Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Summerhill Growler/Craft Beer Destination Store

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

darmokandjalad wrote:
napoleon wrote: Well said. Although I did like a couple other beers from the release (definitely NOT the Black).
I actually also liked the Green Gold, and the Cream Ale was quite good (for a cream ale), IMO. Haven't opened the black yet, and I probably won't for a few years. Disappointment is a dish best served cold, I hear.

I don't think any of the beers were bad - I tried them all (other than the Black) and gave them all decent-to-good ratings. They just weren't worth the price tag.
Just to be different, I only tried the Black and I poured all but my second sip of it down the drain. I imagine it would appeal to some people, but that beer had such an in-your-face charred profile it's got to be a love it or hate it thing.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:...Just to be different, I only tried the Black and I poured all but my second sip of it down the drain. I imagine it would appeal to some people, but that beer had such an in-your-face charred profile it's got to be a love it or hate it thing.
Just to be differently different, Black 'has got to be a love it or WTF thing.' Just my 2¢.
In Beerum Veritas

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Agreed, the Mikkeller release was probably doomed to fail and was just a glib example. I had the pale ale and enjoyed it but felt that a fresh Crazy Canuck ran circles around it especially considering the pricing.

What I do find interesting, no one is arguing the point that the LCBO should be equitable and try to get premium products into smaller markets. I wonder if much of the LCBO hand wringing on the number of SKUs is based on the assumption that, as a government agency, they are obliged to roll out products throughout the province.

It seems we'd be happy if they had a few premium beer stores where they made money handover fist and that anyone that was interested could get product shipped to them along with the regular stock runs that other LCBO stores already have. Run it just like any other online retailer would, pay at the time of order etc.

Business plans are dead easy when you've got a monopoly.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Cass wrote:I hope to be proven wrong but I think the last few years with the seasonals & brewery features will be looked back as the best we had it.
In particular, the Founders release.

leanne.rhee@lcbo.com - Beer category manager for the LCBO. We should mass-email her with complaints about the planned reduction of beer listings.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

What I don't get is what does A have to do with B. If A the food retailers will have limited stock and selection of beer, why does that justify B the LCBO reducing their beer selection?

Selection and volume are different things. Reducing LCBO beer sales volume a tiny amount (and that's debatable if sales volumes increase overall) does not call for a lost variety in selection.

Is their idea with A and B to make life easier for LCBO store managers and not threaten the beer store too much, while also protecting the interests of the biggest breweries who will still bully their way into all beer outlets?

The functioning of this province really bothers me, full stop. There be some issues.
In Beerum Veritas

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I haven't been to summerhill all summer. Is there any action in the old Timothy's shop to suggest that this is on track for an August opening?

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

alsiem wrote:I haven't been to summerhill all summer. Is there any action in the old Timothy's shop to suggest that this is on track for an August opening?
Last time I was by the construction looked well underway. The wall between the LCBO and the Timothy's was partially taken down and replaced with a tarp/temp wall. Looks like it's moving along quite quickly.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Very good. Even though they will not carry unique product, I've grown tired of trying to find my favorite products. For example, really enjoying Lone Pine IPA and was suprised at how hard it was to find (I know Drinkvine) outside of Laird.

Wrong thread but I was in Gravenhurst recently and was very pleased with how many brews Sawdust City had in cans. I understand Golden Beach ale is coming to the LCBO and I think it was delicious. It gives Detour a run for my fav session ale.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

According to the meetings we've had with the LCBO, they will be carrying unique product.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Exciting, I thought they had promised all Ont. Craft beer SKUS. Which would have been pretty good anyway as I believe there are small breweries that only distribute to a few LCBOs near them.

Let's hope I can get in the door with all the Sleeman products piled up.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Craig wrote:I fully expect Grocery stores to have listings very similar to TBS. For all the reasons previously stated, especially the listing fees. In large part, I think this will be because of the limited roll-out of stores. Maybe if the government would let independent grocery stores or even smaller chains like Whole Foods in on the party one of them might set up a Volo-like arrangement, but if it's just Loblaw, Empire, Metro, Cosco and Walmart all we're going to see is macro beer with maybe a few token craft options.
But even if grocery stores just sell coors light that could potentially be a good thing. I am thinking when grocery stores start selling beer the overall beer consumption in Ontario probably isn't going to increase by that much. It is not like people are going to say "well there is beer in these stores too, I better drink twice as much beer". But at the same time you are right coors light will probably be in every loblaws/walmart/metro store. Which means sales of coors light at the LCBO would probably decrease, which would mean not needing to carry as much of that and similar products. Since they have all that expensive real estate, and now all that extra shelf space, adding more products that they didn't carry before, especially in part of the beer industry where there is actual growth seems like it would make sense.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
Craig wrote:I fully expect Grocery stores to have listings very similar to TBS. For all the reasons previously stated, especially the listing fees. In large part, I think this will be because of the limited roll-out of stores. Maybe if the government would let independent grocery stores or even smaller chains like Whole Foods in on the party one of them might set up a Volo-like arrangement, but if it's just Loblaw, Empire, Metro, Cosco and Walmart all we're going to see is macro beer with maybe a few token craft options.
But even if grocery stores just sell coors light that could potentially be a good thing. I am thinking when grocery stores start selling beer the overall beer consumption in Ontario probably isn't going to increase by that much. It is not like people are going to say "well there is beer in these stores too, I better drink twice as much beer". But at the same time you are right coors light will probably be in every loblaws/walmart/metro store. Which means sales of coors light at the LCBO would probably decrease, which would mean not needing to carry as much of that and similar products. Since they have all that expensive real estate, and now all that extra shelf space, adding more products that they didn't carry before, especially in part of the beer industry where there is actual growth seems like it would make sense.
The LCBO have actually indicated that they will do exactly the opposite. Because of the beer sales in grocery stores, they're putting less focus on craft options for some reason.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Craig wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:
The LCBO have actually indicated that they will do exactly the opposite. Because of the beer sales in grocery stores, they're putting less focus on craft options for some reason.
Which seems odd. I mean simple math would tell me that with more beer buying options Coors Light is going to move off of LCBO store shelves at a slower rate. But to counteract that they are going to start carrying more Coors light?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I bet they're going to start carrying more mixed drinks and the like, or maybe just give some shelf space back to wine and spirits, but yeah, it's a head-scratcher.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
Which seems odd. I mean simple math would tell me that with more beer buying options Coors Light is going to move off of LCBO store shelves at a slower rate. But to counteract that they are going to start carrying more Coors light?
I don't have a source to cite, but I've read that most craft beer is purchased by macro drinkers who occasionally buy something different looking. Less total beer sales means less craft beer sales.