San Diego

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada

San Diego

Postby cannondale » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 am

Flying down for work in a couple of weeks. I'll probably be there 3 or 4 days, and I'll have a car. Where the heck should I go for a beer??
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
User avatar
Kish84
Bar Fly
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 pm
Location: Kitchener

Postby Kish84 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Not that I've ever been, but please tell me you're planning on going to Stone.
Also this place looks like it has a great list, http://www.sdtaproom.com/
User avatar
grub
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:16 pm
Location: Biergötter Homebrew Club, Brantford
Contact:

Postby grub » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:46 pm

stone for sure. lost abbey is a cool stop. alesmith is good too if you're around when they're open. o'briens has tasty beer (and a cask on thursdays if i remember correctly). toronado sd is also good. and while i didn't get a chance to drink anything at pizza port carlsbad (they were closing as we arrived), it looked pretty cool.

if you wnat to venture further north, hollingshead deli and the bruery in orange county both kick serious ass.

if you head east, alpine is supposed to be pretty good, but i was told to check what's on tap before making the drive out as there isn't a whole lot else out that way.

other resources:
beermapping san diego
beefly guide for san diego
(assuming there's something from ratebeer if you're one of those)
cannondale
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Postby cannondale » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:53 pm

I ended up going to:
The Yard House (massive tap selection, decent menu)
Karl Strauss - Sorrento Mesa (beautiful site with a Japanese garden and koi pond)
The Beer Co. (good draft selection, lots of Cali micro's)
Neighborhood (fantastic draft and bottle selection and the 'secret' bar Noble Experiment is fairly neat)

Heading back next week. This time I'll be staying north of the city (hilton torrey pines), so I'll be able to hit some of the sites out that way (Stone, Alesmith, etc.) that I didn't get to last time.

I'll also have a few hours layover at San Francisco airport on my way out, so I'll have to check out the Anchor Brewing restaurant there.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
iguenard
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Postby iguenard » Sat May 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Bump Cannondale!

I am planning on heading out there this year and will have a car. What did you think of Alesmith and Stone?
cannondale
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Postby cannondale » Mon May 16, 2011 3:03 pm

iguenard wrote:Bump Cannondale!

I am planning on heading out there this year and will have a car. What did you think of Alesmith and Stone?


I wish I could tell you Ian, but unfortunately I never made it to either. One of the downsides of travelling with or meeting colleagues on business trips, is that you are often unable to choose your entertainment agenda!

I enjoyed plenty of good beer on that trip (in particular several Lost Abbey products) however, other than a Karl Strauss, I didn't make it to any beer destinations of note!

I guarantee you will enjoy San Diego! I love that area, cant wait to go back.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
User avatar
Cass
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3296
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby Cass » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Anyone have any experiences hitting the breweries of SD but without their own car (ie limo, tour, etc.?). Looking for alternate routes to brewery tour without a DD!
iguenard
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Postby iguenard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:16 am

Hey Cass. Ill be there in Octobre and what I thought I'd do is post in the BeerAdvocate and Ratebeer trade forums a thread titled : "FT: box of Canadian beers. iSO: San Diego tour guide"

Haven't done that yet but I'm pretty sure I won't have any trouble getting a beer buddy with a car versus some Cantillon and Charlevoix beers :)

I'll let you know how that turns out.
User avatar
Cass
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3296
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby Cass » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 am

Nice idea! I'm actually heading down in September. Will report back anything we figure out!
rudolf
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:07 pm

Postby rudolf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Don't know if their brewery is worth checking out, but the few beers I've had from Alpine have brought a tear to my eye. Their Nelson is truly stunning.
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2583
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:41 pm

I am heading out there on the 30th for a few days. Planning to hit the Stone Brewpub, Toronado, Linkery, Yard House, Karl Straus and DOwntown Johnny Browns. Looking forward to a beer coma!

I wish that some of the brewries/tasting rooms were closer to downtown so I could hit AleSmith, Ballast Point, etc.
User avatar
Cass
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3296
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby Cass » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:55 am

I'm booked for the Labour Day weekend in SD, staying in La Jolla. And on that note, evidently the head brewer from Alesmith went to the La Jolla brewhouse earlier in the year. Definitely worth checking out!

http://lajolla.patch.com/articles/alesm ... lden-child
cannondale
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Postby cannondale » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:42 pm

TheSevenDuffs wrote:I am heading out there on the 30th for a few days. Planning to hit the Stone Brewpub, Toronado, Linkery, Yard House, Karl Straus and DOwntown Johnny Browns. Looking forward to a beer coma!

I wish that some of the brewries/tasting rooms were closer to downtown so I could hit AleSmith, Ballast Point, etc.


I highly recommend: http://www.neighborhoodsd.com/menu-beer-tap.php
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2583
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 am

cannondale wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I am heading out there on the 30th for a few days. Planning to hit the Stone Brewpub, Toronado, Linkery, Yard House, Karl Straus and DOwntown Johnny Browns. Looking forward to a beer coma!

I wish that some of the brewries/tasting rooms were closer to downtown so I could hit AleSmith, Ballast Point, etc.


I highly recommend: http://www.neighborhoodsd.com/menu-beer-tap.php
Added to my list. Thanks!
cannondale
Bar Fly
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Postby cannondale » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 pm

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
cannondale wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I am heading out there on the 30th for a few days. Planning to hit the Stone Brewpub, Toronado, Linkery, Yard House, Karl Straus and DOwntown Johnny Browns. Looking forward to a beer coma!

I wish that some of the brewries/tasting rooms were closer to downtown so I could hit AleSmith, Ballast Point, etc.


I highly recommend: http://www.neighborhoodsd.com/menu-beer-tap.php
Added to my list. Thanks!


And send an RSVP to gain entry to 'hidden' bar Noble Experiment in the back. It's worth checking out...

http://www.nobleexperimentsd.com/
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Local Beer Guides”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests