Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa and area help

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I think that top three for pure beer experience is unquestionable. I wouldn't consider Pub Italia in my top 10 places to actually spend real time, but if all I wanted to do was drink beer there is nothing close to those three, I don't think.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Arrow and Loon always has a great selection of Ontario Craft.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Sure, but aside from casks, not much that Italia wouldn't have is there? And when you add in the Euro variety, Delirium and a few other nuggets, and bottles, Italia wins hands down for beer doesn't it?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

For overall selection, Italia wins. For strictly Ontario Crarft beer, A&L is better.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

For Craft beer, I prefer Black Tomato, plus it has great food and is in the Byward Market. The loon for me is not worth the drive (sorry loon), our first Ottawa tasting there was dismal. All I drank were St-ambroise noire, which they have on nitro at the Tomater.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I'm a big fan of crossing the bridge and going to L'Autre Oeil

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

sprague11 wrote:I'm a big fan of crossing the bridge and going to L'Autre Oeil
+11

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

The Wellington Gastropub has some nice ontario craft beers on tap as well.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

codfishh wrote:The Wellington Gastropub has some nice ontario craft beers on tap as well.
I agree. We were there on Friday and half the tap list was stuff I had not had before. Stuff like Aston Brewery's Extravaganza IPA, Beaus' Mango Saison, Beaus' Farm Table, Hogsback Kilty Bastard, and Wellington's Imperial Stout on cask.

Plus, you know you are always going to get a great meal.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

+1 on the gastropub. Just within the past couple of weeks their tap lists have blown me away (for Ottawa).

Not mentioned, but definitely worth a go: Smoque Shack
http://www.smoqueshack.com/

BBQ is top notch and they have good local taps. They also have insanely cheap specials that I manage to stumble on every now and then and that I still haven't really figured out. Last time I was there I had a PINT of Chaudiere for $4!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Gastropub list is great, no doubt, but man, it's hard to eat a meal for two there for less than $100.

Has anyone been there at night for just a pint? I've always been for dinner, and the little bar strip just seems an awkward place to enjoy a pint while people are eating their $35 scallops.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

rejtable wrote:Gastropub list is great, no doubt, but man, it's hard to eat a meal for two there for less than $100.

Has anyone been there at night for just a pint? I've always been for dinner, and the little bar strip just seems an awkward place to enjoy a pint while people are eating their $35 scallops.
You're absolutely right. When I say that their tap lists have been blowing me away, I mean "as seen on twitter". Doesn't give off the neighbourhood pub vibe. Maybe someday I'll stop in on a weekday when I expect there might be a place to sit without feeling like I'm taking away from a $200 cover.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Just a note that I was at The Manx last night. Still my favourite pub experience in the area, but I was quite surprised by how much better the tap list was than even the last time I was there (maybe 6-8 months ago). All the usual taps were there, but they had at least 6-7 seasonal/rotating taps, including Kichessipi Wuchak Black, Beyond the Pale Rye Guy (Pink Fuzz in bottles), Beau's Strong Patrick, Muskoka Oddity (they've long had a Muskoka rotating tap), Spearhead Morrocan, and maybe one or two I'm forgetting.

A few places around town may have one or two more exciting beers on tap at any given time, and still no casks, but man oh man to just combine a great pub atmosphere, solid food and lots of tasty beer, there can't be many better experiences around town.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

sprague11 wrote:I'm a big fan of crossing the bridge and going to L'Autre Oeil
Finally made it out there last month. Opted for some taps after staring at the bottle menu for 20 minutes. Great place, though, and very reasonable bottle prices as far as I could tell.

Also bit OT, anyone know if Broue Ha Ha still has the BA Peche and Solstice or did that not make it through yesterday? I'm calling, but they'd not answering...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Visited Ottawa about 10 times last summer/fall and found myself at Brothers Beer Bistro mostly. Also hit up SmoqueShack or however you spell it. Need to get to Manx and L'Autre Oeil still....

What is the Manx like in terms of food and larger groups? Might have 8-10 people with me on my next visit into Ottawa. I want good beer, they want cheap food...