Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Secret agreement between LCBO & Beer Store - Star exclus

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

instantkamera wrote:Yeah, SAQ are a bunch of elitist wine snobs. They barely even deal in beer; basically, if it's not from Belgium, it's shit.
Sounds like a perfect Canadian monopoly. Why do we have such retarded Crown Corps?

I question the efficiency of government (and the insensitive waste of our tax revenue) on all levels when I see these kinds of lame institutions parading as 'neccessary' public services.
In Beerum Veritas

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

The SAQ used to be great for beer, although they did definitely skew towards Belgians. Over the last decade, they definitely reduced their selection although you can still find interesting stuff that is not found elsewhere. I do like them for wine, and I'm glad to have the choice between the LCBO and SAQ. If you're subject to government monopoly, might as well have the choice of two! :-)

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

The SAQ used to be great for beer, although they did definitely skew towards Belgians. Over the last decade, they definitely reduced their selection although you can still find interesting stuff that is not found elsewhere. I do like them for wine, and I'm glad to have the choice between the LCBO and SAQ. If you're subject to government monopoly, might as well have the choice of two! :-)

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

LCBO-Beer Store deal looks unfair and will 'absolutely' be changed: Wynne

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/l ... -1.2878843

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Craig wrote:
Cass wrote:I guess this is one of the reasons breweries join the OCB:

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2014/12 ... rovements/
Aren't Brick and Cassels non-members?
Cassel joined the OCB recently.

Brick used to be a member, but left some time ago.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I think we all knew this was coming, but Wynne confirmed they're not going the corner store route:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/02 ... n-alcohol/

Sounds like the changes are going to be lame. Might even just be a fee for TBS to pay the government to maintain the status quo.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Craig wrote:I think we all knew this was coming, but Wynne confirmed they're not going the corner store route:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/02 ... n-alcohol/

Sounds like the changes are going to be lame. Might even just be a fee for TBS to pay the government to maintain the status quo.
It is interesting that the article says that changes are coming "to the way beer, wine and spirits are sold". The beer and wine thing was to be expected, but I wonder what they are going to be able to do to change how hard liquor is sold in Ontario? I mean other than the LCBO there aren't really many other options.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:Sounds like the changes are going to be lame. Might even just be a fee for TBS to pay the government to maintain the status quo.
Yes, why innovate the system when they can just invent ways to collect more money. Do they have plans to give us a break with that money, or just waste it in slush funds like they usually do?

'... give taxpayers "a fair share" of profits from its near-monopoly...' - concretely meaning what, how? FFS. Status Quo payoff, indeed.
In Beerum Veritas