Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

canadian. They said smutty nose shipped the beer to canada on sept 18th or something like that

currently aging in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be tested
S. St. Jeb wrote:
spinrsx wrote:NAC was saying on fb that the smutty nose finest kind IPA was supposed to be at TBS in time for thanksgiving weekend..
Canadian, or American, Thanksgiving?

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

spinrsx wrote:Had this last night. I was expecting more bourbon. It's a good beer but not enough barrel presence for me.
DaveBar wrote:
Lukie wrote:Can anyone do an in-depth tasting of the Six Boroughs Bourbon Barrel-Aged Rye Porter? Initially when I heard about this beer I thought it was going to be just another Ontario barrel aged/over priced fizzle; but it's anything but. This beer is big, yet alcohol is well in check, even for this style. The bourbon is there in spades. Wonderful deep red shiraz aroma and taste penetrate assertively too. Even hints of sour creep in. Also, a prune lover's delight. To me this is an instant, multi-layered Porter/Stout hit; too bad it's so limited. Ontario breweries should take some notes on this one. More stuff like this please. Would love it if one of you more sophisticated palates chimed in on this hidden gem.
Had it and bought a few for the cellar. Not that bourbonie as you think. Fresh Dragon's Milk had way more bourbon. This one is pretty mellow on that scale. If you go to Great Lake Brewery they have a BB porter that is far more pronounced. Check me at beer advocate- same user name and I reviewed both within the last few weeks. Plus there are food pairings that work well too! Enjoy. By the way you will see the prices and they are pretty similar in cost per ml.
Tried this last night at the new Bar Hop. I would agree that it is not as bourbon-forward as many other bourbon barrel aged beers, but that suits me just fine. Often times I find the bourbon so dominant that it really drowns out the underlying flavours of the beer. Not so with Six Boroughs which opened with rich malt presence and some dark chocolate notes. The bourbon was most present in the finish. Very silky mouthfeel - almost more stout than porter. Might have to pick up a bottle or two for cellaring or later enjoyment as the temperature continues to dip.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

North American Craft posted this on Facebook today:

"To all fans of Craft IPA. Smuttynose Brewing Co. Finestkind IPA will now be available in over 100 Self Serve Beer stores! ‪#‎newhampshire‬ ‪#‎craft‬"

It seems that TBS Store Locator doesn't allow a refined search for self-serve stores. Are all stores in Hamilton "we-serve-you"? Thanks for any help.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

spinrsx wrote:NAC was saying on fb that the smutty nose finest kind IPA was supposed to be at TBS in time for thanksgiving weekend..
NAC says a lot of things.

I don't think they have ever been right about the times they have given for any beer to hit shelves. I understand that at a certain point it is out of their hands as well, but I don't ever put any stock on anything I have read/heard from them directly.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

PeenSteen wrote:NAC says a lot of things.

I don't think they have ever been right about the times they have given for any beer to hit shelves. I understand that at a certain point it is out of their hands as well, but I don't ever put any stock on anything I have read/heard from them directly.
When I asked on FB about the actual date, NAC wrote: "it all depends on the Lcbo. Should be any day now."

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

zane9 wrote:North American Craft posted this on Facebook today:

"To all fans of Craft IPA. Smuttynose Brewing Co. Finestkind IPA will now be available in over 100 Self Serve Beer stores! ‪#‎newhampshire‬ ‪#‎craft‬"

It seems that TBS Store Locator doesn't allow a refined search for self-serve stores. Are all stores in Hamilton "we-serve-you"? Thanks for any help.

Upper James and Fennel is self serve defintely , maybe Waterdown or Westcliffe Mall, not sure.

Actually just search for Smuttynose in Hamilton and if stores come up you can check stock and see if they have any.

And then race there before me .......good luck with that! Lol!

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Ukie wrote:Upper James and Fennel is self serve defintely , maybe Waterdown or Westcliffe Mall, not sure.

Actually just search for Smuttynose in Hamilton and if stores come up you can check stock and see if they have any.

Thanks Ukie. You're confirming what someone just told me re. U. James and Fennell. See you there. I'll be at the cash before you!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Ukie wrote:
zane9 wrote:North American Craft posted this on Facebook today:

Upper James and Fennel is self serve defintely , maybe Waterdown or Westcliffe Mall, not sure.

I used to live in Hamilton and if memory serves the Westcliffe Mall location is also self-serve if you guys don't have any luck at Upper James and Fennel.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

ugh can't wait for finestkind. had it once before, absolutely loved it. just smashes you in the face with hops.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

jeremyg wrote:ugh can't wait for finestkind. had it once before, absolutely loved it. just smashes you in the face with hops.
When is it coming? Any rough dates yet?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Blasphomet wrote:
jeremyg wrote:ugh can't wait for finestkind. had it once before, absolutely loved it. just smashes you in the face with hops.
When is it coming? Any rough dates yet?
Check the posts above, it seems it's past due.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS:

Troll Toll Cream Ale
Refined Fool Brewing Company

Keltek Lance Golden Ale
Keltek Cornish Brewery

Number8

Post by Number8 »

Nevermind about Finest Kind. I'm still waiting on Harvest Ale to come to TBS.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Number8 wrote:Nevermind about Finest Kind. I'm still waiting on Harvest Ale to come to TBS.
It's at the LCBO (harvest ale)

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

ANY SMUTTYNOSE YET????????