Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Indianapolis

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Indianapolis

Post by sprague11 »

Will be in Indy in a couple weeks for a conference. Anybody ever been?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I took the short bus around the track... but I don't remember any good beer.

carguy

Post by carguy »

My brother lives in Indy, and I go there a couple times a year. They have a great craft beer scene. I asked his opinion for a vistor to the city, and below is his reply.....

There are lots of places to get good beer in Indy. Twenty Tap in Broad Ripple has 38 taps all devoted to American craft beer, I haven't eaten there, but I've heard it has decent food as well. Brugge in Broad Ripple serves mostly their own beer, but also have rotating guest taps. As you may be able to tell from the name their beer are Belgian styles and the menu is also mostly belgian inspired fare (pomme frites, crepes, mussels). Rock Bottom has decent beer too, but they are a chain, and as such you can get very similar beer in their restaurants across the country. Almost all of the pubs in Indy now have a variety of local and American craft beer so a couple of places notable for their food are Bru Burger on Mass Ave and Bluebeard on Virginia Ave close to downtown.

As far as Indy breweries there are also quite a few of them springing up around the city. Triton is one of my favourites but the brewery is a little out of the way in Lawrence, they do have a small tasting room in Broad Ripple though. Flat 12 is very good and close to the downtown area, samples and pints are available as well as Growler fills. They don't have food available but rotating food trucks are just outside. Fountain Square Brewing is also close to downtown and has a decent selection of American style beer. Sun King isn't worth a visit as it is just a sample room where they want you to have your 4 samples, fill your growler and get out.

Enjoy!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Lots of breweries in indy making passable to better than passable beer, with weird as fuck hours.

lots of 3 brewers types aimed at tourists in the downtown. Every sportsbar seems to have the same taplst of fairly safe local beers. Of the many pints i had, only the brugge trippel, rock bottom double ipa and sun king osirus were beers i would revisit.

Of the 3 bottle shops i hit there was very few 3 floyds bottles anywhere. Only real brewery i saw i cant readily buy things from in buffalo or detroit was Against the Grain, and anything i was really interested in by them was long gone. My haul looked like this:

sun king osirus pale ale
Dark horse plead the 5th
Fat heads headhunter (dates rubbed off, im estimating they are from january the latest after drinking one last night :( )
Three floyds arctic panzer wolf
Three floyds alpha klaus
Uplands raspberry lambic
Uplands strawberry lambic
Fantome hiver
Fantome printemps

On the plus side, i managed to crash michigan states alumni party and got comped bourbon and free food all night. :wink: partying with a bunch of cheerleaders definitely did not suck!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo