Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Belgium

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

rfrf wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
rfrf wrote:Any recommendations for hotels in area around Cantillon?
http://www.sweetbrussels.be/

it was really great. breakfast was great. rooms were great, hostess was great.

keep in mind that, unless you're getting a place in the middle of nowhere (like i did the 1st time i was in brussels), everything is close to everything. so this B&B is a 15 min walk from the Grote Markt and, i think a 7-8 min walk from Cantillon
booked into this bnb for a couple of nights in april. thanks for the recommendation.
remember: it's beautiful in the inside, breakfasts are great and it's a 10 minute walk to the train station, grande place and cantillon.

if you want any food tips, let me know

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Any recommendations for places to stay in the Ghent/Ypres/Passendale region?

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Also, is there any point in going to the Abbey of Saint Sixtus if I don't have a beer reservation? Is there a café or anything there (where I can buy a bottle to drink on-site at least)?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Ceecee wrote:Also, is there any point in going to the Abbey of Saint Sixtus if I don't have a beer reservation? Is there a café or anything there (where I can buy a bottle to drink on-site at least)?
http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

I've never been, but I'm pretty sure the cafe will sell you bottles to drink on-site. They sometimes have take-away six packs too, but that's not guaranteed.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

atomeyes wrote:
rfrf wrote:
atomeyes wrote: http://www.sweetbrussels.be/

it was really great. breakfast was great. rooms were great, hostess was great.

keep in mind that, unless you're getting a place in the middle of nowhere (like i did the 1st time i was in brussels), everything is close to everything. so this B&B is a 15 min walk from the Grote Markt and, i think a 7-8 min walk from Cantillon
booked into this bnb for a couple of nights in april. thanks for the recommendation.
remember: it's beautiful in the inside, breakfasts are great and it's a 10 minute walk to the train station, grande place and cantillon.

by all means. tip away.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Craig wrote:
Ceecee wrote:Also, is there any point in going to the Abbey of Saint Sixtus if I don't have a beer reservation? Is there a café or anything there (where I can buy a bottle to drink on-site at least)?
http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

I've never been, but I'm pretty sure the cafe will sell you bottles to drink on-site. They sometimes have take-away six packs too, but that's not guaranteed.
I went to Belgium in May of last year with In de Vrede being one of my stops, and I'd definitely recommend if you get a chance. The cafe will sell you any of the Blond, 8 or 12 to drink onsite at fairly reasonable prices (maxing out at a little under 5 Euros per bottle for the 12).

I was also lucky enough to have the shop inside the cafe selling 6-packs of the 12 for take-away, so while it isn't guaranteed that they'll be selling the 12 when you're there, there's probably a decent chance you'll get to walk away with some beer.

I stayed at a pretty good hostel in Ghent, took the train from there to Poperinge, then biked out to the cafe, so I can pass along any of that info to you if you need it.

Cheers!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

rfrf wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
rfrf wrote:booked into this bnb for a couple of nights in april. thanks for the recommendation.

by all means. tip away.
http://www.ratebeer.com/p/nuetnigenough-brussels/15910/

love their food and they have Fantome saison in bottles.

also, wander over to rue Saint Catherine. there are some fish shacks and oyster stands.

mussels = only eat them when the month ends in R. otherwise, they're imported, so you may as well eat them in toronto.

chocolate tour - walk the route. there are some amazing shops.

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/04/28/ ... russels-be

i wanted to go to #5 on that list. hard to find horse prepared nicely.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Chocolate tour? Do you have the route?

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

walz22 wrote:I stayed at a pretty good hostel in Ghent
I'm too old for that. Plus I'll have my wife and toddler in tow. I was thinking B&B/holiday rental/hotel in Ghent or Ypres.

cveerman

Post by cveerman »

Ghent is actually my favorite city in Belgium.

Hotel - Sandton Grand Hotel
Restaurant - Volta
Cocktails - Jiggers (don't miss this one)
Bottle Shop - De Hopduvel (epic bottle shop)

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

cveerman wrote:Ghent is actually my favorite city in Belgium.

Restaurant - Volta
Great! Thanks for the recommendations.
The beer list on the de Hopduvel website is incredible.

Going to visit WWI memorials, cemeteries and battlefields in Ypres and Passendale but use Ghent as a home base. I hope to spend at least a day exploring the city as well.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Ceecee wrote:
cveerman wrote:Ghent is actually my favorite city in Belgium.

Restaurant - Volta
Great! Thanks for the recommendations.
The beer list on the de Hopduvel website is incredible.

Going to visit WWI memorials, cemeteries and battlefields in Ypres and Passendale but use Ghent as a home base. I hope to spend at least a day exploring the city as well.
Ghent is a great city. I love it.
Food's a bit better than Bruges.
Bars are not as good as Bruges.
For family, i'd suggest Bruges over Ghent. Bruges is safer and really, really clean and pretty.

if you're doing a WWI hop, then duh, go to Westvleteren and Oostvleteren (Struise brewery). Struise's taproom's open only on Saturdays, i think. They aren't far from Ypres.

what month you going? I may be in Oostvleteren for June.

Chocolates: read this. http://yummy-planet.com/en/top-10-place ... e-brussels

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/trave ... ssels.html

I think Passion Chocolate was our favourite. the woman working there's supernice. basically, she gives you a shitload of chocolate to try.

don't sign up for a tour. i don't remember if you can get maps at the shops to do the route or if i had something already prepared. you'll walk for an hour and hit the stores.

just remember: they can confiscate chocolate at Customs since it may have milk.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Heading over in August. It's a whirlwind European tour. A wedding in Scotland then visiting family in Paderborn, Germany (ex pat Scots living on the base), probably going to Koln and Dusseldorf. Then it's 5 or 6 days in Belgium split between Brussels and Ghent. Then off to Treviso, Italy for another wedding. Gonna be exhausting but fun.

Just noticed that de Struise is only open on Saturdays. Shit. I'm not in the region on a Saturday.

I plan on visiting Westvleteren, however, and maybe De Ranke in Dottignies.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Ceecee wrote:Heading over in August. It's a whirlwind European tour. A wedding in Scotland then visiting family in Paderborn, Germany (ex pat Scots living on the base), probably going to Koln and Dusseldorf. Then it's 5 or 6 days in Belgium split between Brussels and Ghent. Then off to Treviso, Italy for another wedding. Gonna be exhausting but fun.

Just noticed that de Struise is only open on Saturdays. Shit. I'm not in the region on a Saturday.

I plan on visiting Westvleteren, however, and maybe De Ranke in Dottignies.
if you're coming from Germany, see if you can stop off in Maastricht for 1 day. It's a really neat town with one really great bar (Cafe Frappe) to eat/drink at. their good beer's not on the menu. you just have to ask them for their good De Struise stuff.

De Struise has a bottle shop in Bruges and you can drink their beer at De Kelk.

Having been to Belgium twice, I'd still suggest being based out of Bruges vs Ghent. All you need in Bruges is 2 nights and days. Better bars, better shopping, better everything in Bruges except food. Food was bloody tough to find w/o being ripped off.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Is Ghent unsafe? It just seems quieter and less touristy than Bruges. I'm not looking for nightlife or even shopping per se (flying all over the place, keeping things light-ish). I doubt I'll be able to get out to any bars at night anyway. Grabbing a few bottles for the hotel is more my speed. Just leaning toward Ghent because I abhor tourist traps.