Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal - Crescent Area

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Montreal - Crescent Area

Post by Ralphus »

I'm organizing a bachelor party in Montreal about a week from now and will be based in Crescent / St. Catherine strips. Most of the guys have no interest in beer so its unlikely we would move from the area, unless the weather really chews, in which case maybe I could wrangle them up to Vices et Versa or DDC.

In any case.. are there any beer options other than Brutopia (which would not go over well with any of us) and Trois Brasseurs (which is bordering on pointlessness) in the area? Even a single tap of St. Ambroise Pale Ale would be welcome relief..

P.S Also if you have any *cough* exotic dancing establishment.. recommendations ..that would be useful. Please PM me.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

notdan

Post by notdan »

My buddy has been bartending at Grumpy's on Bishop for a while now and I stopped by to chill this past Saturday afternoon. Generic basement pub, but it's in the right area. Not a great beer tap list, but they do have St. Ambroise Pale Ale, Griffon beers, Cheval Blanc, Bierbrier (a new-ish pale ale that was kinda weird but pretty decent), and some other stuff that was apparently forgettable.

I'll be living in this area starting this fall so I'd love to hear about any other places with decent beer.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Benelux is fairly close and L'amere a boire isn't totally uphill (like DDC), and is only a few metro stops away. There's a few other brew pubs in the nicer St. Denis area... but I don't know about the dancers.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Ralphus wrote: P.S Also if you have any *cough* exotic dancing establishment.. recommendations ..that would be useful. Please PM me.
The famous exotic dance joint in Montreal is Club Super S*x. Right downtown I believe (on Ste. Catherine?). I'm not a conoisseur of such establishments so I can't comment on its quality. Or tap list.

Most of the cool beer places are easily Metro-able or cab-able.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Gedge wrote: The famous exotic dance joint in Montreal is Club Super S*x. Right downtown I believe (on Ste. Catherine?). I'm not a conoisseur of such establishments so I can't comment on its quality. Or tap list.
You'll be stunned how much a quart bottle of Labatt 50 costs. AND the doormen expect a tip for walking you to your table.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I'll second Derek on Benelux. It's on Sherbrooke, just a couple of blocks east of McGill.

And, if I recall, there are some fantastic beers to be had at Chez Paris, on Stanley just south of Ste. Catherine.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

The bachelor party was a great success - but good beer was not part of it. The key for our large group was good service. We bounced back and forth between patios at Sir Winston Churchills on Crescent and the Irish Embassy on bishop. Suppers were at Trois Brasseurs which was actually a big hit with the guys. And they had a seasonal pale ale available which was actually pretty good.

I tried to get everyone out to Benelux but after three consecutive cabs had no idea where it was, that plan ended and we fell back to our usual routine.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

The_Jester wrote:I'll second Derek on Benelux. It's on Sherbrooke, just a couple of blocks east of McGill.

And, if I recall, there are some fantastic beers to be had at Chez Paris, on Stanley just south of Ste. Catherine.
I'll be back in Montreal for 3 or 4 days the week of Sept. 12, staying at the hilton bonaventure (saint antoine and university). Definitely heading back to Benelux. I've not yet been to Chez Paree, it's only a few blocks from the hotel so I'll check it out and report back.

Any recent releases in Quebec that I should be on the lookout for at the Deppaneurs or SAQ?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

cannondale wrote:
The_Jester wrote:I'll second Derek on Benelux. It's on Sherbrooke, just a couple of blocks east of McGill.

I'll be back in Montreal for 3 or 4 days the week of Sept. 12, staying at the hilton bonaventure (saint antoine and university). Definitely heading back to Benelux. I've not yet been to Chez Paree, it's only a few blocks from the hotel so I'll check it out and report back.

Any recent releases in Quebec that I should be on the lookout for at the Deppaneurs or SAQ?
St Ambroise pumpkin just came out, I think. Rochefort 10 hitting SAQ that week, but you may just miss it.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

rejtable wrote:St Ambroise pumpkin just came out, I think. Rochefort 10 hitting SAQ that week, but you may just miss it.
Thank you sir! I checked the SAQ website and it appears that Rochefort 8 and 10 are actually in stock now? $4.00 for the 8 and $4.45 for the 10...I'll be bringing a few home for certain. Definitely some of the citrouille as well.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

cannondale wrote:
rejtable wrote:St Ambroise pumpkin just came out, I think. Rochefort 10 hitting SAQ that week, but you may just miss it.
Thank you sir! I checked the SAQ website and it appears that Rochefort 8 and 10 are actually in stock now? $4.00 for the 8 and $4.45 for the 10...I'll be bringing a few home for certain. Definitely some of the citrouille as well.
Yeah, I've seen a few 10 popping up. If you have an iPhone, the SAQ has a pretty good little app that'll help you find stuff while you are on the move.

The St. Ambroise Imp Russian Stout is coming out soon, but I haven't seen dates yet (maybe out now??).

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Didn't end up buying or drinking much at all on this trip, due to workload and socializing with colleagues.

I had a 'pint' of amber (there's an unpleasant sweetness to this one) at L3B on Monday night. On Tuesday night we went out for my birthday, at Brutopia I had a glass each of the stout (not bad) and the IPA (not good), at Hurley's Irish Pub next door I had a glass of Unibroue BdC. Wednesday I had a pint of Guinness in the ML Lounge before my flight out.

That's it, that's all for 3 days in Montreal.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sounds like you needed to extend your trip for 'personal days' CD!

Beers at Brutopia are... kinda Brutal Topia. Lived and learned!

Benelux has a fighting chance for very good tap beers, and so does Cheval Blanc on a good day. Same St. Bock. All strolling distance downtown, really I can't understand why you guys would not hit more of them at some point at least for a quick solo night cap (make an excuse to slip away for some errands heh heh.)

Very fetching city!
In Beerum Veritas

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:Sounds like you needed to extend your trip for 'personal days' CD!

Beers at Brutopia are... kinda Brutal Topia. Lived and learned!

Benelux has a fighting chance for very good tap beers, and so does Cheval Blanc on a good day. Same St. Bock. All strolling distance downtown, really I can't understand why you guys would not hit more of them at some point at least for a quick solo night cap (make an excuse to slip away for some errands heh heh.)

Very fetching city!
I love Montreal.

I've often stolen away for a couple pints or extended for personal days, but sadly due to a number of factors it wasn't in the cards this time out.

I vow to make a better showing when I'm there mid October!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A great, compact day planner is theKnopf Map Guide, plus it's useful to google map / print off the pubs downtown, lower St Denis area and (IMO) the best ones around the Plateau. A walking 'beer route' is one of those great ways to explore the city, and the Knopf guide is a good primer for undiscovered areas.

@ Open Air Books.
In Beerum Veritas