Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal for beer pickup

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BrausBackinTown

Montreal for beer pickup

Post by BrausBackinTown »

hi - I have a friend driving down to Montreal soon. Last time he did, we gave him a list of belgian goodies from the saq (Houblon Chouffe, Rochefort, etc). That was easy to do, because their stock is online. This time, though, I wouldn't mind having him go to a depanneur to pick up some of the best craft beer quebec has to offer. Other than the stuff we were able to get here (the unibroue stuff, trois mousquetaires, dieu du ciel), what should I have him keep his eye out for? what are the real jewels of quebec beer? I've heard that hopfenstark is good. any other ideas or comments would be appreciated!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

BrausBackinTown wrote:hi - I have a friend driving down to Montreal soon. Last time he did, we gave him a list of belgian goodies from the saq (Houblon Chouffe, Rochefort, etc). That was easy to do, because their stock is online. This time, though, I wouldn't mind having him go to a depanneur to pick up some of the best craft beer quebec has to offer. Other than the stuff we were able to get here (the unibroue stuff, trois mousquetaires, dieu du ciel), what should I have him keep his eye out for? what are the real jewels of quebec beer? I've heard that hopfenstark is good. any other ideas or comments would be appreciated!
Just about anything he can get from Trou du Diable, although they can be hard to find.

Charlevoix (Dominus and Vache folle series) as well if you haven't had any via the LCBO. Brasseurs du temps from Gatineau are making pretty good stuff.

chico

Post by chico »

Dépanneur Peluso just received some Dominus Vobiscum hiebernus and some Saison du tracteur from Le trou du diable :D and also you might get lucky also with some beers from Les Brasseurs du Temps of gatineau, if not, a dépanneur on fleury street has beers from BDT

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

I know you said don't mention Unibroue. But one that hasn't been in the LCBO (to my knowledge, at least in the last 3-4 years). Unibroue Terrible is amazing and if you can get a bottle or to I highly recommend it.

notdan

Post by notdan »

Some favourites that haven't been mentioned yet...

Brasseurs Illimités - Imperial Stout
Microbrasserie de l'ile d'Orleans - any
À l'abri de la tempete - Corne de Brume
Brasserie Dunham - IPA Belge

Also, pretty much any Trois Mousquetaires, Charlevoix, or DDC beer that Ontario doesn't have.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Dominus Vobiscum Hibernus de la Microbrasserie Charlevoix, Saison du Tracteur du Trou du Diable, Déesse 7 Let it bee et Le Cap Rouge de Brasseurs du Hameau. Passez nous voir au 2500 Rachel Est (coin Iberville).
New Arrivals at Peluso. Grab those Trou du Diable while you can!

BrausBackinTown

thanks for all the replies and suggestions! i had him bring back some terrible last time, and it WAS delicious. now if he could just hunt down some quelque chose for me... he also mentioned last time he was in a grocery store there and he saw a bunch of biere de gardes (not jenlain). to my knowledge, for it to be in a depanneur, it wouldn't be from overseas. do anybody know what that could have been about? do any quebec microbrewers make a biere de garde? I like the style very much... (also possible he doesn't know what he's talking about)

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I've definitely bought the St Sylvestre 3 monts Bière de garde at a beer shop in Gatineau, Brouehaha. I assume the big guys in Montréal like Peluso also have access to it.

BrausBackinTown

rejtable wrote:I've definitely bought the St Sylvestre 3 monts Bière de garde at a beer shop in Gatineau, Brouehaha. I assume the big guys in Montréal like Peluso also have access to it.
and is it delicious?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

BrausBackinTown wrote:
rejtable wrote:I've definitely bought the St Sylvestre 3 monts Bière de garde at a beer shop in Gatineau, Brouehaha. I assume the big guys in Montréal like Peluso also have access to it.
and is it delicious?
I think it's the only Bière de garde I've ever tried, so hard to compare to others. As a stand-alone beer (nevermind style), I liked it, but wasn't blown away.

Maybe put another way... I'd drink it again with pleasure if presented with it, but wouldn't go far out of my way to re-acquire it.

BrausBackinTown

cool - thanks! I think that's it, just showed him the label from BA. I like the style, and the BA brothers call it word class, so I think I'll have to stock up.