Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Nova Scotia

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Thanks rejtable. I just got back, as a matter of fact. My overall impression is that there has been an explosion of new craft breweries (not to mention distilleries) in Nova Scotia! Made it to a couple of new places (for me), notably Two Crows, which is putting out quite excellent beer and might be my favourite Halifax brewery (though there is something odd about a brewery on the ground floor of a high-rise condominium, isn't there? I felt this way about Benelux in Montreal, too, back in the day). Also got to Nova Scotia Distillers (J.D. Shore rum) which is highly recommended if you are a rum fan, even a little bit.

Apart from that, couldn't resist the allure of a couple of visits to Stillwell. It is so good, especially during off-hours when it is not rammed. Among the many things I like about it is its commitment to serving cask ale properly without the obnoxious swan neck and sparkler, which is increasingly rare even in Toronto. And the attention to detail extends to the bottle list, the staff, etc. Has to be one of the top beer bars in Canada.

Also had a nice lunch at Wooden Monkey which offers a surprisingly sturdy rotating ten-tap list. Great vibe there, too. I did not make it out to fu#king Unfiltered this time but I have been in the recent fu#king past, thanks very fu#king much (and I enjoyed one of their brews, anyway, in the far more refined surroundings of Stillwell). My biggest to-do remains getting over to Dartmouth and Battery Park. Maybe someday when the weather is a bit warmer!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Awesome report!

Yeah, 2 crows location is a bit odd, but they've done a good job with the tasting room overall. Plus it's literally next door to my office when I manage to get out east (which hasn't been nearly often enough lately!!), so I'm not complaining.

I really don't like the space at unfiltered. I don't find the f#$# schtick that Greg and his co-owner have going on to be all that charming. But the beer is good generally, so it's worth it I guess.

Yes, for sure Stillwell has to be on the short list of best bars in Canada. The only downside is sometimes the list is a bit weak if the local releases have been less than stellar. But overall they have fun beers to try, yes great cask and their events are frequent and outstanding.

Oh, one spot I always forget about but I try and make a point in going is Henry House (Granite). Yeah, beer list is pretty stale, but I still love sitting in the basement having either a bitter or a peculiar.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

You're an Axe Throwing executive then? :D

https://www.halimac.com/

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

RIP Tom's. :cry:

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

A quick update from Bartowel's newest East Coast correspondent. :-)

If you like Stillwell, you need to check out their 2nd bar in the North End (The Stillwell Freehouse, on Agricola). It's got a really nice retro pub feel inside, with plenty of booths and other nooks and crannies to settle in for an afternoon.

On tap they have 6 (!) casks which is fantastic. The other dozen or so taps have a heavy emphasis on classic styles (pilsners, lagers, and bitters). Don't worry, if you want a hazy IPA or an imperial stout, the OG Stillwell on Barrington is still going strong.

If you're looking to string together a North End beer crawl, I would do:

1. Start at Good Robot (on Robie). The patio/turf garden is fantastic on a sunny day.
2. Walk down to Unfiltered / Charm School (on North).
3. Wander over to Stillwell Freehouse for a few.
4. Quick hits going southbound on Gottingen: Tusket Falls Beer Project, HopYard, then finish at Propeller Arcade.
5. Finish at 2 Crows.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Welcome back screw2000! Nice to see a few of the gang return to the forum!

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to checking out Halifax again, hopefully soon!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Hey, Screw2000, great to hear you will be reporting from Halifax and environs.

I was last out in April 2022. Stayed at the Atlantica Hotel, which has remodelled their bar and revamped their draught list, not for the better unfortunately.

I went to Stillwell Public House for the undeniably good cask selection, but I found it a bit uncomfortable, honestly, in the small, crowded bar area as a single. Lots of nice nooks and crannies for groups though, as you say.

I was told by a couple of beer people, though, that the new place to go is The Narrows, on Gottingen. Unfortunately, it had only just soft-opened and I did not get a chance to visit. Any report on it? Looks a bit like the Addams Family's abode from the outside!

On my final day, I finally made it over to Dartmouth and to Battery Park Beer Bar. Loved this place. What a hidden gem! Twenty taps (all interesting), and one cask. Great staff, great visit.

Lastly, I was pleased to see there is, at last, a decent place for a beer behind security at YHZ. I believe it is a "Firkin" but if so it had a much better beer selection than one would find in that chain in Ontario. Had a Propeller Galaxy NEIPA, and could also have chosen a Breton IPA or Nine Locks Lager. Better than the usual Molson's cr#p!

p.s. not beer, but I also highly recommend LF French Bakery on Gottingen for bread, pastries, coffee. Just excellent. Arrive early, they say.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Is anybody else reading this and feeling like we're either scared to find out what bars still exist or we are grieving? I mean, we know there was COVID attrition and commercial rents (or any real estate) has destroyed so many great places in our own communities but also elsewhere. I guess shit happens. What seems to make it more difficult is not having been travelling, or even out and about that much for a few years. Just thinking about favourite haunts brings up the dread that they might just be gone.

I don't get to Halifax much, but it's nice to have this correspondence share a view on the ground. There are places I found there that I enjoyed but can't eve remember the names of and I guess I can assume are not there any more. Leaves a kind of empty feeling.

No slight on the east coast, but I have heard some real treasures in Vancouver have folded. I know Railway club became a corp pub well before this mess but I still miss it. Central city closing down Beatty St. is a real loss, but I always wondered how that made money anyway.

Here I am being sentimental. Wow. Chalk it up to only two drinks a week, I guess
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:51 pm Is anybody else reading this and feeling like we're either scared to find out what bars still exist or we are grieving?
It's funny you should mention this. Every so often I'll look at my Google Maps starred places, especially if I'm going back somewhere I've been before. Inevitably a few come up as "Permanently Closed" and it's always a bit sad.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I agree with the general sentiment but I'm not sure it really applies to Halifax. A vibrant and expanding beer scene that was largely untouched by COVID, certainly compared to Toronto and most of the rest of the country. Lots happening in that Agricola - Gottingen area of the city just to the north of downtown. That's my impression, anyway.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:51 pm Is anybody else reading this and feeling like we're either scared to find out what bars still exist or we are grieving? I mean, we know there was COVID attrition and commercial rents (or any real estate) has destroyed so many great places in our own communities but also elsewhere. I guess shit happens. What seems to make it more difficult is not having been travelling, or even out and about that much for a few years. Just thinking about favourite haunts brings up the dread that they might just be gone.
This is how I feel about the Only Cafe, especially everytime sale rumours come up periodically. I finally made it out there after far too much time this past summer and it was great to be back, but the patio was nearly empty on a Saturday night.

Happy to hear things are thriving in Halifax though, perhaps helped by the fact it wasn't as saturated with breweries and beer bars, so still had room to grow? Toronto is pretty saturated now by comparison. It's been 7 1/2 years since I was in N.S., lots has obviously changed. My sister goes to Dalhousie though, so I've been able to try a few beers she's brought back. I've especially liked what I've had from Unfiltered.