Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo NY - what to see and explore?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

All this talk about Buffalo and doing beer runs is getting me excited so I picked up a Buffalo News today. Friday is usually the whats going on section and 2 pub/bars were reviewed or advertised:

Shannon Irish Pub

http://www.shannonpub.com/

Colter Bay Grill

http://www.colterbaygrill.com/beers.asp

Anybody every been?

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Colter Bay is fine. I've been there a number of times. The draft list is better than the website suggests, but it tends to be a noisy place with not much character. But for relatively downtown, it's not bad.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

electroluminescent wrote:We stayed by the Galleria last night, the Airport Millenium hotel courtesy of Hotwire $49, the reviews are pretty bleh for it but we've stayed there twice now and it's actually a great deal at that price
Uh huh. That is insanely cheap, and Buffalo is a car-friendly city.

The only problem is this: drinking liberally at Coles or Pizza Plant is NOT car-friendly. Anybody have good Hotel deals over on Delaware just east of Elmwood Village?
In Beerum Veritas

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

Beermat wrote:Colter Bay is fine. I've been there a number of times. The draft list is better than the website suggests, but it tends to be a noisy place with not much character. But for relatively downtown, it's not bad.
Yep. Though truthfully its ~ 2 kilometers from Coles and Goodbar, so unless you're staying at a hotel across the street why bother?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:
electroluminescent wrote:We stayed by the Galleria last night, the Airport Millenium hotel courtesy of Hotwire $49, the reviews are pretty bleh for it but we've stayed there twice now and it's actually a great deal at that price
Uh huh. That is insanely cheap, and Buffalo is a car-friendly city.

The only problem is this: drinking liberally at Coles or Pizza Plant is NOT car-friendly. Anybody have good Hotel deals over on Delaware just east of Elmwood Village?
Get a cab, you cheapskate :wink: I used to stay at the Red Roof out by the airport ($45 - $60), so is great for both Pizza Plant's and Buffalo Brewpub. A cab ride (when the DD was sick) into Coles/Goodbar was around $30 - $35. Not bad when split between a group of 4. But I was always spoilt and had a DD on my trips to Buffalo.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The web site is pretty awful, but there's a B&B in Elmwood Village, but won't be as cheap as the chain motels. But probably a nice spot for staying, the area around Coles is really nice.

http://www.elmwoodvillageinn.com/HonuHouseHome.html

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn on Delaware closer to downtown before as well. Decently located.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Anybody have good Hotel deals over on Delaware just east of Elmwood Village?
Get a cab, you cheapskate :wink: I used to stay at the Red Roof out by the airport ($45 - $60), so is great for both Pizza Plant's and Buffalo Brewpub. A cab ride (when the DD was sick) into Coles/Goodbar was around $30 - $35. Not bad when split between a group of 4. But I was always spoilt and had a DD on my trips to Buffalo.
Thanks for answering the question! ;)

Anyone else like to try? Never mind, expedia.ca or something will serve me well, I'd just rather stay in the Elmwood Village area, ya dig. I mean Sid have you even noticed the women in this area? (Course not the missus is clearly a keeper!)

I was at the Pizza Plant once though and it would be well worth a few shared cab fares... the freeways are pretty quick to get around.
In Beerum Veritas

maple99

Post by maple99 »

I have not yet been so I can't say how good they are, but the 2 things that intrigue me in Buffalo are Fort Niagara (well actually that is in Youngstown north of NF) and the Pierce-Arrow museum. The latter is high-end cars made in Buffalo in the '20's - my grandmother had one. Also have not yet been inside the Darwin-Martin house (that's the Frank Lloyd Wright place in the city) but I have been to the FLW-designed country house of the same family. It is called Graycliff and is SW of city in Derby, NY. Worth a visit if you are into architecture. At risk of total heresy, why not go to a Sabres game? Easier to get tix and cheaper than Leafs. Usually quite a lively atmosphere in the rink.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Gonna be here from tonight until Tuesday. Detroit got nixed in favour of Buffalo, which I'm guessing is a good decision for numerous reasons.

Right now our plan is to hit Consumers Beverages and Wegman's in Niagara Falls for a quick drink (former) and some groceries (latter), then Blue Monk, Coles, Mister Goodbar, Colter Bay, and Allen's Hardware over the course of tonight, tomorrow, and Monday evening.

We've set aside Monday afternoon for the touristy stuff (FLW House Complex, Albright-Knox Art Gallery, any other suggestions?) and Tuesday will be a bottle run to The Village Beer Merchant and Premier Gourmet.

Are we missing any obvious beer destinations, and is there any non-beer-related attractions that we should consider over the ones I've already mentioned? Your expertise would be much appreciated! Cheers

EDIT: we're staying downtown on Delaware Avenue.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I like Pizza Plant but its usually my "one beer with lunch" place as opposed to a place to spend the evening. Blue Monk and Coles are the top two picks for me by a large margin. Goodbar depending on who you're with, what's on tap, and the local colour that evening!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JerCraigs wrote: I like Pizza Plant but its usually my "one beer with lunch" place as opposed to a place to spend the evening. Blue Monk and Coles are the top two picks for me by a large margin. Goodbar depending on who you're with, what's on tap, and the local colour that evening!
Thanks for the advice! I think we're gonna check out the Pizza Plant when we go to the mall, as it seems to be 10 or 15 minutes north of there. Today we're heading to Goodbar - from what I've read it's a hardcore dingy dive bar, and my girlfriend isn't exactly partial to such places, so I figure the afternoon is the best time to visit. Coles will be tonight. Based on your suggestions it seems like we picked the right spots. Cheers!

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

cratez wrote:
JerCraigs wrote: I like Pizza Plant but its usually my "one beer with lunch" place as opposed to a place to spend the evening. Blue Monk and Coles are the top two picks for me by a large margin. Goodbar depending on who you're with, what's on tap, and the local colour that evening!
Thanks for the advice! I think we're gonna check out the Pizza Plant when we go to the mall, as it seems to be 10 or 15 minutes north of there. Today we're heading to Goodbar - from what I've read it's a hardcore dingy dive bar, and my girlfriend isn't exactly partial to such places, so I figure the afternoon is the best time to visit. Coles will be tonight. Based on your suggestions it seems like we picked the right spots. Cheers!
Be aware that the transit road location of pizza plant still hasn't re-opened (at leas. I don't think it has). They're moving down the street & it has taken longer than they expected to open the doors. The main st. Location is still open though.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

rudolf wrote:
cratez wrote:
Be aware that the transit road location of pizza plant still hasn't re-opened (at leas. I don't think it has). They're moving down the street & it has taken longer than they expected to open the doors. The main st. Location is still open though.
Just about to post this myself. And sadly the Main St can't hold a candle to the Transit Rd location. If you wanna just drink then you are stuck in the walkway to the toilets. At least Transit Road had a proper bar, and great staff. Many a time I've gotten there at 1pm and slowly walked out at 1am.

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

rudolf wrote:
cratez wrote:
The Pizza Plant on Transit is now a Chipotle. We asked about it at the Main location and were told they lost their lease. I read that as Chipotle was willing to pay more for the location. They said they were going to re-open, but didn't say where or when.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

kinguy wrote:
The Pizza Plant on Transit is now a Chipotle. We asked about it at the Main location and were told they lost their lease. I read that as Chipotle was willing to pay more for the location. They said they were going to re-open, but didn't say where or when.
Yeah, its kinda crazy - The Transit pizza plant had been there FOREVER. I remember going there for dinner with my parents probably 20 years ago. The new Transit location will be about half a mile south on Transit road (towards the airport).

-rudy