Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Detroit

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

cannondale wrote:
iguenard wrote:Cherry wheat eh? :)
Out of a plastic cup, no less.. Mmmmmmm!
Oh you betta 'ave used a straw wit it!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

iguenard wrote:
cannondale wrote:
iguenard wrote:Cherry wheat eh? :)
Out of a plastic cup, no less.. Mmmmmmm!
Oh you betta 'ave used a straw wit it!
Was this stuff better at one time, because the RB ratings are VERY generous at 31/54.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

On tap. Is a very different beer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Heading here with my girlfriend on the weekend of December 9th. We put it off earlier in the year since we had a full week to spare and Buffalo seemed like the much better destination.

Anyhow, our plan is to hit Slow's BBQ for dinner and drinks on Friday, Detroit Beer Co. for some samples and a tour Saturday afternoon, Michael Symon's Roast and a Red Wings/Jets game in the evening, and Grand Trunk and Merchant's Fine Wine for lunch and a bottle shop Sunday afternoon. I notice a slew of Bar Towellers have been to the city recently and I'm wondering if these are solid choices and whether anyone would recommend other spots over the ones that we're eyeing.

Also, as paranoid Canadians the inevitable safety question must be asked. I haven't been to Detroit for over a decade. What's the downtown like today? Is it walkable and safe? Any areas to avoid? Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Mike, whatever you do, promise you will go to Slows. Try to go during a slow time of day to reduce your wait time. But even if there is a wait, wait it out. Opt for a seat at the bar if that will reduce your wait too.

Once you tuck into your ribs (opt for the baby backs), pulled pork, mac & cheese or whatever, and wash it down with a fresh pint of Hop Slam, you won't regret it.

When I was there we got to Slows just after the lunch rush, and spent several hours belly up to the bar eating and drinking great beer before catching a ride down to Joe Louis for the game [with a couple of cool (despite being Wings fans) people from Grand Rapids we met at Slows]. Great way to spend an afternoon/evening.

In terms of safety, I've spent alot of time wandering around downtown Detroit late at night after too many drinks, and I'm still alive enough to type this. Nevertheless, keep your head up, take taxi's between locales if it makes you feel better, and stay in the nicer, better lit areas.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Was in the Royal Oak area earlier. My usual bottle stop was closed (5 PM on sundays) but hit the Holiday Market in its place. Good selection of Michigan Micro's and a pretty impressive selection of west coast and imported micro's. A bitless than what you'd find at Premier in Buffalo but far more than yourbest consumers would have. Cheapest price I've seen on Jolly Pumpkin bombers too.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Hey Mike, John and I were in Detroit last weekend. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott, which depending what side of the hotel you're on, you can literally see the Windsor-Detroit tunnel.

I have to agree, Slow's is a must, however, and I'm guessing you already know this, Hop Slam's not out until January. They did have Breakfast Stout on tap when we were there though. They do a great job of updating their website, and put up a new Cask offering every Thursday. Bottle's are non-existent on the web site, but are available, we got a DFH 120 Min for $10. I don't think I need to speak for the food here.

I enjoyed Grand Trunk quite a bit. Very nice bartenders there lol. I don't know if this is a normal thing, but we asked about a mead with the intention of purchasing it, but instead the bartender said not to worry about it and just gave us a decent sized sample. Later on another bartender sampled a beer and to make conversation we asked if he enjoyed it, he answered and gave us a sample of it too. Only had Chicken Wings and Mozza Sticks here, but both were good.

We didn't do Merchant's this time, but did do Champane's. Based on past memories Merchant's is better. I liked Holiday Market better than Cloverleaf based on selection. Overall atmosphere, Cloverleaf is great, low lighting, cool temperatures.

In terms of safety, the downtown core seemed fine. The only place we walked to in the evening was Grand Trunk, which was about 10 minutes from the hotel. Walked around quite a bit the next morning before the football game, no issues there other than a lot of places being closed downtown on Sunday's. Cab's seem ridiculously cheap, our 10 minute cab ride to Slow's was just over $6, but from what we were told, it is sometimes very hard to get a cab in Detroit. Honestly, you can probably google where to avoid. Also, from what I've read, walk with confidence (ie. don't look like a tourist) and you should be fine.

