Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ann Arbor, Michigan

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Ann Arbor, Michigan

Post by cratez »

Heading here in two weeks with nicktbm and our better halves. Looks like Ashely's, Jolly Pumpkin, Arbor Brewing, The Heidelberg, and Liberty Street (Plymouth) are the best bars and brewpubs but I have some questions for Towelers who have been to Ann Arbor in the last few years:

Are there any spots that you would suggest over the ones listed above?

Any particular times that are best to visit some of these places i.e. to avoid lineups, get a seat at the bar, be served food, etc?

Daytime tourist attractions - which ones would you recommend?

Any bars/brewpubs/stores that we should avoid?

As always, your help is appreciated. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

I went during the week (Mon-Wed, first night Ann Arbor, 2nd Detroit), and I assume the weekend would be quite different, but here goes. We only went to Jolly Pumpkin and Ashley's. Both places were good. JP we went to around 4-5pm, it wasn't busy, but we decided to sit at the bar.

Ashley's was after that at around 7-8, it was quite busy, packed with Michigan students, but there were still seats available. When I went I was still kinda new to US craft so it was a bit overwhelming.

I'm not sure if its still the same, but after a certain time, cab's are a flat rate of $5/person, only catch is that the cabbie can pick up as many people they want/can fit.

The Whole Foods had some good bottles at fair prices, I bought a Jolly Pumpkin bottle that was out of stock at the brewpub at a lower price.

Not too far before Ann Arbor is Ypsilanti, Sidetrack Bar & Grill has great burgers. It's a mix of macro and craft, all Michigan except Eddie Fitz. They had a pretty good Happy Hour deal when we were there, I believe it was a 25oz draught for about $3, think I had Founders Red Rye.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JP was busy around dinner, but we got a "hightop" table upstairs with no wait on a Friday night. Eat here. Food was kickass. Fewer sours on tap than I had hoped but lots of good ones, and we bought a bunch of bottles to go. Prices were actually higher than at the bottle shop we hit later, but had some they shop didn't have.

At Ashley's we had a long wait for a table upstairs. There is frankly no point in sitting in the basement, they have a fraction of the beers down there and its a bit of a hole. RAMMED with students on the weekend.

The beer at Arbor brewing was disappointing but its worth a quick visit if you haven't been.

Cabs are cheap but can be hard to come by, we got one into town no problem, but the one Ashley's called for us (or at least said they did) never showed, and we finally hailed a sketchy friggin cab. I should have just paid the roaming fees and used me cell phone to call!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I appreciate the comments fellas. Based on your recos and the advice that I received on BA, it looks like we'll be hitting Jolly Pumpkin, Ashley's, and Grizzly Peak on Friday/Saturday and Liberty Street on the way home. Wine Seller and Main Street Party Shoppe have been suggested by some locals as the best bottle shops. We also wanna check out Zingerman's Deli and Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger at some point but I'm trying to figure out if and when we can fit either place in. Given the lack of tourist attractions (Michigan U campus was mentioned as one!), it sounds as though Ann Arbor is even more of a "student town" than I previously thought, so we'll likely stick to the food, beer, and shopping gig. Thanks again for your help.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Just wondering how this trip turned out cratez? My fiance and myself are thinking of making the trip. At night we plan on hitting the brewpubs and bars, but is there enough things to do during the day to keep my better half amused?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

phat matt wrote: Just wondering how this trip turned out cratez? My fiance and myself are thinking of making the trip. At night we plan on hitting the brewpubs and bars, but is there enough things to do during the day to keep my better half amused?
We're here right now. Went to Arbor Brewing Co. last night and Ashley's for lunch today. The lady did some shopping at Briarwood Mall and then we wandered downtown for abit after the pub. I would say there's more than enough to do; the core is very beatiful with lots of historic buildings, all sorts of quirky shops, and the massive U of M campus. The locals are super friendly, just keep in mind that it's a young student town. Hitting up Jolly Pumpkin tonight, Grizzy Peak tomorrow, and some bottle shops later in the day. It's a great college town and well worth the trek if you ask me.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Last time I was there it was littered with signs saying 'Impeach Bush'. Surprisingly left wing... but yeah, a quaint little student town. Some of the 'Party stores' actually had decent stuff as well.

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Nice now we are both looking forward to going. any suggestions on hotels? thanks for the help

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

We stayed at Weber's Inn last time. Just a bit outside of downtown. Not cheap but not outrageous either.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

phat matt wrote: Nice now we are both looking forward to going. Any suggestions on hotels? Thanks for the help
We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Plymouth - 8 minutes northeast of downtown - for $90 a night. Booked it through Hot Wire. There's a grocery store next door with a large supply of Hop Slam ($16 a sixer) and the hotel bar hosts a "Local Blues & Craft Brews" event every Saturday night. The taps aren't too crazy but they have Bell's, Arbor Brewing, Samuel Adams, and a couple others. Music is pretty good too.

aofe

Post by aofe »

Visited Ann Arbor on Saturday, these are my observations:

Grizzly Peak Brewing
- A little brewpub, not bad, but nothing special

Blue Tractor BBQ & Brewery
- Also a little brewpub, not bad, nothing special either

Jolly Pumpkin
- Quite busy, we sat upstairs. They make few different sours, all very good.

Ashleys
- Excellent selection of Michigan beers on tap. Quite a few one offs. Didn't order any bottles, but the list also seemed quite extensive.

World of Beer
- I've been to a couple of these in the US. First time going in the evening though. Bit too loud and rowdy for me. But, I went for the international beers, which they do have a good amount of bottles that we don't have here in Ontario.

Even with school out. Ann Arbor still seems fairly busy. Stayed at the Comfort Inn by the Interstate, it's about a $12 cab ride into downtown.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

I'm going to be in Ann Arbor for a night or two in a few weeks. Judging from previous posts, Jolly Pumpkin and Ashley's seem to be at the top of the list to grab a bite to eat and a few beers. Just wondering if there was any advice on the best bottle shops in the area.

mds

Post by mds »

It's not a beer place but for something to eat I would recommend Zingerman's. They make an incredible corned beef sandwich and it's only about a 15 minute walk from Ashley's and the other beer places.

aofe

Post by aofe »

Although not in Ann Arbor itself, I'd recommend stopping in at Merchant's Fine Wine in Dearborn. It's a well runned shop for Michigan beers and other American craft with a bit of International selection.

I also recommend Zingerman's. Although there are long lines there on the weekends, so plan ahead. We called ahead and ordered our sandwiches.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

Just back from Ann Arbor. Had a fun time at Ashley's and really enjoyed Jolly Pumpkin. Merchant's in Dearborn ended up being my preferred bottle shop. They had a good selection and way more choice for singles.