Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new

SWEETWATER SQUEEZE RADLER
LCBO 418574 | 473 mL can
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 2.85

PRINCESS WEARS GIRL PANTS
LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can
Price: $ 5.25

BELLE EPOQUE - 10TH ANNIVERSARY ALE
LCBO 419366 | 750 mL bottle
Price: $ 10.95

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

spinrsx wrote:new
LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can
I wonder if that's a new highest price point for a tall boy can at the LCBO. I also wonder what this will taste like. I had two rather different versions of it on tap in the last year and change. One was meh and the most recent one was quite different and quite tasty.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

napoleon wrote:
LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can
I wonder if that's a new highest price point for a tall boy can at the LCBO. I also wonder what this will taste like. I had two rather different versions of it on tap in the last year and change. One was meh and the most recent one was quite different and quite tasty.

I had two very different bottles of this last year. One was an absolutely terrible drain pour and the other was meh. I will 100% not even look at this for that price. It's outrageous

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

both of these are belgian pale ales if I'm not mistaken.. the flying monkeys price is even higher per ml

LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can

sofakingdrunk wrote:
napoleon wrote:
LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can

I had two very different bottles of this last year. One was an absolutely terrible drain pour and the other was meh. I will 100% not even look at this for that price. It's outrageous

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now:

ACADIAN GROOVE
Canada | Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery
LCBO 425363 | 750 mL | $ 12.95 | SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES

SESSION GOSE 2015
Canada | Sweetgrass Brewing Co.
LCBO 428128 | 750 mL | $ 7.95

HOGS BACK ONTARIO PALE ALE
LCBO 415117 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.75

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

pumped to try that gose

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

spinrsx wrote:both of these are belgian pale ales if I'm not mistaken.. the flying monkeys price is even higher per ml

LCBO 419762 | 473 mL can

Yeah to be honest at that price point, it's not that different than just getting it on draft in a bar. And for a random beer I've never tried, I'm starting to get skittish about these $10 price points...I've had a few real disappointments lately.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

LOOOOOL at Sawdust City! LOL I say! Are they insane? LOL! Really just LOL at most of the OCB all day fucking long. Outside of GLB, they are all pretty much out of their minds.

Don de Dieu at $6.95 for a 750ml is how you do it! World class beer at an everyman's price.
Last edited by Blasphomet on Fri May 22, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

^ Less "insane" than Flying Monkeys, evidently, on a cost per ml. basis.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Yeah buy Flying Monkey is mostly insane too when it comes to their 750's. But at least they have a history of some quality to back them up, albeit not so recently. (Actually... the Paranormal Pumpkin Ale I found to be fantastic and pretty much my new favourite in the style.) As far as I know, this is Sawdust's third beer available at the LC... so LOOOL!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Blasphomet wrote: LOOOOOL at Sawdust City! LOL I say! Are they insane? LOL! Really just LOL at most of the OCB all day fucking long.
Unfortunately they're not insane - a bunch of idiots will buy it anyways, other brewers will take note, and beer prices will continue to rise. That's been the predominant trend for the last couple of years. You're right to balk at that price, but plenty of dude-bros, yuppies, and other "beer curious" types will buy it because they like the name and the look of the bright green can (or some other inane reason). I hate to be so negative but this has been happening for a while now and I don't see it stopping any time soon.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Blasphomet wrote:Yeah buy Flying Monkey is mostly insane too when it comes to their 750's. But at least they have a history of some quality to back them up, albeit not so recently. (Actually... the Paranormal Pumpkin Ale I found to be fantastic and pretty much my new favourite in the style.) As far as I know, this is Sawdust's third beer available at the LC... so LOOOL!
They've got 4 in the 'BO right now. Red Rocket and Lone Pine are both $3.25 and LDVU and Princess are $5.25.

As an aside, searching the LCBO website for "Sawdust City" only returns one of those, which would drive me bonkers if I were Sawdust City.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

cratez wrote:
Blasphomet wrote: LOOOOOL at Sawdust City! LOL I say! Are they insane? LOL! Really just LOL at most of the OCB all day fucking long.
Unfortunately they're not insane - a bunch of idiots will buy it anyways, other brewers will take note, and beer prices will continue to rise. That's been the predominant trend for the last couple of years. You're right to balk at that price, but plenty of dude-bros, yuppies, and other "beer curious" types will buy it because they like the name and the look of the bright green can (or some other inane reason). I hate to be so negative but this has been happening for a while now and I don't see it stopping any time soon.
If people are buying things at those prices and feel like they're getting their money's worth, why are they idiots? It's not like people are bankrupting themselves buying expensive 750s.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Blasphomet wrote:Yeah buy Flying Monkey is mostly insane too when it comes to their 750's. But at least they have a history of some quality to back them up, albeit not so recently. (Actually... the Paranormal Pumpkin Ale I found to be fantastic and pretty much my new favourite in the style.) As far as I know, this is Sawdust's third beer available at the LC... so LOOOL!
Sawdust City have some good solid beers, such as Lone Pine and their Alt. I personally will not be buying LDVU or Princess at those prices, but I don't feel the need to publicly shame them or LOL at them.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Princess stands as the worst beer I've ever had, at least on the first occasion of having tried it.

It was at Bar Hop last summer. I tried to order it and the bartender suggested I have a small taste first. There is something off about it she quipped. She said it tasted like goat cheese left in your hockey bag for two weeks in July in the trunk of your car. She was pretty much spot on, at least in so far as it tasted like what i imagine said goat cheese would taste like under those conditions. It was, obviously, a bad keg, but the current price coupled with that experience leads me to pass on this listing...