Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hamilton

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

toweringpine

Hamilton

Post by toweringpine »

Hey Hamilton 'Towlers, I am going to be seeing The Who at Copps in February, and will be chaperoning my 15 year old nephew. Are there any good beer bars within walking distance to Copps that would be OK to take a minor too before the show?

Really, I gotta question why they selected me as the chaperone but as a long time Who fan I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

There is nothing right beside Copps, but if you're willing to walk a few blocks, I have 3 to suggest.

1) The Brain, 199 James St N. - 5 Taps, all rotating, with a very good bottle menu. It's a funky place with mix-matched furniture, board games, etc. A hipster hole-in-the-wall, if you will. Probably the least kid friendly of the 3, but the one with the best beer selection.

2) Homegrown Hamilton, 27 King William St. - 6 Taps (usually 2 Mill St, 2 Grand River, 1 Wellington, 1 Stone Hammer). This is a funky co-op coffee shop who roast their own coffee. It's the only place to get Grand River's Coffee beer, as it uses Homegrown's coffee. Definitely the most kid friendly of the 3 suggestions as it's a coffee bar first and foremost.

3) Baltimore House, 43 King William St. - 4 Taps (3 Amsterdam (Boneshaker!), 1 Steam Whistle), small but decent bottle selection. This is a combo of the other two places: mix-matched furniture, board games, coffee shop bar, funky without being a hipster dive-bar.

The Winking Judge & The Ship, both on Augusta Street, are the best places in city for craft beer, and they're within walking distance, if you want to walk 20+ min. However neither allow kids, so I only share this information so you know to avoid due to your circumstances.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

The Winking Judge & The Ship, both on Augusta Street, are the best places in city for craft beer, and they're within walking distance, if you want to walk 20+ min. However neither allow kids, so I only share this information so you know to avoid due to your circumstances.
They don't allow kids at all? I don't think I've ever seen a pub in ON not allow kids in at all. Is this common??

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I'd probably say Homegrown is your best bet simply because fo the coffee house angle. It's the only one I can definitely say that I've seen kids of any age in. Although I have to admit that I've never been in Baltimore House, so I can't comment on it. I've often walked by but never knew they had some craft on tap. Good to know.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

rejtable wrote:
They don't allow kids at all? I don't think I've ever seen a pub in ON not allow kids in at all. Is this common??
Yeah, I could be wrong... I was thinking of the sign on the outside of the Judge, but it says no one under 21 on Friday & Saturday's, I think. Nonetheless, neither are really kid friendly even if kids are allowed.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Hmm, other than the owner 's elemenatary school aged daughter who is there every afternoon doing homework on her computer. And my expanding group of friends who bring in their infants & toddlers to say 'Hi' to the community; and the others who bring in their dogs... No it's simply not welcoming to anyone other than serious drinkers.

I just wish the tap list was a bit more hoppy recently!

But yes, if you come in after dark it's probably not a great environment for children, or me either for that matter ha ha. I usually only go to the judge after work and before the big party hours.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I've taken my teenage kids to the Judge

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Streets wrote:Hmm, other than the owner 's elemenatary school aged daughter who is there every afternoon doing homework on her computer. And my expanding group of friends who bring in their infants & toddlers to say 'Hi' to the community; and the others who bring in their dogs... No it's simply not welcoming to anyone other than serious drinkers.
Sorry for trying to be helpful and give my opinion... You're sarcasm is much more useful to the discussion.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just to jump in - it's probably like a lot of other places - C'est What, for example - no one under 21 unless accompanied by an adult. And C'est What's a pretty welcoming place for kids and babies.

The only time I've ever seen a restaurant/pub blatantly say kids are unwelcome is at a otherwise decent pub that I won't name that's just west of the Ceili on Queen.

A few weeks after they opened the put a pissy little sign on the door about how it was a "adult space". Fine with me, but I haven't gone back since.

There are beer bars where I won't necessarily take my kids - increasingly volo - not a criticism, they're just changing the style of the place and it's not necessarily the best "fit" for kids any more.

And there are certainly times when I won't take them to bars, of course. But the funny thing about the above mentioned pub is that it's actually a rather largish cozy place with decent food that actually would be perfect for families.

Like I say, a business can say what they want with who's welcome and not, and best of luck to them, but I won't be there.

My kids dig the mac and cheese and kettle chips and the Ceili, anyway! :)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

KW1

Post by KW1 »

Let's try to give some respect to all options, this includes places that are adult-oriented. A variety of options is a win win.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/19 ... ree-zones/

I think there definitely is a place for adult oriented establishments. And I'm more than happy to give them business.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Thanks for the suggestions. There are certainly plenty of places where I wouldn't dream of taking my daughter but there are a few places that I will trend towards because I know it is an environment I am comfortable having her in. I wouldn't take her to Volo, too crowded and it is a specialized atmosphere but C'est What is wide open and with the fish tank and board gAmes it seems an acceptable place for a young one. By the time I get off work, get to Hamilton pick up my nephew and get downtown, it is unlikely we will have time to stop anywhere anyways but if we get a chance we may. I missed most of the opening act when we saw The Who at the ACC in the fall and the bit I did hear makes me want to get there a bit earlier this time.

Anyone who is up on Sunday mornings might want to listen to CFRB1010's trivia show. We've been to a dozen good concerts over the past three years all for free by winning on Sunday mornings. Lots of other goodies too ( including a Muskoka Brewery prize basket )

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Thanks again for the tips. Sadly I arrived too late to have a beer before the show but we had a great time none the less. What a fantastic performance!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

ill be in Hamilton this Sunday from 3 til 5, trying to avoid the st paddys bar scene

any suggestions?

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

matt7215 wrote:trying to avoid the st paddys bar scene
Could be tricky. The newest addition, The Stowaway, might be a decent option. It's pretty new so a lot of people still don't know about it, and I hear it's bigger than expected. I might go check it out for the first time tonight. Hamilton will one day be the capital of the world when it comes to nautical-themed craft beer bars.

The Ship & Judge are likely write-offs due to being on Augusta, although maybe if you get there early enough...
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Turns out the Stowaway doesn't open until 5pm, despite what their website says.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.