Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Prioritizing a Cross Canada Trip.....Advice

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Prioritizing a Cross Canada Trip.....Advice

Post by boney »

I’m looking for a little advice.

Starting on January 26th and going through to February 11th I’m traveling across Canada for medical residency interviews. I’m hitting 9 cities in 16 days. The cities include Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Halifax, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton, and London, in that order. For BT’ers in those cities, or familiar with those cities, if you could hit only 1 beer related place, recommend only 1 hidden gem, or sample or pick up only 1 must have current seasonal release in those cities, what would you recommend?

Unfortunately, my time is tight. I’m staying only 1 night in many of those cities and often have an afternoon interview in a different city the next day. Therefore, I won’t be going crazy with the beer, hence the prioritization of beer related experiences. I obviously have Calgary covered, but any advice related to the other cities would be greatly appreciated.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Well, for Edmonton the go to place is Sugar Bowl, 1/2 block south of the high level bridge. Good beer selection on tap & bottles and great food, too.

For a grungy, dive bar-style place then Wunderbar is the place to hit. Live bands everynight, all local taps and a good craft/micro bottle selection. Down side is they don't open until 7pm!

As for seasonal's in Edmonton? None really as you get them all in Calgary but just in case, the Abbey Kat is a very good buy.
Last edited by Torontoblue on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Sounds like an awesome trip. How many of us get to travel across Canada for work? I'm very jealous of you.

For London I suggest:

1) Must-Visit Destination Beer Bar: Gambrinus Bistro & Cafe

2) Hidden Gem: The Black Shire Pub (inner-city) or The King Edward (outskirts)

3) Local Seasonal: Railway City Brewing Black Coal Stout is currently on tap at Brennan's Bistro downtown or you can purchase bottles at the brewery in St. Thomas (15 minutes south of London). If you don't have time for either of these options, you should at least grab some cans of Dead Elephant Ale and Iron Spike Blonde at the LCBO (not seasonals, but local nonetheless).

I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back! Cheers
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cratez wrote:If you don't have time for either of these options, you should at least grab some cans of Dead Elephant Ale and Iron Spike Blonde at the LCBO (not seasonals, but local nonetheless).
beer that is brewed and canned in guelph doesnt really make it local to London

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

matt7215 wrote: beer that is brewed and canned in guelph doesnt really make it local to London
I heard the beer is being canned at Wellington but I didn't know they're brewing it as well (though it's not inconceivable).

In any case, the Black Coal Stout is a local seasonal that's available at Brennan's and brewed 15 minutes south of London. Also, to the OP, The Black Shire Pub is one of the few bars I know of that carries Statford Common, which is a very solid take on the style and relatively hard to find. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Ottawa is Brasseurs du temps.

Let me know when you are in town. If you want to catch at lunch or something, I'd love to meet up.

One night, only can go to one place in Ottawa, it's BDT and there is nothing close to that right now.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It really depends what you're looking for... for shear variety, the Alibi room in Vancouver is the place to go. For Montreal, I'd say Vices & Versa... though there's some great brewpubs too.

Greg Nash is brewing at the new Rockbottom in Halifax. Is he still at the Hart & Thistle Gastropub as well? I'm hoping to check those out in the summer.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to the 'inner-city' in London before. ;D But yeah, Gambrinus is a must... though I use to enjoy the Sunday roast beef & cask ale at the King Edward. If you're on campus (University Hospital), the Grad Club has some good taps... though the King Edward really isn't too far out of town from there.

The Hamilton Grad Club is quite good too... (I use to spend a lot of time at the Grad Clubs). Probably not a destination, but if you're trying to picture life there, it might be something to check out. I use to live on the corner of Main & Hess... Hamilton housing operates a place there for students. Heck of a deal, and half way between Henderson hospital & campus.

For Toronto, Volo gets my vote... but they don't lunches. C'est What? probably has the largest tap selection and decent pub grub, but some will say the service and atmosphere are less than desirable.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote: If you're on campus (University Hospital), the Grad Club has some good taps
It's the best option on campus, but I would advise against The Grad Club to avoid severe disappointment (especially coming off the heels of T.O. & Hamilton). The Shire has twice the number of craft taps, offers micro instead of macro bottles, and can be accessed by a $6 cab ride from Western. Five years ago TGC was probably one of the better options in the city; nowadays it's the most pedestrian of all the local beer spots.

Of course, none of this really matters much since the OP will likely only have time for Gambrinus. :lol:

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Ottawa - Pub italia (the food can be hit or miss though) but I usually take a cab into Gatineau and hit Brasseur Du Temps. I usually start at BDT and either end up at Italia or my hotel room. Keep your eye on BDT's guest tap.

