Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer Craft Beer Release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mojo

Post by mojo »

Belgian wrote:
jeremyg wrote:had the apocalypso at bellwoods tonight (albeit on draft) and wasn't super impressed
The Le Trou de Diable stuff that is truly amazing is rare as hen's teeth, but now I've sampled some of those I have a hint of sentimental respect for their regular offerings. The hype doesn't always help this brewery.
I've always found their sours/wild beers/barrel aged stuff to be fantastic, and the rest of their stuff to be average.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I've only had their beer that's been available at the LCBO, but have not been disapointed. Wonderful presentation, great beer, and at a decent price. Totally cool with La Trou Du Diable.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

mojo wrote:
Belgian wrote:
jeremyg wrote:had the apocalypso at bellwoods tonight (albeit on draft) and wasn't super impressed
The Le Trou de Diable stuff that is truly amazing is rare as hen's teeth, but now I've sampled some of those I have a hint of sentimental respect for their regular offerings. The hype doesn't always help this brewery.
I've always found their sours/wild beers/barrel aged stuff to be fantastic, and the rest of their stuff to be average.
I just shared a bottle of L'Ours (blend 1) with 2 friends at lunch - first time I've been disappointed with one of their beers - although my expectations might have been off.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Did you find it a little milder than you were expecting? I think the blends got stronger as they went along.

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Craig wrote:Did you find it a little milder than you were expecting? I think the blends got stronger as they went along.
Yes - unfortunately. It wasn't offensive or anything like that, just underwhelming.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

i like trou du diable in general, but i find their stuff hit or miss. they've got a couple brews that have been in the lcbo that i wish were year round. la tracteur comes to mind. lovely saison.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

spinrsx wrote:listed now:

DEATH VALLEY
LCBO 407692 | 750 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 5.60
Found some on Thursday in London. While not as fresh as when I had it in QC last year, it's still a tasty IPA with some light Belgium characteristics and a nice malt body. At 5.60 for 750ml the stuff is a steal.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Craig wrote:Jacobins has been in stores for like a week now, but I suspect that wasn't the main release. I hope not anyway, or I missed it too.
I just checked today and Jacobins is all over the place now. Almost 1000 bottles at Queens Quay!

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

jeremyg wrote:i like trou du diable in general, but i find their stuff hit or miss. they've got a couple brews that have been in the lcbo that i wish were year round. la tracteur comes to mind. lovely saison.
I'm hoping their Apocalypso arrives at a few more TO stores. Only 22 bottles left across 3 stores according to their site. And I think I only saw that number get up to about 6 different stores. Brutal!

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I will be picking up some of the Death Valley. I've picked it up from BHH in the past and for the price it's good. My bottle had 1 1/2" of sediment in it from all the dry hopping so expect it to be bitter.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

had the death valley last night with a buddy, really enjoyed it. great price.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now:

Ninkasi
LCBO#: 414797 | 750 mL bottle
$11.65

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

jeremyg wrote:had the death valley last night with a buddy, really enjoyed it. great price.

I did not like this one. found it one dimensional and too sweet, even for a belgian ipa. It was a chore to finish that big bottle. Luckily, Gregorius was there to save the evening.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Craig wrote:
Craig wrote:Jacobins has been in stores for like a week now, but I suspect that wasn't the main release. I hope not anyway, or I missed it too.
I just checked today and Jacobins is all over the place now. Almost 1000 bottles at Queens Quay!
So I was just in this store, which shows 770 bottles in stock online. I asked them to grab me a case, as they only had singles on the shelves. Turns out that entire inventory is set aside for an order (that wasn't entered correctly) and can't be sold. So I cleaned out the shelves and left. I guess they're out now.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm also curious which bar picked up 30 cases of a Flemish red.