Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

Belgian wrote:
jeremyg wrote:Stone stuff finally showing up on the site

didn't realize they were 650 ml bottles :/
Yeah me either. :/

Maybe this being Ontario they figured we must love tall bottles...

Dividing that $8.95 cost in half, can't help ask - how would they manage to sell a single 340ml of Stone IPA here for $4.50?
Or for that matter a six pack for $27? Who'd BUY that?
A two-four of IPA for $102 (and not special-order) would look kind of wacky, same price for a 12-case of these bombers.

* sigh *
Cripes, $9 for a bomber? I've got nothing against Stone -I'll often buy some when I'm travelling in the US- but except for maybe buying one to have a direct comparison to some local stuff, I can't imagine I'll buy any. I don't see how they can compete against the fresher, cheaper ON alternatives.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

too bad, i was hoping arrogant bastard was going to come in at around $7, since it's $5 USD in WNY. but $9 is a little much, even for the convenience of buying it locally.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

stone ipa was one of the releases i was the most excited about. love that ipa.

but $9 for an aged bomber? no thanks.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

LCBO prices on American craft beer has been screaming "we're doing you a huge favour so suck it" for a couple years now.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Aren't all of these Stone beers supposed to be regular listings? They all say 'seasonal - limited time' on the lcbo site..

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:Aren't all of these Stone beers supposed to be regular listings? They all say 'seasonal - limited time' on the lcbo site..
Asked last week at my local store and was told it looked like a one time offering from what he could see.

Wasn't going to buy too many but now I may have to change my thinking. Wegmans in the Falls sell it for $4.99 but even just adding almost 34% exchange, hardly worth buying there.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ckoop wrote:too bad, i was hoping arrogant bastard was going to come in at around $7, since it's $5 USD in WNY. but $9 is a little much, even for the convenience of buying it locally.
Exactly. I was prepared to buy (freshly made) Stone IPA regularly for about 7 a bomber. Not nine bucks, something is wrong there.

Goose IPA is not the same thing, but it's good and 45% of the cost.
In Beerum Veritas

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

DeMarco wrote:
Ukie wrote:

Three Eyed Raven GofT #426445

Rogue Sriracha #427062

Rogue Lemon Donut #420562
Thanks, I guess I'm just not seeing these listed yet.
Realized that I had to search these through the LCBO main site cause food and drink wasn't working for recent releases. Ommegang showing stock

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Belgian wrote:
ckoop wrote:too bad, i was hoping arrogant bastard was going to come in at around $7, since it's $5 USD in WNY. but $9 is a little much, even for the convenience of buying it locally.
Exactly. I was prepared to buy (freshly made) Stone IPA regularly for about 7 a bomber. Not nine bucks, something is wrong there.

The Stone IPA is labeled "Enjoy by Sept 1", and according to their website, that means 90 days after bottling.... not sure if the same applies for the Canadian market.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

So the Stone beers are on the (Toronto) lcbo shelves?

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

rfrf wrote:
Belgian wrote:

The Stone IPA is labeled "Enjoy by Sept 1", and according to their website, that means 90 days after bottling.... not sure if the same applies for the Canadian market.
So... like 3.5 weeks before the best before date? Hopefully in any future shipments, the process is a little quicker. But at the price of $9/bomber, I won't be buying many/any.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Despite the price, I think I'll pick up 1 bottle assuming they aren't super stale. I forgot to check the date on the Brewdog Punk IPA I picked up recently. I know it's a great beer from past experience, but two months of (likely) sitting at room temperature made it taste average.

It's getting harder to buy beers like this when I can buy IPAs direct from breweries that are less than a week old and always stored in a fridge. Cut out and the middle man and get a fresher product, it's win-win.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mahcinesquad wrote:So... like 3.5 weeks before the best before date? Hopefully in any future shipments, the process is a little quicker. But at the price of $9/bomber, I won't be buying many/any.
Ukie wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Aren't all of these Stone beers supposed to be regular listings? They all say 'seasonal - limited time' on the lcbo site..
Asked last week at my local store and was told it looked like a one time offering from what he could see..
Yes the dream would be fresh Stone here in a new shipment, and as usual the initial LC testing process is quite drawn out at the expense of freshness for the IPA.

Anticlimax of the year if no fresh shipments ever come in after this one. I might have bought a few otherwise, hilarious price notwithstanding. I do like Stone!
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:So the Stone beers are on the (Toronto) lcbo shelves?

Even Hamilton got some, 2 out 3 ain't bad!

To repeat the IPA is BB Sept 01, 2015 and the Cali is BB Oct 01 2015.

Asked again and was told probably would be done by the end of the month, he didn't think there were any reorders planned.