Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa and area help

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Ceecee wrote:I was there last week and it looked like they were burning off stock. Twitter and FB silence for a few weeks too. This doesn't look good...
Did you at least get some good deals if they were burning off stock?

lplex

Post by lplex »

Kekumba wrote:Anyone know what happened to Bieres du Monde? I went over today and they were all closed up with a notice sign on the door. I can't read French, but it certainly wasn't a "sorry, we're closed today" type of notice.
It's a notice of bankruptcy... :(

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Ouch. What's going to happen to all that sweet, sweet Yakima sitting behind the doors. :(

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

BlackRedGold wrote:
Ceecee wrote:I was there last week and it looked like they were burning off stock. Twitter and FB silence for a few weeks too. This doesn't look good...
Did you at least get some good deals if they were burning off stock?
No real deals but the cupboards were bare. Nothing new added since the last TDD release. I'm glad I had already used my gift card. I, too, still have a 20% off coupon.
Last edited by Ceecee on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

lplex wrote:
Kekumba wrote:Anyone know what happened to Bieres du Monde? I went over today and they were all closed up with a notice sign on the door. I can't read French, but it certainly wasn't a "sorry, we're closed today" type of notice.
It's a notice of bankruptcy... :(
Well, shit. That's too bad. I was really looking forward to spending wife-angering amounts of money at the Eddy store.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Has anybody been to the Rochester lately? Still worth a stop in?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Ceecee wrote:Has anybody been to the Rochester lately? Still worth a stop in?
Lately... not really. Was there around Xmas maybe. My first time, but I'm guessing it hadn't changed that much in awhile. Was fine. Tap list was pretty straightforward. Nothing terrible that I remember, but nothing too exciting.

I liked the place, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

rejtable wrote:
Ceecee wrote:Has anybody been to the Rochester lately? Still worth a stop in?
Lately... not really. Was there around Xmas maybe. My first time, but I'm guessing it hadn't changed that much in awhile. Was fine. Tap list was pretty straightforward. Nothing terrible that I remember, but nothing too exciting.

I liked the place, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go.
Funny you should say that. It's literally on my way home and today I feel more like ON craft than the Euro stuff they have at Italia. That being said, haven't been to the Rochester in more than a year.

Can't wait until September when the Bridgehead on Preston starts serving BtP and Beau's.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Anybody catch Italia's tweet today?
Pub Italia @pubitalia · 6h
Pub Italia invented the beer bible 20 years ago. These new beer bars around town calling their beer menu the beer bible. Way to be original
GET OFF MY LAWN

I'm glad they care about beer and all, but is their "beer bible" all that impressive anymore? Maybe it was 20 years ago. Last time I was there I looked quickly and didn't see anything that a reasonably diligent beer follower in Ontario couldn't have acquired themselves.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

rejtable wrote:Anybody catch Italia's tweet today?
Pub Italia @pubitalia · 6h
Pub Italia invented the beer bible 20 years ago. These new beer bars around town calling their beer menu the beer bible. Way to be original
GET OFF MY LAWN

I'm glad they care about beer and all, but is their "beer bible" all that impressive anymore? Maybe it was 20 years ago. Last time I was there I looked quickly and didn't see anything that a reasonably diligent beer follower in Ontario couldn't have acquired themselves.
I was curious so I looked and you are absolutely right. Almost all of their list is fairly easily available stuff. Plus with a bottle list that huge how fresh are some of those beers? I mean at 6.75 a bottle are they moving a lot of Brooklyn Lager or Anchor Steam or Tree Hop Head?

Plus there beer menu is not so accurate. There are now 10 official Trappist monasteries making beer, not 7. And they say they have beer from the 5 still available on private order. But I can buy La Trappe Triple at the LCBO so why isn't that on the menu?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I really wish Pub Italia would venture beyond what is on the shelves at the LCBO and into private orders.

Their "Beer Bible" has not evolved at all in the 20 years in question.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

... and where's all the italian craft breweries?? Fuck's sakes!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

cfrancis wrote:I really wish Pub Italia would venture beyond what is on the shelves at the LCBO and into private orders.

Their "Beer Bible" has not evolved at all in the 20 years in question.
Not to mention, can you really brag about how many beers your "beer bible" has on it when it includes things like James Ready Light and Mickey's Malt Liquor? What they couldn't get some 40's of Olde English 800 to make it even bigger?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Yeah I was there for a bachelor party a few months ago and struggled to find anything on the menu I wanted to drink. Think I ended up with a bloody Erdinger or something like that.

They deserve props for being one of the first spots in Ottawa, but evolve or die.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Was in for my first visit to the Cheshire Cat since they reopened. The main floor area is virtually unchanged in terms of decor to my untrained eye. Did they have that patio before? I was only ever there in the winter. Anyway, patio is a beauty. Didn't go upstairs. Place looks great, and that discussion about best beer places in Ottawa... Cat has to be in that discussion as well.

That said, the prices!!! My wife and two kids with just two beer for lunch and the bill before tip was over $100. LUNCH. And one of my kids ate off the kids menu. My wife had fish and chips (two pieces)... $18. They were good, but that's insane for a pub.

I've always said I'd die to have that as my local, but man with those prices I'm sure as hell glad it isn't. I can't got to a pub with my kids anymore and come out with less than $70 before tip, but rarely do I go much over $80. The Cat is great, but I won't be going back very often for that kind of price difference compared to reasonably comparable spots.