Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Columbus, OH

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Columbus, OH

Post by cratez »

Kinguy had some good advice 5 1/2 years ago, but I'm wondering if anyone's been to Columbus since then and, if so, which spots you would recommend. Your help is much appreciated. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Oh, I want to know, too!!

Headed there at the end of February for the weekend. Have heard rumours of good things but need to do more research.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Peter Collins wrote: Oh, I want to know, too!!

Headed there at the end of February for the weekend. Have heard rumours of good things but need to do more research.
Hey Peter - I posted my game plan for the weekend on Beer Advocate and so far the only suggestions I've received are for additional bottle shops and local beers to seek out. So I'm guessing my bar choices are solid.
Last edited by cratez on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Jungle Jim opened. Store in Columbus last year... If its anything like the one in Cincinnati, it should be godly.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

iguenard wrote: Jungle Jim's opened a store in Columbus last year...If it's anything like the one in Cincinnati, it should be godly.
Really? I only see Fairfield and Cincinnati listed on their website, and a search for "Jungle Jim's Columbus" turns up nothing.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Just saw a similar thread on HBT with this response from bad67z:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/beer-mu ... us-383292/

We have plenty of craft breweries in the Columbus area. Also a meadery and distillery.

Elevator Brewing Down Town Arena District/on High St.

Barley's Brewing Company Down Town Arena District/on High St.

Columbus Brewing Compamy Down Town South (German Village/Brewery District)

Four Strings Brewing Down Town West OSU campus area

Zauber Brewing Down Town

Weasel Boy Brewing East of Columbus 35 Miles

Buckeye Lake Brewing East of Columbus 20 Miles

Gordon Biersch Down Town Arena District/off High St.

Brothers Drake Meadery Down Town Arena District/off High St.

Watershed Distillery Down Town Arena District/off High St.

You can park and walk to Elevator, Barley's, Gordon Beirsch, Brothers Drake and Watershead.

If your looking for tap selection.

Bob's Bar
36 craft taps and quite a few bottles. Down Town N. High St.

Bodega Down Town N. High St.
50 craft taps and 100 bottles

World of Beers Down Town South (German Village/Brewery District)
40 or so taps and over 100 bottles

Your Daily Growler
2812 Fishinger Road, Upper Arlington, Ohio 43221
(614) 656-2337
Mon - Thu: 3:00 pm - 10:00 pm
60 taps West Side

The Pint Room
100 taps Dublin NW Columbus

If your looking for visiting the most places I would park around the North Market, and walk to as many of the downtown ones you can.

If your looking for big selection I would hit World of Beers or venture out to the west side and hit The Daily Growler and/or The Pint Room

I travel 6 state and as for Cleveland where I spend a lot of time. It has a craft brew seen better than many. But in the last year I believe that Columbus has taken over the lead. I hope this helped, if you have any questions you can PM me, I'll help if I can.