Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Erie PA

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Erie PA

Post by sprague11 »

Work is taking me to a Monday conference in Erie PA, which means the wife will have 2 days to get her fill of outlet shopping. Anyone know of any good bottle stores in the area?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I had a really hard time finding anything good there last year so I stocked up elsewhere. Your best bet might be to find the Wegmans and hopefully you can grab a few interesting things that don't make their way to WNY there (Bells?).

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

You might have a hard time finding decent single bottles, as the liquor retail laws in PA are very restrictive.

Some excerpts from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_la ... nnsylvania -

Beer may only be purchased from a restaurant, bar, licensed beer store, or distributor. Beer distributors mainly sell cases and kegs of beer, not smaller volumes of beer such as six packs. Six and twelve packs, along with individual bottles such as 40 ounce or 24 ounce beers, are sold at bars, restaurants, and licensed retailers. A consumer is limited to 192 ounces of beer per purchase. For larger quantities one must go to a beverage distributor which sells beer only by the case or keg.

Some supermarkets, including Wegmans, Giant Eagle, and Weis, have begun to sell alcohol within restaurants attached to the main supermarket building, but only under very specific conditions (the restaurant must have a defined separation from the rest of the supermarket, a separate cashier, and seating for at least 30 patrons).

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

If you don't mind driving about an extra 45-60 minutes, Voodoo Brewing is in Meadville. I was just camping there this weekend but unfortunately didn't get a chance to go. I've had a chance to try Big Black Voodoo Daddy, it was pretty good, but I only had a small sample of it and the bottle was sitting out in the sun and already opened.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

http://beermapping.com/a/724

I've never been there, but the Upick 6 store looks pretty good based on their list, they admit you need to call first. The listed is dated 2009 by the URL

http://www.upick6beerstore.com/
http://www.upick6beerstore.com/cms/uplo ... ov09-2.pdf

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

PA is a Communist state!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm considering driving into Mentor Ohio and hunting down some hoppin frog bottles. Looks to be an extra 90 mintues which isn't too terrible.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

GregClow wrote:A consumer is limited to 192 ounces of beer per purchase. For larger quantities one must go to a beverage distributor which sells beer only by the case or keg.
On our last trip thru PA we stopped and bought about 20 different beers (bottles and six packs - way over 2 x 192 oz) and the clerk simply ran 3 transactions of less than 192 oz per and even insisted it was illegal for anyone person to carry more than 192 oz out the door, so he grabbed one of the bags and walked us to our car... and the children of PA stayed safe for another day!
I am also pretty sure I saw some communists loitering outside as well.

JK

Post by JK »

We have had pretty good luck with the U pick 6 shop. They kinda skirt the whole you must buy a whole case law (which is absurd in my opinion) by having pints to purchase and a Panine grill. I almost shed a tear being able to get a pint of Pumking and just paroose the selection. The prices are a little on the pricey side. All of the regulars are there (Bells, Stone, Victory, Great Lakes and so on) If they still have them get a mystery bag. Its a mix six of beer in a brown paper bag stapled closed. I ended up with a Bell's two hearted and expedition stout and a Victory Golden Monkey as well as three others that escape my memory. When you go to open it it is just like Christmas morning but the beer has been chosen by someone that knows a thing or two about decent beer and not a random choosing of eastern European lagers that fill the LCBO shelf.

We have also had good luck at the Brewerie. Its a good brewpub in a old train station in downtown Erie. The beers are nothing earth shattering but all the ones I have had were pretty good. They also have guest taps and bottles. Nothing says welcome to Erie like a 15% Voodoo Black Magick for lunch. Good times.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Will be heading down in mid September, and we figured since we're driving may as well head into Mentor OH and see if I have any luck finding some BORIS the Crusher for my pre and post wedding parties.

BTW anyone in Newmarket Oct 2nd is more than welcome to stop in for a bottle or two as well as some roasted pig :o

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

sprague11 wrote:Will be heading down in mid September, and we figured since we're driving may as well head into Mentor OH and see if I have any luck finding some BORIS the Crusher for my pre and post wedding parties.

BTW anyone in Newmarket Oct 2nd is more than welcome to stop in for a bottle or two as well as some roasted pig :o
BORIS is pretty easy to find in NE Ohio; Natasha, not so much.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Heading here to visit family over the Civic Weekend (August 4 to 7). Planning to hit Lavery, Voodoo, Erie Ale Works, and possibly the Brewerie at Union Station for breweries/brewpubs, and U Pick 6 Tap House and Jekyll & Hyde’s for bars/gastropubs. Will also be spending the Friday at Southern Tier before heading into town on Saturday. Is there anything not mentioned here that's worth visiting? Also, any recommendations for sights/sounds/tourist attractions? Your help is greatly appreciated. :D
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

When we went in April we went to 1000 Beers on peach st. The lady (owner?) was friendly and helpful. She couldn't believe the low prices we can get Belgians for in ontario

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

GtownRandy wrote:When we went in April we went to 1000 Beers on peach st. The lady (owner?) was friendly and helpful. She couldn't believe the low prices we can get Belgians for in ontario
Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know about that place. Mad Mex Erie and the U Pick 6 Beer Store are in the same area so we might stop by when we head out that way. Any notable beers that I should look out for there?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

the problem we had going there and to wegman's is that my wife and i love ipa's, but most of the one's we got had lost their hoppiness and had that malty, old taste.

the wegman's in erie had a display of fat heads brewery which is near cleveland and is highly rated. as long as they're not the same cases that were there in april, the head hunter and sunshine daydream were good.
http://fatheadsbeer.com/beer.html