Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Salt Lake City

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Salt Lake City

Post by cannondale »

Other than Epic brewing, it doesn't exactly look like a beer nirvana. Any experience here?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

cannondale wrote:Other than Epic brewing, it doesn't exactly look like a beer nirvana. Any experience here?
All I remember from being a 16 year old diving with my parents through SLC was my dad cursing because he couldn't find a corner store that sold beer. That was in the 80's.
BA recommends Unita Brewery, Porcupine Brewpub and The Bayou.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Not easy to find (interesting) beer retail here. Exactly the same macro junk and local low ABV stuff in every grocery store and gas station. I had bombers of Epic IPA and witbier in the restaurant of the hotel I'm staying at (Bambara at The Monaco, excellent food too, top rated chef in SLC I'm told). And during my self-guided random walking tour of downtown stopped in for a pint of Uinta Cutthroat pale ale (perfect for the 99F heat).

Tomorrow night I'll check out The Bayou.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Beerhive Pub - Located smack in the middle of downtown. A pile of local drafts (Note: all draft beer in Utah is max 3.2% abv), and an extensive bottle list, focussing on US beers, but there is also plenty of international representation. I tried a bunch, as this place was mere steps from my hotel, but the standouts were: firestone walker double jack ipa, firestone walker wookie jack black rye ipa & and boulevard saison brett 2011. I didn't eat here, so cannot comment on the food.

The Bayou - A little outside of the downtown core, in that transition zone from 'pull out a map on the street corner' to 'prohibitively sketchy'. Cajun themed food. I had jambalaya and it was tasty. Tons of local draft and bottles. These folks are a little more focussed on the belgians.

Bambara - Restaurant in the monaco hotel. Top notch cuisine. Decent bottle selection. Bombers of Epic aplenty. As noted, I enjoy the Epic IPA and witbier.

Squatter's Pub - Cavernous brewpub in downtown SLC. Wide selection of squatter's draft and bottled products. The kind of place you go with a large group looking to have a thorough drinking session.

Porcupine Pub and Grille - Ski chalet style restaurant, located at the gateway to the ski areas in the Wasatch mountains. Plenty of local draft beer, no bottles. Not overly interesting or high end food, but for what it is, it's pretty darn good.

I'd recommend going out of your way for Beerhive and Bayou if in SLC.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the tips in this thread, heading to SLC next week for some skiing. Anything new?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Salt Lake was a fun visit and gets its own report:

http://www.bartowel.com/bar-towel-on-th ... city-utah/