Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO - Fresh Stock Locator

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

AugustusRex

LCBO - Fresh Stock Locator

Post by AugustusRex »

We should let each other know if an LCBO favourite is spotted in a fresh shipment.

Usually I just want to drink a good beer in decent condition. I can get around to all my favourites eventually this way, and I get to have them in top shape. I know it's hard to believe, but every so often we get very fresh beer at the LCBO. Here are some of my recent finds:

Hofbrau Original 2 months (Bayview Village)
Pilsner Urquell 1.5 months (Bayview Village)
Anchor Steam 1.5 months (Laird & Eglinton)

In the summer:
Schlenkerla Marzen 1 month
Weihenstepaner Hefe 1.5 months

Please post when you find a surprisingly fresh beer and post the location.

CURRENT:
Schlenkerla Marzen: BOTTLED AUG/2015
Pilsner Urquell: BOTTLED/ CANNED AUG/2015
Last edited by AugustusRex on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Not Lcbo, but TBS. Got some nice fresh tasting Cameron's RPA(haven't looked at date). Beer store in Guelphs south end

Number8

Post by Number8 »

Burlington Maple Mews LCBO has bombers of Cameron's RPA with a brew date of J1515.
Burlington Woodview Place LCBO has Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour with a date of Oct. 16, 2015. Probably can find fresher though.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Anchor Steam and Liberty Ale are both out with 9 2017 expiry dates. They are less than two months old, and you can find them refrigerated. This is the best time to re-assess these beers for anyone interested in their cultural importance.

I've had liberty a dozen or more times, but this is the first time that it has blown me away. Much better than the 5 month old Sierra Nevada thats sitting out there right now.

Liberty is also much more subtle but complex than the juicy Ontario pale ales. Definitely on the earthy and resiny side. Fantastic SMASH.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

AugustusRex wrote:Anchor Steam and Liberty Ale are both out with 9 2017 expiry dates. They are less than two months old, and you can find them refrigerated. This is the best time to re-assess these beers for anyone interested in their cultural importance.

I've had liberty a dozen or more times, but this is the first time that it has blown me away. Much better than the 5 month old Sierra Nevada thats sitting out there right now.

Liberty is also much more subtle but complex than the juicy Ontario pale ales. Definitely on the earthy and resiny side. Fantastic SMASH.
Good find, I'll pick up both. Thanks.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Best by March 11 2016 with 150 day shelf life (Bottled October 11, 2015)

Laird and Eglington LCBO

Having a side by side with Anchor Liberty Ale - Bottled September 2015 also from Laird and Eglington.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

The freshest Pilsner Urquell is now labeled: best before 18 07 16. Since Pilsner Urquell has a 9 month shelf life, it was brewed October 18 2015, so its under two months old.

There is Liberty Ale stock dated 10 2016, so its under 90 days old.

SNPA is out dated October 24 2015, so this is a great time to pick it up. (24 03 16)

Schlenkerla Marzen is out dated 10/2016, so it was brewed sometime in October.
Last edited by AugustusRex on Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

AugustusRex wrote: Schlenkerla Marzen is out dated 10/2016, so it was brewed sometime in October.
Thanks. It's been a while since I've had this and I've been meaning to pick some up - I'll keep an eye out for the relatively fresh bottles.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

Fresh Weihenstepaner Hefeweissbier - BB 13/10/2016

Bottled October 13, so around 2 months old. It's drinking very nicely.

* Has anybody opened a bottle from the Bastard Box? How are the beers tasting? I am not sure if the bottles have a 3 month or 5 month BB date in Ontario. I know the first Stone shipments had their expiry dates extended.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Found some Nickel Brook Headstock canned 31 Dec 2015 at the Warden/Eglinton Smart Centre LCBO. It stuck out more than usual since it seems that the can wrapper is a new material (glossier, smoother vs. the older almost papery feeling wrap). The beer itself is also clearer and more filtered than I've seen in the past, quite clear now, it doesn't have the distinctive haze that I remember. Either way, it's drinking very nicely!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

seangm wrote:Found some Nickel Brook Headstock canned 31 Dec 2015
I had some from the same batch from Keele/Lawrence, very good indeed!

I haven't been buying too much Headstock since NB dropped the ball with their can dating. Some cans dated with black ink on mostly black labels (genius!) Others are marked under the can, but it's impossible to read. Usually I can't find any date at all, likely wiped off or too well camouflaged.

In the good old days they always had clear dates on the bottom of their cans.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Lots of Headstocks with a Jan 6 canning date around the Niagara Region. Same with the Lake Effect IPA, Jan 6th date on them too.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.