Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Asheville, NC

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Asheville, NC

Post by dale cannon »

Apparently boasts 16 craft breweries, which is nuts for a city of its size.

I'll be there for a week this month for some training in the mountains.

Anyone been and have recommendations?
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Been meaning to go for a few years now, haven't been able to make it. I'll see if I have any planning lists kicking around...

screw2000

Post by screw2000 »

Some quick notes from a trip this fall.

Downtown is very walkable and vibrant (tons of great restaurants and interesting shops).

Outside of downtown, the outlying areas are quite spread out -- you will need a car and DD to visit the breweries out here (Pisgah, Catabwa, Highland, etc...).

There's also two sake breweries in the city if you're into that.

The airport gift shop has a decent selection of glassware in case you forgot to buy souvenirs.

The list below is by no means exhaustive, these are the places we ended up visiting. Had a great experience at all of them.

Breweries in the downtown area:

The first few on the list are all within a 15 minute walk of each other.

1. Wicked Weed Brewing (91 Biltmore Ave) -- awesome patio with firepit

2. Green Man Brewing (27 Buxton Ave)

3. Burial Beer Co (40 Collier Ave)

4. Twin Leaf Brewery (144 Coxe Ave)

5. Hi-Wire Brewing (197 Hilliard Ave)

6. Asheville Brewing Co (77 Coxe Ave) -- covered outdoor area with bigscreen TV

7. One World Brewing (10 Patton Ave) -- enter off the alley and head downstairs like a speakeasy

Wedge Brewing Co (37 Paynes Way) -- in the River Arts District; while in the area, worth stopping for lunch at 12 Bones Smokehouse.

Beer Bars:

Barley's Taproom and Pizzeria (42 Biltmore Ave) -- 2 floors, excellent selection of local and NC beers

Thirsty Monk (92 Patton Ave) -- Tap list split between upstairs (American) and basement (Belgian)

Bier Garden (46 Haywood St) -- Massive bottle selection.

Other Good Bars:

Pack's Tavern (20 South Spruce St)

Ben's Tune Up (195 Hillard Ave) -- cool divey outdoor tiki-themed beer garden / patio

Beer Store:

Bruisin' Ales (66 Broadway St)

aofe

Post by aofe »

Thank You for that info!!! I was thinking of going there later this month!!!

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Don't forget the new Sierra Nevada brewery down the road in Mills River, and soon to be New Belgium too. Asheville is booming on beer.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Thanks for the notes Screw2000. I'll be back down there for a week of training in the mountains at the end of April. I'll check back in here with any further notes sometime after I return.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.