Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal - Crescent Area

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:A great, compact day planner is theKnopf Map Guide, plus it's useful to google map / print off the pubs downtown, lower St Denis area and (IMO) the best ones around the Plateau. A walking 'beer route' is one of those great ways to explore the city, and the Knopf guide is a good primer for undiscovered areas.

@ Open Air Books.
Sounds like a good guide. I've been using Lonely Planet - Montreal & Quebec City (I'm also a fan of Eyewitness Travel Guides).

I'm flying up next week, I'll be there 3 days with a relatively light work schedule, so I should have plenty of time and energy to do some exploring and beer sampling..

Any recent releases I should be looking out for guys?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cannondale wrote:I've been using Lonely Planet - Montreal & Quebec City (I'm also a fan of Eyewitness Travel Guides)
I try different guides, for example I used the Eyewitness for Hamburg Germany because nobody else makes one. Eyewitness weigh a TON. But they make nice coffee table books with the pictures and drawings.

I usually rely on guides Rick Steves, or Cadogan from the UK if you can find them. No mainstream books like Frommers or Fodor.

But for Montreal the Knopf Mapguide is a reliable pocket sized book, and then you just need a free Metro map and a 3-day unlimited travel with an OPUS card for bus and subway. The OPUS card can be used when you go back, just re-load it. Makes TTC look like shit (oh wait... TTC IS shit. I can't believe Canada's biggest metropolis doesn't just FIRE these foot-dragging, outmoded losers.)
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:I try different guides, for example I used the Eyewitness for Hamburg Germany because nobody else makes one. Eyewitness weigh a TON. But they make nice coffee table books with the pictures and drawings.

I usually rely on guides Rick Steves, or Cadogan from the UK if you can find them. No mainstream books like Frommers or Fodor.

But for Montreal the Knopf Mapguide is a reliable pocket sized book, and then you just need a free Metro map and a 3-day unlimited travel with an OPUS card for bus and subway. The OPUS card can be used when you go back, just re-load it. Makes TTC look like shit (oh wait... TTC IS shit. I can't believe Canada's biggest metropolis doesn't just FIRE these foot-dragging, outmoded losers.)
Im going to check out the Knof Maguides.

JRoc, Im there just just about monthly, we manufacture drugs u that way. Hoefully our schedules mesh at some juncture.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I'll be in Montreal tomorrow until Friday. Plan to hit Vices et Versa and Broue Pub Brouhaha this time.

Very dissapointed that my flight home leaves a couple hourse after this...

http://www.ratebeer.com/event/15942/

...event kicks off...