I also have to thank you for continuously saying good things about Wolverine Market. We went there on the way in and out. Andy was great and offered us stuff from "the back". Much better service at Wolverine than any of the other places we went this time.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Mike,
Emma and I were in Detroit in Oct. for the Michigan Brewers Guild Fall Beer fest. Go next year, it was great. Anyway the only other stop we made downtown that weekend was the Detroit Beer Co. They had fresh Huma Lupa Licious on and it was fantastic. Their Milkshake stout was a pleasant surprise. Sounds like an awesome weekend. Enjoy!!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Sounds like we're on the right track. Thanks for all the comments. We're staying in the heart of downtown so we'll probably just cab to Slow's and walk to the daytime/nearby destinations. Might switch Roast to Friday and hit Slow's before the game, in light of Nigel's experience. Good to know Detroit Beer Co. has guest taps; that's all the more reason to visit. I'll keep an eye out for the Huma and Milkshake Stout. Kishan - I'm glad you enjoyed Wolverine. They've become a great alternative to Ryan's and I think they differentiate themselves with better service and slightly fresher stock.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

cratez wrote:Buffalo seemed like the much better destination.
That's not something you hear very often! (but yeah, it's nice to do something different when you have the time).

The Michigan Brewers Guild summer & winter fests were pretty awesome. There really is a lot of great beer being brewed in Michigan.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

they're on opposite ends of the city, but if i'm doing serious beer shopping i hit both champagnes and merchants. champagnes is always cheaper, and seems to have little or any bottle limits. unfortunately, that means they often sell out of things faster than merchants, but i was able to grab a case of batch 10k at champagnes and it was a 1 bottle-limit-gotta-ask-from-the-back-room at merchants. I generally hit champagnes, swing around the corner to kuhnhenn for a beer and/or growlers, then head down toward dearborn. if the trip to champagnes is good enough i won't even bother with merchants... depends how the traffic and the day is going. service at kuhnhenn is hit or miss, but their regulars are solid and the rotating brews can be damn good to amazing. i keep meaning to stop at dragonmead (which is right in the area too), but it hasn't happened yet.

the selection at merchants is awesome, and if you don't see something you want, ask. they often have things tucked away and can be talked into bringing some out for you. if you're a homebrewer, my still reigning favourite homebrew shop ever is near merchants too - adventures in homebrewing on van born at 94+telegraph.

detroit beer co is neat if you're in the area. the beers aren't amazing, but they're solid. growler fills are cheap too, so worth bringing a little home or back to the hotel. i think tuesday is their growler day and they're roughly the same cost as a pint if i remember right, which gets even crazier if you're in their mug club since pints were something like $3!

i still haven't made it to slows, but i hear nothing but good things about the food and beer. the one and only negative i've heard is to go during the day as it ain't the best part of town and i've heard of people's cars being broken into. cabbing solves that problem.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I think Slow's now has parking that has a security guard on patrol for about $3. I saw it on the website but can't seem to find it anymore. Also, while I was there, I saw a security guard bring in a parking sign. I would still cab though as from downtown it should be less than $10. Oh, and if you want a table at Slow's, I'd call and see if they take reservations beforehand. We got lucky cause there were 2 empty seats at the bar.

Also, if you like coffee, there's a place down the street from Slow's that has very good ratings. Astro Coffee. We wanted to go, but they close early on Sunday's and aren't open on Monday's.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

grub wrote: if the trip to champagnes is good enough i won't even bother with merchants
What's the area like around Champagnes? I notice it's just past all the "Mile" roads in Detroit, but I'll gladly head there over Merchant's if the neighbourhood isn't a war zone.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Champane's is in an okay location, not going to suggest you leave your car unlocked, but you can spend 30 minutes inside without worrying your car will be on blocks when you come back out. Plus its just a short trip over to Kuhnhenn from Champanes!
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

cratez wrote:What's the area like around Champagnes? I notice it's just past all the "Mile" roads in Detroit, but I'll gladly head there over Merchant's if the neighbourhood isn't a war zone.
yeah, definitely an okay spot there. it's on chicago, which is between 13+14mile. couple times now we've gone over and dropped my wife + MIL at oakland mall on 14, then me and my FIL have popped over to champagnes + kuhnhenn until they were ready to head back. not a bad deal!