrogant Bastard among others (Turbo Dog, Wailing Wench and the like). They had a growler station as well.

http://craftbeerexchange.wordpress.com/locations/

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Thanks, guys.

Looking to do a quick afternoon trip one of these weekends.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

thought some of the ottawa people might be interested in this. The price chopper just across the border (next to lowes) has increased their craft beer section. they even have a mix 6 pack section now. Still not mind blowing, but pretty solid selection for 50min from Ottawa. I picked up some Flower Power IPA that was 2 weeks old.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Holy shit. Craft beer in the 'burg! Will wonders never cease.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

It's great to see the difference in this thread, what 5 years will do!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Oops, I posted this in the Ottawa thread as well, sorry!

Man, there isn't much around Cornwall on the other side for bottles!
- CJ's was absolutely gross, the IPAs were ancient, the store is full of sketchy people returning bottles.
- The Potsdam IGA is mostly a waste of time. Old Lagunitas or SN products, not much to choose from.

I did go to the Barking Dog Saloon outside Potsdam, and man what a great find! I think literally in a junk yard, but the place was great. Kid friendly, great food, awesome selection of beers (had a Sloop Juice Bomb and a FW Luponic).

The Ogdensburg Price Chopper was pretty solid (at least compared to the rest around!!). Nothing worth driving an hour to get, but if you are in the area worth stopping in. Pictures above were pretty much same idea as today.