Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo NY - what to see and explore?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

atomeyes wrote:
rfrf wrote:Going for a Bills game in December - staying about 10 minutes from Blue Monk and Coles. What else is there to see around there?
you into architecture/Frank Lloyd Wright?
Did he open a bar?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I wish! A Frank Lloyd Wright bar would be something to see!

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

rfrf wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
rfrf wrote:Going for a Bills game in December - staying about 10 minutes from Blue Monk and Coles. What else is there to see around there?
Did he open a bar?
Haha awesome. Community beer works had some delicious beers at cask days. I'd definitely get a few growler fills next time I head over.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I'm going to be in Niagara Falls, NY in a few weeks. I know this is a Buffalo thread, but anything decent for stores/bars on the shitty side of the Falls?

aofe

Post by aofe »

I'd recommend Griffon Gastropub. About 15 minute drive from Rainbow Bridge.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

rejtable wrote:I'm going to be in Niagara Falls, NY in a few weeks. I know this is a Buffalo thread, but anything decent for stores/bars on the shitty side of the Falls?
just the consumers on niagara falls blvd, but they are really hit or miss as far as freshness and seasonal stock goes. the brickyard pub in lewiston usually has good taps as well, just 10 minutes from the outlet area. your best off just driving the extra 20 minutes to premier if you're after bottles though.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

it's actually probably really good news.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I did Left Field's bus trip to the Bisons stadium in Buffalo on Saturday. It was my first time doing a LF event and first time at the stadium. From the main entrance with the big sign stadium sponsor, the Consumers craft beer booth is immediately to the right of the entrance. The beef on weck place is directly across from Consumers. Very handy. No matter where you sat it's not a far walk to get to those booths as the concourse isn't huge. From 5:00-6:30pm it's happy hour. $3 beers and $3 BoW sliders, taxes included. Really nice drinking good beer at a stadium (y'all suck Skydome, ACC, etc!) After happy hour the beer is $7. The pours look to be about 12oz, seems about a typical bottle pour. BoW is $7.75.

We were seated in section 114 which is the first base side. Pretty good seats. Given it was a double header and that at best the stadium was half full to a quarter full over those two games, I bailed on those seats after a couple of innings and randomly sat around the stadium. First up was the sunlit seats out in left field. Later on it was largely over by right and center field in various areas.

The bus ride to Buffalo went by quickly thanks to two beers each. I tried their Helles and Session IPA. Both good. A bag of chips was had and the movie 42 was on. Border passing went through without a hitch. Border passing back was easy. Bull Durham was playing.

Plan to go again next year. 8)
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Thin Man Brewing (Mike Shatzel's brewery) opened up.
i don't think they're brewing in house just yet, but that's not that far away.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

atomeyes wrote:Thin Man Brewing (Mike Shatzel's brewery) opened up.
i don't think they're brewing in house just yet, but that's not that far away.
Thanks for noticing! Restaurant is in the soft opening phase right now - hoping to have regular hours by early next week.

We are hoping to have house beers by late summer, until then we have some great guest beers. We currently have stuff from jolly pumpkin, de ranke, mikkeller, almanac, bear republic and many others on tap. Plenty of kegs from grimm, other half, brewski, barrier & others on deck.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
I have not seen the Frank Loyd Wright house.

But the entire Parkway system and parks around Albright Knox were designed by the same Olmsted fellow who designed Central Park New York City! Pretty amazing area, architecturally.

Basically wander streets off the main drag along Elmwood and the parks area behind the Albright Knox which is just north of Coles (pretty good gallery as well the AKAG.)
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Stopped by Thin Man last night. It is a really cool place with a great vibe. The service was incredibly slow; had it not been for the bottle of Mexican Cake that we really wanted to try, we likely would have left as it took about 15 minutes (maybe more) to have our drink order taken. That being said, once they figured out that we were there, the service was excellent. It was obvious that a the wait staff was still figuring things out, so we let it slide. Will definitely return, hopefully to try their house beers.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Just came back from a quick cross border hop run to grab some of Woodcock's new XPA at Brewed and Bottled in lewiston (maybe 10 minutes or less from the Q-L bridge). Two things:

- this new store is great and will likely be my go to spot from now on. Chris knows his stuff and is genuinely enthusiastic about the growing selection of great local beer. Great set up, similar to VBM where you can order a beer from their nice selection of drafts and browse the store. It's not a huge store by any means, but it doesn't really need to be as long as they keep their stock fresh and still stock classic essentials.

- Before I purchased any XPA, I was happy to get the chance to try a pour while chatting with Chris and was pleasantly surprised. Very nice amount of mango and melon coming through with a smooth, mild bitterness. Not sweet at all, which is a major plus compared to many IPAs locally. I'm hoping the cans I bought taste even better!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Chris is awesome. His price on Prairie growler fills was the best I've seen anywhere outside Oklahoma.

That whole little Main St in Lewistown has some neat shops. The bistro a couple doors down will let you BYOB if it comes from Chris' shop.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo