Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

talon_d wrote:I always wonder where the push to use 650+ comes from - I just don't find them to be a logical format (esp. for your more standard offerings). Is it a profitability thing? Marketing? Encouraged by the LCBO?
Definitely encouraged by the LCBO. When they put out for seasonal listings, they quite often include the formats they're looking for and it's always larger bottles.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Craig wrote:
talon_d wrote:I always wonder where the push to use 650+ comes from - I just don't find them to be a logical format (esp. for your more standard offerings). Is it a profitability thing? Marketing? Encouraged by the LCBO?
Definitely encouraged by the LCBO. When they put out for seasonal listings, they quite often include the formats they're looking for and it's always larger bottles.
I believe they have changed their view on this lately, they seem to be pushing for cans more now. You'd have to ask a brew to confirm that though, but it's what I've heard.
GTA Brews - Toronto's Homebrew Club - http://www.gtabrews.ca/

Eric's Brewing Blog - Advanced Homebrewing for the Intermediate Brewer - http://www.ericbrews.com/

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

ercousin wrote:
Craig wrote:
I believe they have changed their view on this lately, they seem to be pushing for cans more now. You'd have to ask a brew to confirm that though, but it's what I've heard.
Both are right. The preference generally speaking is for cans but, for craft specifically, they are increasingly encouraging "premium brands" (aka higher prices) and consider unique, attractive packaging an extension of that.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

biegaman wrote:
ercousin wrote:
Craig wrote:
Both are right. The preference generally speaking is for cans but, for craft specifically, they are increasingly encouraging "premium brands" (aka higher prices) and consider unique, attractive packaging an extension of that.
Yup. Recently we asked to change from 750ml to 500ml and were declined. So more high priced 750's from us it will be.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Yup. Recently we asked to change from 750ml to 500ml and were declined. So more high priced 750's from us it will be.
But respectfully sir, I don't buy those from you. You're competing with Saison Dupont and St. Bernardus Abt 12 in well-priced 750mls. What a bunch of tossery that is keeping Ontarians from enjoying your brews!
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Yup. Recently we asked to change from 750ml to 500ml and were declined. So more high priced 750's from us it will be.
But respectfully sir, I don't buy those from you. You're competing with Saison Dupont and St. Bernardus Abt 12 in well-priced 750mls. What a bunch of tossery that is keeping Ontarians from enjoying your brews!
I've never bought one either. And I've got a box plus of SD on hand, so we're in the same boat. I'm just pointing out that we wanted to do something about it and were told no.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Belgian wrote:
I wish the LCBO published sales numbers. I bet you Lake of Bays outsells Dupont and Berny in the BO.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

ORANJE WEISSE SINGLE CAN
Canada | Amsterdam Brewing Company
LCBO 419119 | 473 mL | $ 2.75

STATE OF MIND SESSION IPA
Canada | Collective Arts Brewing Limited
LCBO 420034 | 6x355 mL | $ 13.95

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Belgian wrote:
I'm just pointing out that we wanted to do something about it and were told no.
That's frustrating to hear although I guess not entirely surprising.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

biegaman wrote:Both are right. The preference generally speaking is for cans but, for craft specifically, they are increasingly encouraging "premium brands" (aka higher prices) and consider unique, attractive packaging an extension of that.
So stop blaming the breweries for what you consider to be laughable pricing, etc., OCB-haters. They're only responding to what their sole viable distributor insists on.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

DOUBLE TROUBLE - REVENGE OF THE GINGER
LCBO 419036 | 473 mL can
6.2% Alcohol/Vol.
Price: $ 3.00

Listed in 8 stores including Norwood (!) and Hagersville (!) Go figure.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Belgian wrote:
I've never bought one either. And I've got a box plus of SD on hand, so we're in the same boat. I'm just pointing out that we wanted to do something about it and were told no.
And I do get that and I appreciate it. They want to put a stupid little pretty bow on it, while you just want to promote an Ontario reputation for credible beer, which they are hindering... They should leave the selling to you and just be retailers.
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

midlife crisis wrote:So stop blaming the breweries for what you consider to be laughable pricing, etc., OCB-haters. They're only responding to what their sole viable distributor insists on.
I think you're correct in some ways, but pricing in Ontario is terrible all around. Breweries like oast house and Bellwoods that only sell out of their store front have pretty brutal pricing as well(I realize that oast is in the lcbo, but their pricing has been fucked since before then and still is for their growler fills). I'm not sure, but I doubt the lcbo tells Bellwoods to price their beers the way they do.

I agree that the price of that princess beer is a joke, but how is it any worse than the Bellwoods IPAs? Aren't they all a minimum of 5.50 and up for their 500s? I actually don't even know their exact price because I usually just go in there and buy a mix and never really look at the exact price except to mentally note how much more I spent than in the states and how much less I got!

I think it's just Ontario. There is a market for craft beer, people assume it has to be more expensive, and they pay it. Some people will strive to educate themselves about beer from all over and start to question why they pay more for a ok saison made in their backyard than they do a world class made in Belgium and sold in the same store, others will keep happily buying the only version of craft beer they know, rated it high and be blindly happy, and others will just move on once they realize that much of what is made in Ontario is barely more enjoyable than typical bmc. I hope that the market grows and better breweries open with aggressive price points that kill the ones that think they can continue to gouge unaware consumers, but it's going to take time.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

ckoop wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:So stop blaming the breweries for what you consider to be laughable pricing, etc., OCB-haters. They're only responding to what their sole viable distributor insists on.
I think you're correct in some ways, but pricing in Ontario is terrible all around. Breweries like oast house and Bellwoods that only sell out of their store front have pretty brutal pricing as well(I realize that oast is in the lcbo, but their pricing has been fucked since before then and still is for their growler fills). I'm not sure, but I doubt the lcbo tells Bellwoods to price their beers the way they do.

I think it's just Ontario. There is a market for craft beer, people assume it has to be more expensive, and they pay it. Some people will strive to educate themselves about beer from all over and start to question why they pay more for a ok saison made in their backyard than they do a world class made in Belgium and sold in the same store, others will keep happily buying the only version of craft beer they know, rated it high and be blindly happy, and others will just move on once they realize that much of what is made in Ontario is barely more enjoyable than typical bmc. I hope that the market grows and better breweries open with aggressive price points that kill the ones that think they can continue to gouge unaware consumers, but it's going to take time.
Great Lakes is an exception to overall pricy-ness of Ontario beer, which is part of the reason I've been giving them my business more frequently. They're making arguably the best IPAs in the province and if you're quick, you can grab them in tall cans for $3.50(ish) at the bottle shop. Even if you miss out on the cans, $6 at the LCBO for the 650ml bomber is still pretty good.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

ckoop wrote:

I agree that the price of that princess beer is a joke, but how is it any worse than the Bellwoods IPAs? Aren't they all a minimum of 5.50 and up for their 500s? I actually don't even know their exact price because I usually just go in there and buy a mix and never really look at the exact price except to mentally note how much more I spent than in the states and how much less I got!

Agreed with most of this, except that at least bellwoods quality comes closer to justifying the price of their products. They way I see it, If bellwoods is a nice ribeye steak,"princess" is a piece of sirloin. Just because they both weigh a pound doesn't mean they should be similarly priced.
Sure they may all be overpriced but some are(almost) with it.