Montreal - I usually do a triangle route between DDC, Vices et Versa and Le Cheval Blanc. Of course, I've ended up spending the entire night at both Vices and DDC. Brou Ha Ha is my #4 choice if the first two are full and #3 doesn't have anything interesting on tap.

London - I like the King Edward, though it is out of the way. I could spend hours in Gambrinus - probably the friendliest staff at any bar i've been in in Canada.

Hamilton - Winking Judge, though if the bartender's friends are in there expect him to try and get a laugh at your expense.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

The Winking Judge and The Ship are your best bet for Hamilton. They're located immediately next to each other on Augusta near James. The Judge has a great tap selection but mediocre food for the most part. The Ship has a pretty good tap selection and a great menu. Maybe if you're lucky the Ship will finally get their brewpub aspect going by the time you visit. They've had the license for a while but I guess there's been technical delays. I do know their first beer is an Oatmeal Stout.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Ten replies in and no one has mentioned Dieu Du Ciel :o
It is the beer destination in Montreal for me.

In Ottawa, the Black Tomato has a good selection of Ontario beer.

I will be heading to Halifax on Friday. My first stop is always the Hart and Thistle. Nash brews fantastic stuff (he is still there). I haven't been to the Rockbottom yet but with Nash brewing it now has great beer.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Calgary - Wild Rose was enjoyable, bit "rustic" but decent.

Halifax - Wherever Greg Nash is. Hart & Thistle, haven't been but heard great things. Rogue's Roost is pretty solid and where I spent a lot of time while at Dalhousie.

Ottawa - Brasseurs du Temp, Clocktower has improved but I'd still skip it unless you are 'ticking', though they do do decent pubgrub.

Montreal - DDC should be your first choice. Vices Versa, Cheval Blanc, and benelux are all decent but its a hands down, choose DDC first kind of situation

Toronto - Volo, Either C'est What or Beer bistro depending on if you want Ontario brews or imports. Food is great at all three, higher end at beer bistro (pulled pork alone is worth a stop here)

London - Gambrinus. I am not sure there is another reason to go to London actually. ;)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

cratez wrote:
It's the best option on campus, but I would advise against The Grad Club to avoid severe disappointment (especially coming off the heels of T.O. & Hamilton). The Shire has twice the number of craft taps, offers micro instead of macro bottles, and can be accessed by a $6 cab ride from Western. Five years ago TGC was probably one of the better options in the city; nowadays it's the most pedestrian of all the local beer spots.

Of course, none of this really matters much since the OP will likely only have time for Gambrinus. :lol:
I hear what you're saying, but I know when I was a student I was at the GC at least a few times a week (more when the patio was open in the summer), whereas I only went elsewhere maybe a couple times a month. I always seemed to know someone there... and the weekly Curry-in-a-hurry lunch was great. Besides, a couple cab rides could cost you an hours time (and a couple pints of beer)!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote: I hear what you're saying, but I know when I was a student I was at the GC at least a few times a week (more when the patio was open in the summer), whereas I only went elsewhere maybe a couple times a month. I always seemed to know someone there... and the weekly Curry-in-a-hurry lunch was great.
We'll have to agree to disagree as I can only see a trip to TGC resulting in major disappointment. Their best tap is Welly County Ale (available in Anywhere Ontario) and the most exciting bottle is Pilsner Urquell.

Beyond that, if boney made the unfortunate decision of visiting The Grad Club over Gambrinus (one of the best beer bars in the province), or sampling the local micro taps at Brennan's (Railway City) and The Shire (Statford), he would be left with an inaccurate and underwhelming impression of the city's beer scene. I hate to be so insistent but I just don't see any need in guiding the OP toward a mediocre experience.

With respect to the cabs, I frequent the bars 2-3 times weekly and find that they usually arrive within minutes. If and when they don't, flagging one outside of Gambrinus or The Shire is easy. $12-15 round trip and 10-15 minutes of your time is well worth the investment for great beer.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I agree that Gambrinus is probably THE ONE must.

[Note: I've only been there once, as I haven't lived in London for over 5 years. I don't claim to be an expert, London has improved a lot since then. The Black Shire wasn't much when I was there, I've never been to Brennan's... and is the 'new' Keaton still around?]

If the GC was out of the way (ie. if the interview was at one of the other hospitals), I definitely wouldn't suggest it... but I'd say it's worth checking out if you're on campus.

I seek out the elusive craft brews like many geeks... but I also drank A LOT of County, Creemore & Neustadt over the years with friends, colleagues & team mates at the GC. It's not everyone's scene, but I enjoyed it when I was there!