Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new at TBS

Nita Beer Company - Ten12 Blonde Ale
Can 473 ml Price: $2.95

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Grabbed some Aphrodite today. Yeah, not thrilled about the date. But I've always loved it. Keeping my receipt should I find it too unpleasant.

But I REALLLLLLLY love it when an LCBO employee makes comments about the price of beer compared to what it was like in their day. Oh yeah, such an impressed customer am I. ;)

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

midlife crisis wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:

I have to say I disagree about the selection of stouts at the LCBO. Bolshevik Bastard is extremely worty, and doesn't hold a candle to the stouts across the border. I don't even have a stout in my regular LCBO rotation, and I love stouts.
Tempest? Russian Gun?
Tempest is ok, but I wouldn't pay $5 for a bottle of either of those even semi-regularly. Not when there are cheaper and better beers available. We have great IPAs from GLB and other Ontario breweries available year-round, as good as what you can find in the states. I don't understand why there are so few well made stouts.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

AugustusRex wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:

I have to say I disagree about the selection of stouts at the LCBO. Bolshevik Bastard is extremely worty, and doesn't hold a candle to the stouts across the border. I don't even have a stout in my regular LCBO rotation, and I love stouts.
Tempest? Russian Gun?
Tempest is ok, but I wouldn't pay $5 for a bottle of either of those even semi-regularly. Not when there are cheaper and better beers available. We have great IPAs from GLB and other Ontario breweries available year-round, as good as what you can find in the states. I don't understand why there are so few well made stouts.
If Clifford Porter gets into the LCBO at a decent price that will be my go-to.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout fills the gap a bit. Very satisfying at 5%.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

FEUO wrote:Grabbed some Aphrodite today. Yeah, not thrilled about the date. But I've always loved it. Keeping my receipt should I find it too unpleasant.

But I REALLLLLLLY love it when an LCBO employee makes comments about the price of beer compared to what it was like in their day. Oh yeah, such an impressed customer am I. ;)
I thought it was excellent. Don't see anyone having to return it.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

midlife crisis wrote:
If Clifford Porter gets into the LCBO at a decent price that will be my go-to.
Wholeheartedly agree. I really like this beer.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Blasphomet wrote:
FEUO wrote:Grabbed some Aphrodite today. Yeah, not thrilled about the date. But I've always loved it. Keeping my receipt should I find it too unpleasant.

yeah,i thought it was fine.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

rfrf wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

I'll chime in and say the DDC Aphrodite I drank last night tasted great too.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

jp_jkl wrote:
rfrf wrote:
I'll chime in and say the DDC Aphrodite I drank last night tasted great too.[/quote]
Sounds good. I've had Aphro's nearly a year old in the past without a major issue. Guess I got caught up in the negativity of the LCBO aging this for us. ;)

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

AugustusRex wrote:I have to say I disagree about the selection of stouts at the LCBO. Bolshevik Bastard is extremely worty, and doesn't hold a candle to the stouts across the border. I don't even have a stout in my regular LCBO rotation, and I love stouts.
I'd say Stonehammer Coffee Oatmeal Stout now fits the bill, but the LCBO lists it as 'limited quantities'. I was hoping it'd be a permanent listing. Apart from that, as mentioned St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is probably the best readily available stout.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

seangm wrote:
AugustusRex wrote:I have to say I disagree about the selection of stouts at the LCBO. Bolshevik Bastard is extremely worty, and doesn't hold a candle to the stouts across the border. I don't even have a stout in my regular LCBO rotation, and I love stouts.
I'd say Stonehammer Coffee Oatmeal Stout now fits the bill, but the LCBO lists it as 'limited quantities'. I was hoping it'd be a permanent listing. Apart from that, as mentioned St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is probably the best readily available stout.

I like all the stouts mentioned - even bolshevik although there is sometimes something prickly about the taste. I would also add Sinha stout, which has been my reliable go to stout for years.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Both Bolshevik and Kentucky are excellent imperial stouts imo. Sure not as great as some that come out of the US, but there aren't many outside of Peche Mortel that are as good.

I agree Sinha is good for it's price, and for what it is, but if you want to talk lower tier, I'd leave the Nickel Brook stuff out of it and focus more on the likes of Russian Gun and Wellington. But again, but are okay at their price point. A four pack of Bolshevik for $10 though? A steal imo.

That being said, I'm a Nickel Brook and Great Lakes Brewery fanboy when it comes to what Ontario brewers are doing. i think they tower over any others that are available at the LC.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Got some lake effect ipa at the lcbo today canned feb 8th. Is this a regular listing?

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

spinrsx wrote:Got some lake effect ipa at the lcbo today canned feb 8th. Is this a regular listing?
No .I read the other day they just canned the last batch for this years Lake Effect.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.