Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

ckoop wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:
Lukie wrote: That Porter sounds pretty interesting. But let me guess, it must be some special barrel aged concoction, so we must overpay by about $3/bottle.
Pretty much.
actually, $8 for a barrel aged porter is pretty solid if you ask me. considering no ones bats an eye at bellwoods' $13 500ml barrel aged offerings and most other BA bottles that hit the lcbo are $12+, i'd be surprised if many felt this was overpriced. now whether it's any good is the real question, given amsterdam's track record, i'd give it a 50/50 shot that this will be worth buying more than one. hope i'm wrong!

If it's a good example of the style I would not mind paying, the problem is we've had a boatload of forgettable barrel aged beers coming out of Ontario that I tried once and never bothered coming back.
How about coming up with solid non barrel offerings like what we see here from out of other countries, before messing with the barrel? It seems that the barrel designation is a license to stand out on the shelves and charge obscene money only to get something that tastes, with very few exceptions, very unremarkable. The route I would much rather see them take is come up with very good regular brews and then when people love that, come up with a barrel aged version. If you can't master the pot, how the heck will you master the barrel?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Lukie wrote:

If it's a good example of the style I would not mind paying, the problem is we've had a boatload of forgettable barrel aged beers coming out of Ontario that I tried once and never bothered coming back.
How about coming up with solid non barrel offerings like what we see here from out of other countries, before messing with the barrel? It seems that the barrel designation is a license to stand out on the shelves and charge obscene money only to get something that tastes, with very few exceptions, very unremarkable. The route I would much rather see them take is come up with very good regular brews and then when people love that, come up with a barrel aged version. If you can't master the pot, how the heck will you master the barrel?
i agree with your comment about Ontario breweries missing the mark on barrel-aged beer.
but releasing a non-barrel-aged version and then barrel aging? i get it, but the bottom line is if you are going to make a beer and invest in barrels, know what you're doing first and don't release shit. or learn how to blend.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:That price has magically changed to $14.50, but it's still good to see this beer in 6-packs. I'll actually buy it now after years of ignoring the overpriced bombers.
Was Muskoka in bombers and 750mls?

Thanks for price update! I would put HA next to some superior USA stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

New:

Ephemere Pear
LCBO#: 426361 | 750 mL bottle

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote:
cratez wrote:That price has magically changed to $14.50, but it's still good to see this beer in 6-packs. I'll actually buy it now after years of ignoring the overpriced bombers.
Was Muskoka in bombers and 750mls?

Thanks for price update! I would put HA next to some superior USA stuff.
750ml bottles, so "bomber" isn't technically the right term but you get the point. The previous format was $9 for two 375ml servings; now you'll pay $14.50 for six standard bottles. Agreed that Muskoka's take on this style is comparable to the excellent harvest ales from Southern Tier, Troegs, Goose Island, Peak, etc.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Well, I'll actually buy some
Harvest ale again this year then, after boycotting their practices over the past 18 months or so. I do(did) enjoy that beer before they priced themselves out of my thinking

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Hope the lcbo gets the harvest 6 packs as well

sofakingdrunk wrote:Well, I'll actually buy some
Harvest ale again this year then, after boycotting their practices over the past 18 months or so. I do(did) enjoy that beer before they priced themselves out of my thinking

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:750ml bottles, so "bomber" isn't technically the right term but you get the point. The previous format was $9 for two 375ml servings; now you'll pay $14.50 for six standard bottles. Agreed that Muskoka's take on this style is comparable to the excellent harvest ales from Southern Tier, Troegs, Goose Island, Peak, etc.
I knew about the 750s so I think the move to 6x340 mls a great step for them.

I consider Goose Island's basic IPA a very good value at under two bucks a bottle, so the Muskoka is only about half a buck more than that for a true Harvest Ale - very competitive pricing.
In Beerum Veritas

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

more rochefort 10 in stock

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

kevinlater wrote:more rochefort 10 in stock

Great. Let's hope its here to stay like Chimay. Any idea when the variety packs will start coming?

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Lukie wrote:Great. Let's hope its here to stay like Chimay. Any idea when the variety packs will start coming?
Good news is the Rochefort 10 is here to stay. Bad news is no gift packs this year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:Good news is the Rochefort 10 is here to stay. Bad news is no gift packs this year.
Rochefort beers use the same grain bill to brew all their beers with only the proportion of water adjusted.

Can you blend your own 6?
8)
In Beerum Veritas

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Belgian wrote:
biegaman wrote:Good news is the Rochefort 10 is here to stay. Bad news is no gift packs this year.
Rochefort beers use the same grain bill to brew all their beers with only the proportion of water adjusted.

Can you blend your own 6?
8)
Use Apolonaris spring water! Don't lower the carbonation. And stick a piece of juicy fruit in for ten mins.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Waterloo Applewood Roggenbier
Can 473 ml Price: $2.75

Collingwood Rockwell Pilsner
Can 473 ml Price: $2.85

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Now listed:

SCHNEIDER MATHILDA SOLEIL SUMMER WEISSE