Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Big M in Potsdam NY?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Big M in Potsdam NY?

Post by JeffPorter »

Heading down to do some camping in that part of the state this weekend, and thought I would stop by and see what they had to bring home? BA reviews say it's probably the best place in the area for getting U.S. craft...

Anyone ever been there? Anything I should particularly look out for?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

JeffPorter wrote:Heading down to do some camping in that part of the state this weekend, and thought I would stop by and see what they had to bring home? BA reviews say it's probably the best place in the area for getting U.S. craft...

Anyone ever been there? Anything I should particularly look out for?
I have been there a couple of times. It is pretty cool. The last few times I have gone standouts I have picked up have been from the Breckenridge Brewery from Colorado. Their Vanilla Porter is really good and their 471 Double IPA is awesome. Also the store has a growler station set up with three taps. According to their facebook page as of Saturday then had Sierra Nevada Summerfest, Lake Placid UBU and a keg of Dog Fish Head 120 Minute IPA on tap. If you are on facebook search for Potsdam IGA and they have a bunch of pictures and other information about what they have.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

very cool thanks...just called the manager, and he's going to fill a 16oz growler today of Dog Fish Head 120 and put it aside for me...Can't wait...

Also, he's going to send me an email on Thursday of what's in their warehouse, he'll send over anything I want by Friday when I passing through...

Place sounds pretty great...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

JeffPorter wrote:very cool thanks...just called the manager, and he's going to fill a 16oz growler today of Dog Fish Head 120 and put it aside for me...Can't wait...

Also, he's going to send me an email on Thursday of what's in their warehouse, he'll send over anything I want by Friday when I passing through...

Place sounds pretty great...
Hey Jeff, would you mind passing that list on to me? I'm going to be in the area in the next few weeks... would love to know what he has available.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Just went down to Potsdam IGA and CJs today. Lots of pumpkins, ocktoberfests, harvest ales etc for the autumn inclined.

I also stopped by The Olde Smokehouse in Madrid Springs for a smoked, pulled pork sandwich. It's only about 15 minutes from Potsdam and it's damn tasty! Ribs are available after 4pm. I was too early for that, put I saw them smoking away in the smokehouse next to the restaurant.

TrishV

Post by TrishV »

The Potsdam IGA has some great selection, just be sure to look around, sometimes it can be spread out across a couple of racks and you can even come across the odd find in the beer cooler with the macro beers.

CJs gets majorly panned on Beer Advocate, but honestly I find they've got pretty decent selection as well. I would say if you're heading to Potsdam you might as well check out both. Mind you, CJs is a bit dusty inside and the people who work there are always "interesting" and not particularly helpful. It's hard to find, set pretty far back from the main road in a strip mall, I think it's called the "SeaComm" plaza, just pull in where you see the big sign for Family Dollar.

I think you get more selection from the IGA, but the have really limited stock on a lot of it so it's worth checking out both places. If a 6 pack looks really dusty at CJs I'd try to find a date on it, would not surprise me in the least if some of the stuff on the bottom shelf has sat around for awhile. They're only a couple of minutes form each other so there's no reason not to check out both.

Bessette's Liquor's & Wine in Canton also has some decent stuff. I think I found some of the Infinium there once. Canton is about 20 minutes form Potsdam. I'd say Potsdam is better, but if you find yourself in Canton it's your best bet.

In any grocery store you can find some local stuff that's reasonably priced. Saranac isn't an exciting beer to write home about, but is from the area and have mixed packs that can be fun if you're camping. Lake Placid has a fun restaurant/tap room you can visit if you're there, the beer is also available in grocery stores. I think the Ubu is thier flagship beer, it's reasonable if you want to try something else local.