Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

CoolB wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Got some lake effect ipa at the lcbo today canned feb 8th. Is this a regular listing?
No .I read the other day they just canned the last batch for this years Lake Effect.
I'm thinking of buying a few to drink in the summer (perhaps longer). Looking for recommendations as to how long the Lake Effect will keep?
@markhamwhisky

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

portwood wrote:
CoolB wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Got some lake effect ipa at the lcbo today canned feb 8th. Is this a regular listing?
No .I read the other day they just canned the last batch for this years Lake Effect.
I'm thinking of buying a few to drink in the summer (perhaps longer). Looking for recommendations as to how long the Lake Effect will keep?
I honestly don't know the real answer but if I had to guess I think lake effect would be a good choice of IPA's to keep a little longer. I just feel the Juicy hop effect of this beer wont fade as easily as other beers. Again, it's just a feeling.
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

For what it's worth, I feel that most Great Lakes ipa's do lose a lot after a period of time. I especially remember last years lake effect having a very short shelf life as far as the juicy hop flavour goes. Can't speak in this years, as I drank all mine fresh....but if I had to guess, I'd assume it won't fare well into the summer

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I really hope great lakes does more cans of their various ipas for the lcbo. I really prefer this format over the $6 bombers

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

spinrsx wrote:I really hope great lakes does more cans of their various ipas for the lcbo. I really prefer this format over the $6 bombers
Same here. Kind of tired of the big bottles....just give me smaller formats, whether bottles or cans, and I'll actually buy more.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

El Pinguino wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I really hope great lakes does more cans of their various ipas for the lcbo. I really prefer this format over the $6 bombers
Same here. Kind of tired of the big bottles....just give me smaller formats, whether bottles or cans, and I'll actually buy more.
Which IPA do great lakes tend to release after Lake Effect?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Winter is Coming wrote:Which IPA do great lakes tend to release after Lake Effect?
As far as I can tell there's no consistent schedule with GLB. But they seem to be producing much larger batches of IPA these days (specifically the latest batches of Lake Effect and Thurst). Maybe one day soon we'll see a regular IPA in the LCBO.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

El Pinguino wrote:
Yah, it's interesting how the format can affect the total amount purchased. With big bottles, I almost always just purchase one, but with cans, I purchase more. It only takes two cans to be more volume than one large bottle. I wonder what all comes into play with the breweries decisions.

MattS

Post by MattS »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Yah, it's interesting how the format can affect the total amount purchased. With big bottles, I almost always just purchase one, but with cans, I purchase more. It only takes two cans to be more volume than one large bottle. I wonder what all comes into play with the breweries decisions.
Two things I think - canning lines are expensive, you can charge more per millilitre for big bottles and consumers will pay it.

Also, (and I don't think this is still true), the LCBO went through a phase of wanting everything in big bottles, so that was how breweries packaged so they could actually get it into the only viable retail stream.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Winter is Coming wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:
Which IPA do great lakes tend to release after Lake Effect?
Their IPA's all use different hops. Sourcing some of these hops is not always easy I assume. Breweries have contracts for hops and I imagine obtaining such contracts might not always be easy, such as for the Nelson Sauvin used in Thrust!

Would be interesting to learn more about how they source their hops and plan their releases.

Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

Which IPA do great lakes tend to release after Lake Effect?[/quote]

Their IPA's all use different hops. Sourcing some of these hops is not always easy I assume. Breweries have contracts for hops and I imagine obtaining such contracts might not always be easy, such as for the Nelson Sauvin used in Thrust!

Would be interesting to learn more about how they source their hops and plan their releases.[/quote]

Seeing as the only GLB IPA's ive had were Thrust! and Lake Effect I look forward to any additional releases. Bonus points if they're in tallboys.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I thought I saw My Bitter Wife on their FB page. Honestly, they're all good and I'll happily drink anything that hits the LCBO.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

portwood wrote:
CoolB wrote:
I find the hops have faded a bit already. I just drank an older can (I think November or early December canning) that I still had lying around and found it to be muted compared to the later Feb 8th batch. It's still good of course, but I think by summer they'll lose a lot of that initial hoppy freshness.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Ceecee wrote:I thought I saw My Bitter Wife on their FB page. Honestly, they're all good and I'll happily drink anything that hits the LCBO.
MBW hasn't been in the LCBO for close to two years now so you've gotta think it's due for another release. Not that I'd complain if they skipped the rotation and went right on to Karma Citra or Thrust.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

GLB just tweeted a can of Thrust being available in their retail on Friday....