Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Adirondacks, New York

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Adirondacks, New York

Post by Bytowner »

As far as I can see we don't have a thread on North-East New York outside of Ogdensburg and Potsdam, so voila.

Drove down to Lake Placid on the way through to Vermont.

Lunch at Lake Placid Pub and Brewery. Thoroughly mediocre lineup. One exception is the Patriot Pale, which was pretty on-target. Cheap though, $8 for a beer and pint glass to take home. Had a sampler of 6 for $8 (I think).

Dinner at Liquids and Solids, THE beer destination at Lake Placid as far as I can tell. A good 5 pages of regularly updated offerings, 5 beers on draught (all quality, including Saison Dupont). Beer menu covers ST, SN, Brooklyn, Ommegang, Green Flash, Lagunitas, DFH, Stone, Oskar, and assorted well-chosen imports. Prices range from $4 for bottles of local regular offerings (Doggie Style, Porkslap, Dales) to over $20 for large seasonals and imports (Saison Rue, Vertical).

Really interesting food menu, moving from sides to small plates to large plates. Wife and I ordered spicy pickles ($1), beet and orange salad ($3), tomato/basil poutine ($6), and bean soup ($5), and left well fed.

Adirondack Steak and Seafood is another brewpubs, didn't sample but gather it's quite similar to Lake Placid.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Thanks for this. I had no idea Liquids and Solids even existed. Good to know.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Me either!
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

My pleasure. They have their menu and beer list on their website, not sure how up tp date they keep it.

http://liquidsandsolids.com/menus.html

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, I was there last year and had no idea about this spot. Don't think we went anywhere except the two brewpubs.

Thanks for the info!

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

We were planning to head down to the Salmon Run Mall in Watertown and upon checking their website I noticed that a brewpub will be opening in the mall this fall. It will be run by the people who own The Hops Spot in Sackets Harbor. The draught and bottle lists for the Hops Spot look pretty good. Has anybody been there?

http://thehopsspot.com/

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

According to their FB page, the Blackbird Café in Canton has Heady Topper.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Ceecee wrote:According to their FB page, the Blackbird Café in Canton has Heady Topper.
The owners of Blackbird Cafe are also setting up their own brewery:
http://www.stlawrencebrewing.com/
Lots of pics if you follow the FB link at the top of the page.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

If you're going through Watertown, Bearworld has a pretty decent selection.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Heading into the adrinodacks this weekend, crossing in Ogdensburg. Is the Potsdam IGA still my best option for beer?

http://www.igapotsdam.com/potsdamiga/craftbeer.jsp

Update: Bessettes wasn't worth the trip, similar selection to grocery stores.

The Potsdam IGA had some goodies, but many were 4-6 months old.

The Price Chopper in Malone had a similar selection to Bessettes, but everything was fresher.