Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Palm Springs / Palm Desert + area

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

screw2000

Palm Springs / Palm Desert + area

Post by screw2000 »

A few quick notes from a trip this month:

1. Coachella Valley Brewing (Thousand Palms)

Brewery just opened this year. Currently the only one in the valley.

Pretty nice tasting room at the brewery. They had about 8-10 of their beers on tap.

Did two tasting flights, all the beers were solid. Good variety too.

Not bottling yet (they said within a month or two), but they do have growlers to go.

2. Schmidy's Tavern (Palm Desert)

Irish pub in a nondescript strip mall. In addition to the usual suspects, there were about 6-8 craft taps when we went there (about 50% local, 50% other good US craft).

Wait staff were very friendly and helpful. Good job with promoting the craft taps over the macros.

They also have weekly/monthly tasting nights. We were there on a Monday afternoon, so pretty much the only ones in the bar. :-)

3. Backstreet Brewery / Lamppost Pizza (La Quinta)

Part of a California chain.

About 5-6 of their own house beers on tap. Pretty safe in terms of styles on offer.

Pizzas were nice and tasty.

We were there on a Wednesday afternoon, again pretty much the only ones in the bar. :-)

4. Yard House (Rancho Mirage)

Part of the national chain.

Massive place, was busy when we went for dinner.

150+ taps, pretty much covers everything. Decent local representation.

Obviously with that many taps I was worried about some being stale, but everything we ordered was OK.

Food was tasty. Usual US restaurant massive portion size.

General travel tip: You'll need a DD to get around the area. Everything is a 20+ minute drive apart, and I think I saw a grand total of one taxi the whole week.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Palm Desert has a Total Wine now, lots of selection too

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Just spent a few days in the Desert. Incredible scenery! Went through the Joshua Tree Park and up the tramway.

Beer notes:

Babe's: A small note about Coachella being the only brewery, that's not correct. Babe's also brews and limited bottles, but has been around forever. The brewpub is in the big Rivers complex in Rancho Mirage. Food was good, beer was just "meh". They had lots of guest taps as well.

Whole Foods Palm Desert: Just opened in the Town Center a few weeks ago. Typical WF, solid beer selection of local, regional, national and international craft.

Total Wine Palm Desert, just across from WF: Massive alcohol depot. I didn't spot any whales, but there can't be a better spot to buy beer in the area. Freshness looked solid overall.